• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whew, I’m emotionally DRAINED after marathoning Breaking Bad (open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing has dethroned Breaking Bad yet. I actually didn't like the first few episodes of it, but then it just keeps getting better and doesn't stop. S4 and S5 are the most suspenseful and emotional seasons of TV I have ever experienced.

Ozymandias is the only episode of TV that ever made me feel like my soul was crushed. I'm never emotionally ready to watch it again.

I mean, love the show all you want but it's a Fox comedy starring Frankie Muniz and his shrill banshee of a mom is one of the most grating characters I've come across on TV.

Awful.

AND Bryan Cranston.

Also, you mention Fox comedy, but one of the greatest sitcoms ever was Married... with Children (which similarly starred insufferable assholes).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I mean, love the show all you want but it's a Fox comedy starring Frankie Muniz and his shrill banshee of a mom is one of the most grating characters I've come across on TV.

Awful.

Oh no not a fox comedy.

MitM was one of the best sitcoms of the 2000s. Bryan Cranston's Hal elevated it to brilliant at times. You have a bad opinion and you're a bad person, I hope you feel bad.

What were your thoughts on huell sneaking the cigarettes into/out of (I dont remember) jesse's pockets at saul's minimall law store? Too implausible?

I'll just leave it at "I think you need to rewatch Malcolm in the Middle, you might have missed the component that made it a gem to a ton of people" and leave the derail at that.

Better Call Saul is my jam. You really should put it in your watch list.

Unfortunately I watched the first season on Netflix after hearing the new episodes were going up on Amazon. My dumb ass thought that meant Amazon Prime. Nope :(

Breaking bad is probably the best TV show of all time.

I have heard that opinion before, but for some reason, the show has never clicked with me.

For me, it's probably Game of Thrones or The Wire. I was much more interested in them for some reason. I guess it's just personal preference when it comes to shows of the calibre of these three though.

There's a Mike scene that happened on the last episode I watched that finally vindicated the show's existence outside of being a beautiful vanity project. I mean besides all the good jimmy stuff.

Nevermind, it was vindicated from the start. But there'there's a really good Mike scene.

gaugebozo

Awful.

post-28872-they-thought-Einstein-was-craz-5mNv.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
omg all these Malcolm in the Middle fans coming out of the woodwork O____o

I will agree blame space that Reese was a good character, and Francis had his moments. But the show is Big Bang Theory quality imo.

Breaking Bad was the shit. Not as good as The Sopranos but, pretty fucking good.

Now go watch Deadwood, OP. Third greatest show ever after Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Plus Ian McShane gives one of the few performances on par with Cranston's Walter White.

The Sopranos and The Wire say, no.

I will agree blame space that Reese was a good character, and Francis had his moments. But the show is Big Bang Theory quality imo.
Tell them. The show is trash.

I had a crush on Justin Berfield when I was younger. He looks like a FOX News panel commentator now.

Yo...

gauntlet.jpg

They're not even the same genre yo :v MitM is dysfunctional comedy like Married... with Children made for poor people about poor people, Big Bang Theory is meant to be about poor people laughing at losers.

Glad you enjoyed BB, OP! Superb show, well-written characters, great pacing. I thoroughly have to jump on all the Deadwoood recs, it's an incredible show. (Along with Mad Men, The Wire, etc.) Also, man, who else misses Oz?

GoT bums me out, as I can comfortably rec the first/kinda second season in the same league as the other shows, but it does start to descend after that. What I loved about the first season/books was that the characters were genuinely shades of grey, and that the plot choices weren't cliches. Season 3 onwards alters a lot of characters and plot points to make them more cliched + shock value, and brought some frustrating, narmy dialogue along with it. That being said, S1 did give us 'play with her arse', so... yeah.

TheXbox

First 30 hours of GOT are some of the best television ever aired. Even tho S2 was a bit flubby in a couple spots, it nailed where it counted. Treated the audience like adults. Then S4 broke my heart. The character assassination of Jaime Lannister (not literal assassination) is intolerable.

First 30 hours of GOT are some of the best television ever aired. Even tho S2 was a bit flubby in a couple spots, it nailed where it counted. Treated the audience like adults. Then S4 broke my heart. The character assassination of Jaime Lannister (not literal assassination) is intolerable.

You're worried about Jaime's character assassination?

Let's talk about Sansa.

Murkas

"Disses Malcolm in the Middle"
"Game of Thrones in top 3 shows of all time"

I wish I could spit at you through the internet :(

Why waste your time watching all these random TV shows when you can just watch one, the best one. The Wire. Watch The Wire and you have no need to watch any other TV shows.

The Wire is Bloodborne
Game of Thrones is Skyrim
Breaking Bad is The Witcher 3

Breaking Bad is amazing in that it's an incredible show critically, yet it still manages to please viewers who generally have... I don't know how else to say this, not great taste in shows. The wide appeal of BB is staggering.

Malcolm in the Middle was great.

TheXbox

You're worried about Jaime's character assassination?

Let's talk about Sansa.
Idk, I didn't watch S5. S4 was torturous enough, barring the first couple episodes and the 8th or 9th one, whichever was
the Battle at the Wall
. Everything else fucking crushed me, as someone who was a huge fan of the show. Jaime is just the tip of the shitberg.

Gotta admit I did laugh a bit when they dressed up Sansa with hair dye after she'd been walking around the Eyrie with her natural hair for several episodes. Who the fuck are you fooling, Littlefinger?

I started breaking bad again, just finished Cancer Man. Whew is right. I loved the BCS connection, recognized it right away.

Skyler is definitely played to the audience as an antagonist, if only because she is presented as a know-it-all who needs to tell Walt how to fix his cancer. I'm not even saying her actions speak to that, but that her lines and scenes are supposed to sway you that way.

I love how in S1 the possibility of Walt and Jesse cooking another batch became like a question mark; like it wasn't going to happen. God I love this damn show.

The dark horse antagonists of the show are definitely the Schwartzes. I really wish we could have gotten more about the ancient history between Walt and Gretchen, aside from that percentage of the human body flashback.

That's what really fuels his deep feelings of pride and bitterness and self-centeredness.

EDIT really though I'm especially thankful they were a big part of the conclusion of the show. If only for the Pete/badger reveal.

Lothar

Banned
You're not the only one with this opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Season 5 of GoT was just non-stop shitting on the audience at every turn. It has no heart anymore. Just shocking moments. Nothing enjoyable other than Hardhome. All positive or uplifting or hopeful moments from the books weren't important enough to include in Season 5.

I'm finding BCS so boring I'm thinking about quitting.

Breaking Bad was the perfect show. I wonder if anything again will come close to that.

Oh my god I forgot about the family meeting where they pass the pillow around and talk about walt's cancer. Set to jesse leaVing badger in the desert after cooking a subpar batch. GOAT

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Most gripping show since s1-2 of Lost

Could never watch it again, too draining, but a masterpiece

amnesiac

Just finished rewatching the whole series.

I'll be damned if To'hajiilee -> Ozymandias -> Granite State -> Felina isn't a legendary ending.

Malcolm in the Middle is Big Bang Show quality?

What is this?

Also Better Call Saul is great and I say that while I think Breaking Bad was not absolutely amazing and an entire show about Saul Goodman sounded grating to me. But it is not the same character.

enoki

Malcolm in the Middle awful? Game of Thrones top 3 of all time?

What universe have I stumbled into?

BouncyFrag

The events leading up to and after Jesse becoming a meth slave cook were fucking brutal. Walt, out of pure spite, telling Jesse that he just stood by and watched his girlfriend die, choking on her own vomit, was beyond despicable. Amazing show.

Is deadwood on amazon prime?

it is, and for me it's still a lot better in terms of overall quality of writing than anything else HBO has ever done outside of Band of Brothers and The Wire, despite what people say about it "not having an ending"

also, Hank had a copy on his shelf

DI1qJ6K.jpg

Wait, is that show good?

Yes, Every LTTP thread that pops up on GAF is people freaking out that it was so good and everyone else in the thread telling them "I told you do."

The only issue with the show is that it starts out playing it safe, and was very much a CBS procedural show early on. It always wanted to be more than that (the early episodes had some good moments), and about halfway through season 1 it fully becomes that and keeps going all the way up to where it is now. That is like 80 episodes of continually fascinating TV.

The show has everything. Great multi episode arcs, great multi season arcs, and great standalone episodes.The show has a fantastic underlying mythology that gets escalated with almost every episode. The storylines can go fantastical place, but it does so with logical progression. The characters are great, all are fleshed out, not just the main leads, and all have great chemistry together.

When I began watching I binged about 4 episodes at a time, and there was times I saw more plot advancement in those 4 episodes than most shows do it 4 whole season

I wholeheartedly recommend this show to everyone when I have the chance, and that is something I do with very few shows.

season 5 is insane. Marie just tried to
steal Holly
. god I forgot how quickly this all went down in the latter half of the season. I think this is my third time watching the thing all the way through, it holds up exceptionally well.

Thirty-four, 59, 20, 106, 36, 52.

y2dvd

This show is still GOAT. I'm gonna rewatch the entire thing soon with my gf who haven't seen it yet. If she doesn't like it...well there goes our relationship!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Malcolm in the Middle is Big Bang Show quality?

What is this?

Also Better Call Saul is great and I say that while I think Breaking Bad was not absolutely amazing and an entire show about Saul Goodman sounded grating to me. But it is not the same character.
no its definitely better than the big band theory.

The show was one of the best comedies ever made.

It also brought us Hayden Panettiere

hayden-panettiere-pearl-harbor_MITMVC_5_.jpg
No that was remember the titans.

The Chef

Yes, Every LTTP thread that pops up on GAF is people freaking out that it was so good and everyone else in the thread telling them "I told you do."

Yeah well every single LTTP thread of The Wire has everyone with hard-ons talking about "best show of all time". I bought into that hype and now I cant trust Gaf with anything related to TV anymore. I truly think its some kind of mob mentality because The Wire is dated and painfully boring. Its SO god damn boring is makes me ill.

Gaf defends it like "Oh its a slow burn". No, sorry. Its just slow and terrible cuz I gave it 3 seasons and those assholes are still tracing beeper numbers and payphones with spread-sheets and spying on people with binoculars. Cant even compare it to Breaking Bad where nearly every episode has you freaking out over something insane that has happened.

I think its actually time for a BB rewatch myself.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yeah well every single LTTP thread of The Wire has everyone with hard-ons talking about "best show of all time". I bought into that hype and now I cant trust Gaf with anything related to TV anymore. I truly think its some kind of mob mentality because The Wire is dated and painfully boring. Its SO god damn boring is makes me ill.

Gaf defends it like "Oh its a slow burn". No, sorry. Its just slow and terrible cuz I gave it 3 seasons and those assholes are still tracing beeper numbers and payphones with spread-sheets and spying on people with binoculars. Cant even compare it to Breaking Bad where nearly every episode has you freaking out over something insane that has happened.

I think its actually time for a BB rewatch myself.

LMAOOOO @ the bolded.

Thank you, I won't bother with The Wire then. GAF also tried to tell me Seasons 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica were terrible but it's my #1 show after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom