• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whew, I’m emotionally DRAINED after marathoning Breaking Bad (open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ugh, I never planned on watching this show but I got Netflix in the fall and I promised my brother I'd watch it if I ever got Netflix (it's one of his faves). Well, it's March now and I finally fulfilled my promise (he threatened to stop watching Game of Thrones if I didn't, he was serious, he never finished Season 5 :/)

O....M.....F like what did I just watch??? This show was AMAZING. Like top 3 of all time level good (next to Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones). I was never interested in giving the show a shot cuz:
A. I'm not into drugs
B. It stars "Hal" from that horrid show Malcolm in the Middle

Wow was I wrong. Jesse Pinkman turned out to be my favorite character, loved him. Aaron Paul is fantastic. Equally fantastic is the show's lead, Walter While played expertly by Bryan Cranston. Lord, the way I slowly grew to hate Walt more and more over the course of the show and flat out rooted against him in the final season. I was always hoping he'd somehow redeem himself at some point, but the final straw for me was when it was revealed HE was the one who poisoned Jesse's girlfriend's kid :( OMG and when he killed Mike :( :( :(

Gus Fring, the "Chicken Man" was an amazing villain too. I only knew the actor from playing Regina's Mirror on the Wall from Once Upon a Time lmfao but he was really fascinating to watch on BB. His death was shocking, I gasped when he walked out of the bombed hospital room with half his face missing and dropped dead. Honestly, the Neo-Nazi gang and Lydia in Season 5 didn't compare to him at all.

I have to say, after watching the finale I read about the show online for a bit and was shocked to learn a huge portion of the fans hate Skyler White? They see her as some "shrew"? I wasn't a big fan of her in Season 1 and 2, but came around in Season 3. Anna Gunn is a phenomenal actress. One of the best scenes of the series was when she pulls a knife on Walt near the end, my heart was in my throat. When Walt grabs the baby and runs off in his truck, and Skyler is running after him down the street screaming and crying, I legit teared up
JZbssG3.gif

I was thinking about watching Better Call Saul, but he's a "good in small doses" character for me. I don't think I could handle a whole show based on that slippery snake.

I'm so sad that the show is over now, I would have liked to pace myself but I had to binge watch, it was just too good and I couldn't help myself

mo1ddqv.gif

Schrade

I was thinking about watching Better Call Saul, but he's a "good in small doses" character for me. I don't think I could handle a whole show based on that slippery snake.

Don't miss out on Better Call Saul just because of that. I wasn't much of a fan of Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad... he provided some laughs sometimes but he was so cringy.

Learning about Jimmy/James McGill in Better Call Saul has turned me to love him (as he was pre-BB). It is an amazing show with amazing characters and more MIKE!

Watch it. You already learned your lesson about Breaking Bad and not watching it - don't do it again with Better Call Saul.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now check out the Sopranos and The Wire and perfect the trifecta of best shows ever.

Krejlooc

Banned
I like how the first half of your post is "OMG don't judge a book by its cover" then end your post making the exact same mistake about Better Call Saul, lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Try marathoning Six Feet Under in 5 days. Then you can talk about drained.

But yeah BB is great.

-griffy-

Banned
Watch Better Call Saul, your reaction to Breaking Bad almost ensure you'll dig it. It's absolutely not what you'd think it is based solely on the title and the character as he is in Breaking Bad.

Red Hood

Banned
Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were amazing, but I think in comparison season 4 and especially season 5 shit all over it from a rather great hight. Obviously with all due respect to 1/2/3, because those three are easily far better than the majority of television, but fuck, 4/5 were fucking insane.

Mindlog

Better Call Saul is great. Many of us had doubts, but the first season shut us up pretty quick.

If want another show where the central characters are more villainous, but even more sympathetic try The Americans.

Pryce

The show had the weakest ending of any great drama. They completely killed an already weak character in Jesse and the Heisenberg shtick had gotten old.

The Gus Fring arc was incredible, though. Remains one of my favorite arcs of any TV show this decade.

PS: Better Call Saul in many ways is better than Breaking Bad.

Nekofrog

Banned
Everyone singing Saul's praises should probably put a disclaimer: Almost 2 whole seasons in and it hasn't yet reached (or even gotten anywhere close) the level of hyper violence that Breaking Bad did in its first.

It's a much slower show, slower than even Breaking Bad's slow episodes (Fly).

It's still great if you're the kind of person that actually pays attention to character nuance.

Coolluck

This thread shows that even people with no taste can appreciate Breaking Bad. Your brother was in a win-win situation.

TheYanger

Better Call Saul is 100% not what you think it is if you are basing it just on Saul Goodman and assuming it'll be a campy little Saul being Saul type thing.

It's VERY good so far.

Nameless

Now go watch Deadwood, OP. Third greatest show ever after Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Plus Ian McShane gives one of the few performances on par with Cranston's Walter White.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Now go watch Deadwood, OP. Third greatest show ever after Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Plus Ian McShane gives one of the few performances on par with Cranston's Walter White.
i wouldnt go that far. Its great but it really suffers because HBO cancelled it after 3 seasons for some ungodly reason.

Nameless

i wouldnt go that far. Its great but it really suffers because HBO cancelled it after 3 seasons for some ungodly reason.

Milch's dialogue is a truly incredible achievement. That alone puts it in the conversation. And while the end point was unintended and there were a few loose ends, it didn't end with some crazy unresolved cliffhanger. Though I did spend a couple of hours reading up on what happened to the town and real life characters.

Money. Why else? Same reason they cancelled Rome, and the heartbreakingly shortened Carnivale. God I loved that show! Anything set wholly in another historical setting needs sets which are expensive. Shows in a modern day setting get longer runs as a result. Game of Thrones does buck this trend somewhat but it is incredibly popular, and being fantasy, can get away using existing buildings (everything architecturally gorgeous in Croatia + the Dalmatian coast.) without straining credility.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Okay, looks like I'm watching Better Call Saul then. The weird thing is I thought BCS was a sequel to BB which is why I thought Saul and Mike would survive BB, but I found out it's a prequel close to the end of Season 5 of BB...

Have to finish Daredevil Season 2 first though.

This thread shows that even people with no taste can appreciate Breaking Bad. Your brother was in a win-win situation.

This random attack

cJLYltg.gif

I'd place GOT Season 5 on par with Breaking Bad's best Seasons (3 & 4) I'll have you know. It's not my fault the Stannis fans are such a gigantic mess.

Syder

This show was AMAZING. Like top 3 of all time level good (next to Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones).
It's just my opinion but Season 5 totally derailed Game of Thrones' status as a God tier show. Also, the direction future seasons seem to be going makes it feel like it's going to turn into a complete shitshow.

The Wire and The Sopranos are God tier. You should watch them next if you haven't already.

enigmatic_alex44

It's just my opinion but Season 5 totally derailed Game of Thrones' status as a God tier show. Also, the direction future seasons seem to be going makes it feel like it's going to turn into a complete shitshow.

You're not the only one with this opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Thought I'd inform you that BCS is arguably better than Breaking Bad.

EDIT: To be fair on the no taste comment, you DID diss Malcolm in the Middle, you're inevitably going to attract ire. :p

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I started Breaking Bad several years ago and ended up quitting halfway-through because of how draining it was. I didn't return to it until it was in its final season when I marathoned the rest of it. So I can relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom