• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where will FFversusXIII stand in 2013? (Seriously no jokes please)

Am I the only one that can't imagine myself holding a copy of this game in my hands?

It will be pretty surreal when the moment arrives, after all that we've came through... so mane vaporware rumors, trailer, changes, meltdowns, E3's and TGS's...

>_<
It's weird to think that I'll likely play it for the first few hours before adding it to my backlog like I do for practically every other game.

This game is still coming out , I think it'll be re-branded final fantasy 15 but square isn't going to compete with themselves so I still don't expect it anytime soon.

A timeline-
1997 - FF7 released, development begins on FF8

1998 - FF8 announced early in the year, demo available a few months later, included with brave fencer musashi

1999 - final fantasy spirits within/ square pictures is created , final fantasy 8 released february in japan, september in america. Squaresoft does their millennial conference - announces final fantasy 9,10,11 and showcases much better trailer for spirits within. New direction going forward is betting the farm on the movie as well as trying to get into the emerging online gaming market with FFXI.

2000- ps2 comes out , final fantasy 9 releases in the US only a couple months after it's japanese debut. , yet more footage is shown off for spirits within. Looks years ahead of anything else at the time.

2001- Summer, FFX makes it out in japan and the final fantasy movie releases world wide. It's declared a failure, square never does recover from the failed investment. FFXI still on track for a 2002 release in japan. PS2 version requires hard drive that remains unavailable in the US for quite some time.

2002- Japan gets both the ps2 release as well as the PC version of FFXI. Roughly 3 final fantasy games released in 3 years- the millenial conference goals are a success... sadly the movie took a huge hit on squares cash reserves. A lack of funds and company direction for the future results in a quick cash in project being started- FFX-2 began development early in this year in the hopes of having a new final fantasy title ready for the following year.

2003- FFXI launch continues worldwide, staggered across territories and platforms. The rushed direct sequel idea works , ffx-2 launches in both japan and the US this year. Development begins on final fantasy 12, targeting a late 2004/early 2005 release.

2004-FFXI shifts to a smaller team that makes patches and expansions , original ffxi team sent to help out with FFXII. FFX-2 team begins experimenting with an FFXIII project, planned for ps2 release in 2005/2006. Early development is literally a modded ffx-2, just to test concepts. This early production work is done entirely independent of FFXII's development. Compilation of FF7 also announced at this time.

2005- Sony announces the PS3, bluray "you will want a second job" etc. Microsoft releases xbox 360. Upon seeing the specs of the ps3, the small ff13 team is given the opportunity to create a tech demo with what they think they can do. Not having anything ready to go and with the "advent children" movie recently released, they slap together a "real time" demo of the opening cinematic of FF7 using character models from the advent children movie. Everyone seems very impressed by this and wants a remake of the game. Final Fantasy 12's expected release is delayed twice this year, finally settling on an early 2006 release. Tetsuya nomura , having finished with kingdom hearts 2 and advent children moves on to create his own final fantasy game. Early work also begins on a follow-up to FF11, a new MMO in the final fantasy universe, with the XIII team done their tech demo , nomura ready to go on something new AND the MMO, a project is put forth to create a next gen game engine capable of producing that ff7 demo on a ps3.

2006- Compilation of FF7 ends up being a pretty good success for square, and so , with FF12 finally released worldwide work begins on the crystal toolset and some basic design is ready to go for FF13. Nomura also moves on to make his own concept, instead of just being the character designer he is taking on a bigger role , directing and writing much of this new games content. The bigwigs decide this new company focus needs a central name and direction and the compilation of FF13 fabula nova crystalis is born. Comprised of final fantasy 13 (now officially announced with a brief trailer) , FF versus 13 (with it's own short trailer later in the year) and FF 13 Agito for handheld devices. Fans largely assume 2007 and 2008 will each have their own new final fantasy adventure...

2007- Unfortunately , developing their own engine proves much more difficult then square expected , as well the PS3 ends up not being as powerful as they were lead to believe. Final fantasy 13's CG movies are largely finished by the end of this year because the scenario design is finished. Due to delays in engine development , actual game creation fails to commence for the entire year. Trailers showing 15 seconds of new footage for Xiii and Xiii versus each surface. Agito kind of disappears.

2008-The crystal tools/white engine is finally ready to go but more dilemmas occur- the traditional method of developing an RPG is to do it chronologically , so large portions of the team are mismanaged and game elements are finished very slowly. Perhaps release of the game may have been planned for late 2008 , instead it's delayed until at least 2009. Because of this , it's decided internally that FF14, the previously untitled MMO project needs to release in 2010. Versus 13 likely had it's scenario design finished at some point in 2008, but with XIII and XIV now internally announced and behind schedule, nomura is in no hurry and likely wasn't given a full team to work with. The final portion of FF7's compilation releases in north america- Crisis Core. Development of Agito is shifted to psp only.

2009- FF14 is officially announced to the public at E3, planned as a ps3/pc release in 2010. A playable demo of FFXIII is released at long last to many cheers but it heralds in a horrible truth- the game will only JUST make it out in japan this year. Near it's japanese release it's announced for worldwide release in march of 2010. Due to it's long and expensive schedule, development is handed to tri-ace to create a sequel for release in 2011 in the hopes of recovering as much cost as possible. Again, Nomuras team gets the shaft and resources are pooled into rushing ff14 out the door as soon as possibly to start making money on it as well.

2010- Final Fantasy XIII finally makes it out the door for everyone to play. Upon release, FF14 is welcomed as the weakest final fantasy game in history and is branded a pariah of an online game. Squares execs cause a shake-up , some people leave, others are promoted and an immediate plan begins to 'save' ff14 and re-launch it , but this time it's decided there's no rush. Do it right and make money back instead of releasing a giant turd. In the meantime, agito 13 gets re-named final fantasy type 0 and is scheduled for release the following year. Nomura's team is forced to go back to the drawing board with many concepts after the resounding complaints of "no towns , no gameplay variety" pointed at XIII. The scenario remains the same but I get the feeling whatever gameplay was in place at this time got scrapped.

2011- Development on the actual gameplay present in versus XIII begins, hence the OP's lengthy trailer from this same year. It's the first time the games been anything more then storyboards and notes and CG movies. FF14 gets a re-development pipeline aiming for re-launch in january 2013. Subscription fees are waived while the game is being fixed. FF type 0 finally releases on PSP, due to the dead market outside of japan , no english release is planned. FFXIII-2 releases, and fails to sell as much as square was expecting but it still makes money.

2012- FFXIII-2 releases internationally, does pretty well for itself, work begins on FFXIII-3. Over the course of the past year, development on versus has been progressing well but it's not going to make it out until at least 2013. Recently, ff14's re-launch also suffered a minor delay and it is now aiming for march of 2013.

2013- Spring will see FF14's relaunch go off with some success , as well as a japanese release of lightning returns and by the summer time we'll get it over here as well. High possibility of a playable demo for Versus -XIII being included with it. I also STILL believe that it will release on both the 360/ps3 in every market outside of japan. Japanese release of the game is possible for december of next year. Remember people- ps3 sales haven't even hit 10 million over there - they will NOT be porting it ps4.

2014- worldwide release of versus 13/ probably retitled FFXV by this point or just final fantasy versus is guaranteed. I'd say if it isn't out by the end of this year it's been cancelled and square isn't the type to cancel a game with that much money sunk into it. With any luck, this year will see an expansion for FFXIV , having gained new success with the realm reborn release.

2015 and beyond- by this point a ps4 will be out , and with any luck after the debacle that engine delays brought THIS generation, we'll have seen a Nextbox/ps4 final fantasy game built in a similar fashion to how agni's philosophy was made.
crazy to actually see the timeline like that.

Exentryk

I'll stick to the Asia version like I did with XIII. I just don't see English VA fitting in this one. Well, I never do. :p

But then you can't buy DLC from your native store, right? Buying PSN cards and creating different accounts is such a hassle.

Reveirg

This game is still coming out , I think it'll be re-branded final fantasy 15 but square isn't going to compete with themselves so I still don't expect it anytime soon.

A timeline-
etc.

Curious as to what your sources are, or is some of that simply speculations?

DJIzana

Final Fantasy XV has to be something completely new. I doubt they'd rename Versus.

Knowing Square Enix... they'll probably use the Agni's Philosophy tech demo and make that the foundation for FFXV. (If the feedback from the survey they got was positive.)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Knowing Square Enix... they'll probably use the Agni's Philosophy tech demo and make that the foundation for FFXV. (If the feedback from the survey they got was positive.)

I hope a majority was negative in some area's. There were clear things I disliked. Considering they put everything they thought signified what they thought FF was and I disagreed with it quite highly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I might as well do the same depending on my levels of hype. Will probably be my first japanese import. :S
I've imported a few games before and my Japanese is getting a bit better now, but if for any reason we get stuck, there's always YouTube and people on GAF (Kagari!) to guide us. The only problem is the cost, but I don't mind paying a crazy amount to get this game day 1.

I'll stick to the Asia version like I did with XIII. I just don't see English VA fitting in this one. Well, I never do. :p
Yeah, but I'll probably end up buying every version. :p

I really doubt that, but I could see them putting that female character in the game.

DJIzana

I hope a majority was negative in some area's. There were clear things I disliked. Considering they put everything they thought signified what they thought FF was and I disagreed with it quite highly.

The only thing I liked about that trailer was the city they showed off at the very end and the summoning ritual. That's about it. The grandmaster was a cool character but I wasn't a fan of much else.

Pachinko

Curious as to what your sources are, or is some of that simply speculations?

It's 80% just reading interviews/wiki's over the years and piecing the rest together with speculation. There is only a single wrench in everything I just wrote up there, there's a reasonable chance that for some of versus' early development Nomura had access to the same team he worked with on kingdom hearts 2.

I only JUST re-watched that trailer the OP linked and the gameplay for combat looks pretty much exactly like kingdom hearts except with vehicle support. This would also explain the age old question of "where's kingdom hearts 3". Different teams have worked on the portable side stories so that's easy to explain away. The core kingdom hearts team though, I think that's mostly who is working on versus , perhaps they weren't able to really "go to town" as I mention in that time line until very recently, perhaps not.

I've figured the original plan , if square had their way- x-2 in 2003, xii in 2004(japan), 2005(US) and 2006 would have seen a ps2 version of XIII. Once the ps3 was decided as the platform I think development shifted ahead 1 year... XII DID indeed go through numerous delays as well. I think it's a very reasonable guess that XIII was supposed to come out in december of 2007 for japan and be ready by fall of 2008 for the US, but everything went far slower then expected. There's also the poor sales of 360/ps3 in asia , that didn't help the delay much. Had FFXIII remained ps3 only we could have had it a few months sooner I'm sure.

Versus was always intended to be released last I think, with all the delays and problems with all the other titles in the last 5 years it's basically just come down to finishing it off. Even Lightning returns I can't help but feel is little more then a stop gap title. Something square can cheaply throw out to for sure have a new game next year in case versus isn't quite ready. Only time will tell I suppose.. they aren't going to do any PR work for versus until LR and XIV are out of the limelight though. Expect an announcement after next march.

Stark

Banned

Definitely. :/ That's why I'm fine if it's just some spin-off, but again- the whole East meets West thing isn't something I like. At least that's the big negative part for me.

jimmypython

Agni will be the first FF on next gen consoles. It also takes time for the new consoles to reach a decent install base. I'm guessing it will be at least 2 more years after the new console launch for this game to come out.

So it is reasonable for Versus to be XV and the last FF on the current gen systems. Let Agni be XVI.....

Shinta

Banned
Good thing that Agni video is just as much a game as that FFVII tech demo from E3 2005 :D

Not necessarily. The didn't have a survey at the end of the FFVII tech demo. None of it was really original content either.

They're still not quite sure where the audience is right now, so getting feedback and basing future projects on the feedback is something they're a lot more open to now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Was that done on Crystal Tools?

FFVII tech demo? No it was not. It was done on a PC with similar specs to the PS3.

Have they outright stated it? Just curious.

They've said it's not a game multiple times. Their goal is to get people interested in helping finish the engine, hence why they keep showing it at various developer conferences.

If I were a betting man I'd bet against Versus being renamed to FFXV. I just have a really hard time believing that they'd make FFXV be a game that was revealed several years before FFXIV. It's like the ultimate admittance of failure.

Stark

Banned
They've said it's not a game multiple times. Their goal is to get people interested in helping finish the engine, hence why they keep showing it at various developer conferences.

Thanks. Its definitely good to get the tech going this early.

Zeal

Banned
God, Nomura looks like a fucking anime character brought to life, and not in a good way.

FFVII tech demo was on Crystal Tools. They wanted to showcase that engine.

And yet that demo had all the coolest parts of FF rolled into one. Would love a game based on the short scenario shown with it.

demidar

If I were a betting man I'd bet against Versus being renamed to FFXV. I just have a really hard time believing that they'd make FFXV be a game that was revealed several years before FFXIV. It's like the ultimate admittance of failure.

Yeah that won't happen, unless they rip out everything from the FNC mythos since each number is a self-contained unvierse (besides some Easter egg stuff like Cid, Biggs/Wedge, and Gilgamesh).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
CT did not exist yet. The trailer was made before FFXIII was moved to PS3 - it was still in development for PS2.
Really scarce info on this, very Interesting. So they basically moved FFXIII to PS3 due to the positive reception the tech demo got?

CorvoSol

Good thing that Agni video is just as much a game as that FFVII tech demo from E3 2005 :D

Does this mean that, like the tech demo, I will never stop hearing about Agni's Philosophy? It was impressive graphically, but I cannot see WHY people are putting so much faith into that. You'd think we'd've all learned our lessons from the XIII trailer, and how we all thought it would be the greatest FF.

Pooya

maybe AK guys imported from Modern Warfare and Resident Evil dogs are what people want to have in FF :3

I think those mages and their cloths looked good, the ending view was good too, everything else eh. Made me want a new Panzer Dragoon game instead...

Stark

Banned
I wish they focused on the large city and maybe a bit more on the Magic vs Science(?). But it is just a tech demo. It's an interesting concept though that seems to make its way into Type-0 I felt. It wasn't the forefront, but it was done well. I wouldn't mind if they also took that, but in better form.

DJIzana

Does this mean that, like the tech demo, I will never stop hearing about Agni's Philosophy? It was impressive graphically, but I cannot see WHY people are putting so much faith into that. You'd think we'd've all learned our lessons from the XIII trailer, and how we all thought it would be the greatest FF.

Not true. I saw both XIII and Versus XIII's trailer in 2006 during the E3 event. I knew from my own taste that the original XIII wasn't something I'd be interested in.

Dunno, I found it very well directed and exciting (disregarding the fancy graphics). And it got me intrigued about what kind of world it was. I don't remember any CG cutscene in XIII that moved me the same way.

And now that you've mentioned it, my impression of XIII from that trailer was pretty accurate too: Lightning looks great, combat looks fun, game looks pretty; story? what story? look how pretty everything is!

LuuKyK

maybe AK guys imported from Modern Warfare and Resident Evil dogs are what people want to have in FF :3

I think those mages and their cloths looked good, the ending view was good too, everything else eh. Made me want a new Panzer Dragoon game instead...

I defintely didn't like the AK soldiers or whatever either, felt really out of place. The altered dogs are ok since they could be a mutation caused by failed magic experiences or something. But yeah, I really liked the rest: the way the magic seemed painful, the cure potion in a soda bottle, the mages, the clothes, Agni herself, and, of course, that final take on the dragon with the huge city on the background specially. I can't wait to see the direction they take in the next entry after Versus.

CorvoSol

Not true. I saw both XIII and Versus XIII's trailer in 2006 during the E3 event. I knew from my own taste that the original XIII wasn't something I'd be interested in.

I hate to be the guy, but your avatar, username, and post history indicate that you were suckered in by Versus, which, while it hasn't come out and flopped yet, doesn't exactly make you exempt from my point. Which is that it's high time we stopped hyping ourselves over Square's trailers.

Dunno, I found it very well directed and exciting (disregarding the fancy graphics). And it got me intrigued about what kind of world it was. I don't remember any CG cutscene in XIII that moved me the same way.

And now that you've mentioned it, my impression of XIII from that trailer was pretty accurate too: Lightning looks great, combat looks fun, game looks pretty; story? what story? look how pretty everything is!

There isn't any more story in Agni's than in XIII's. Look at the protagonist run around with shiny hair and enemies firing at her!

Agni's Philosophy would never meet the expectations of the fanbase if made into a game, because between here and then the fanbase would hype itself up to the point of sickness, and when it came out, the expectations would be so outlandishly high, no game could meet them.

XIII did not. Why should I ever believe that Agni's or Versus will? Type-0 and Bravely Default looked great prior to launch, but then, I'm not questioning Square's ability to make hand helds.

What real reason is there to believe that a game based on Agni's Philosophy would not turn out just as disappointing and deceptive as XIII did? Oh yes, none. And since there isn't, this constant treatment of Agni's as if there was is something I'd rather see less of.

Necron

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will still be in development or cancelled by the end of 2013. I hope that they'll rename it as XV and re-reveal it at either E3 or TGS as the next big thing.

I hate to be the guy, but your avatar, username, and post history indicate that you were suckered in by Versus, which, while it hasn't come out and flopped yet, doesn't exactly make you exempt from my point. Which is that it's high time we stopped hyping ourselves over Square's trailers.

There isn't any more story in Agni's than in XIII's. Look at the protagonist run around with shiny hair and enemies firing at her!

Err... I beg to differ. Many, many questions about AG's world popped into my head as I watched the trailer. Maybe because it was something I've never seen in FF before. Even without that, her escape was pretty suspenseful.

Absolutely boggles the mind hearing people calling this their most anticipated game when we know and have seen next to nothing about th game.

I hope it comes out and delivers the Final Fantasyexperience all the other XIII have failed to deliver but I'm. It losing any sleep over it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely boggles the mind hearing people calling this their most anticipated game when we know and have seen next to nothing about th game.

I hope it comes out and delivers the Final Fantasyexperience all the other XIII have failed to deliver but I'm. It losing any sleep over it.

We do know quite a bit about the game already after the number of interviews over the last 6,7 years.

What we do not know is whether they have implemented what they said. And many are eagerly waiting for news.

I do agree with the part about being too hyped though. My hype for the game has a half life of about one year.

demidar

Part of it is thinking it could be truly great, part of it is morbid curiosity, and another part wants to see the massive shitstorm that will happen when it releases and sucks monkey balls.

Top Bottom