• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whew, I’m emotionally DRAINED after marathoning Breaking Bad (open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chef

LMAOOOO @ the bolded.

Thank you, I won't bother with The Wire then. GAF also tried to tell me Seasons 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica were terrible but it's my #1 show after all these years.

I wouldn't lead you astray bro. The time I just saved you from wasting on The Wire you could easily learn to play the violin or something. If you dont believe me at all watch 3 episodes of The Wire and I assure you that 3 seasons later...the same shit is going down.

stn

Good, now watch Better Call Saul! You'd be unwise to ignore it for the same reasons you almost ignored Breaking Bad. Just watch it!

The Chef

xfYvqDxQ91-QhvimDYCLJKpP09RgXLjHjwh1Lqo-Au_GpgNa8janARRFihqyXwDnSMPsyvEPDCZ2AOmUuDJzqbi-eo6TJXuHGC6TpTQrakJaaDCRf8VYvoE_TgU=w426-h237

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Nobody worth listening to is debating that The Wire and Sopranos and Breaking Bad and Mad Men are all top tier series of all time. Sometimes all the critics get these things right.

Ugh, I never planned on watching this show but I got Netflix in the fall and I promised my brother I'd watch it if I ever got Netflix (it's one of his faves). Well, it's March now and I finally fulfilled my promise (he threatened to stop watching Game of Thrones if I didn't, he was serious, he never finished Season 5 :/)

O....M.....F like what did I just watch??? This show was AMAZING. Like top 3 of all time level good (next to Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones). I was never interested in giving the show a shot cuz:
A. I'm not into drugs
B. It stars "Hal" from that horrid show Malcolm in the Middle

Wow was I wrong. Jesse Pinkman turned out to be my favorite character, loved him. Aaron Paul is fantastic. Equally fantastic is the show's lead, Walter While played expertly by Bryan Cranston. Lord, the way I slowly grew to hate Walt more and more over the course of the show and flat out rooted against him in the final season. I was always hoping he'd somehow redeem himself at some point, but the final straw for me was when it was revealed HE was the one who poisoned Jesse's girlfriend's kid :( OMG and when he killed Mike :( :( :(

Gus Fring, the "Chicken Man" was an amazing villain too. I only knew the actor from playing Regina's Mirror on the Wall from Once Upon a Time lmfao but he was really fascinating to watch on BB. His death was shocking, I gasped when he walked out of the bombed hospital room with half his face missing and dropped dead. Honestly, the Neo-Nazi gang and Lydia in Season 5 didn't compare to him at all.

I have to say, after watching the finale I read about the show online for a bit and was shocked to learn a huge portion of the fans hate Skyler White? They see her as some "shrew"? I wasn't a big fan of her in Season 1 and 2, but came around in Season 3. Anna Gunn is a phenomenal actress. One of the best scenes of the series was when she pulls a knife on Walt near the end, my heart was in my throat. When Walt grabs the baby and runs off in his truck, and Skyler is running after him down the street screaming and crying, I legit teared up
JZbssG3.gif

I was thinking about watching Better Call Saul, but he's a "good in small doses" character for me. I don't think I could handle a whole show based on that slippery snake.

I'm so sad that the show is over now, I would have liked to pace myself but I had to binge watch, it was just too good and I couldn't help myself

mo1ddqv.gif

Yeah, right but... Malcolm in the Middle WHAT!?!?

The Chef

Yeah, right but... Malcolm in the Middle WHAT!?!?

Speaking of which there was actually a Malcom in the Middle alternate ending to Breaking Bad that was pretty hilarious. Seems pretty difficult to find on YouTube unfortunately.
Edit: Turns out Sony pulled it from YouTube. I think its only on the DVD set.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I watched the whole series last week, and honestly, it should have in season 4.

The justification to get season 5 going is just plain stupid.

That the super cautious Gus Fring had back ups of his criminal activity in his laptop on his main office is just dumb, he knew the DEA was after him, so this is just impossible.

The same problem goes for Mike guys. Suddenly they were all captured (how? Gus magic computer?), and Mike was unwilling to take action?

There is also Walt's huge change from season 4 to 5,the only reason seems to be "nothing stops the Breaking Bad train".

And yes, Skylar season 1 was idiot, season 2 suddenly gave her a very convenient profession, season 3 was an insufferable bitch, season 4 and 5 was good.

Season 4 wrapped the show nicely, season 5 was completely unnecessary.

And Better Call Saul is awesome.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Am i out of touch no, its the children who are wrong.jpg.

The wire is great. If you dont think its good you have ADD or something.

Also by season 3 they realize the beepers aren't being used anymore, and i would say you weren't watching if you think they were still tracking them that way.

Paltheos

I have heard that opinion before, but for some reason, the show has never clicked with me.

So have I, and I don't get it either. It's a good show but best of all time? Not even close. Isn't it just a pretty good action show? The drama elements never really connected with me. Walter White is an asshole from episode 1 - He just becomes a progressively bigger one as the series goes along - And his reasons for doing all this are exactly the same from the very beginning. There's not much to do except gawk at how much more audacious he'll be next week, which is definitely entertaining in its own way but not compelling drama.

this_guy

I liked The Wire but didn't love it. I preferred The Shield. If you liked The Wire you'll like The Sopranos and vice versa. Those looking for some of those intense moments found in Breaking Bad will like The Shield. The Shield's final season and final episode are incredible.

bidguy

Banned
I liked The Wire but didn't love it. I preferred The Shield. If you liked The Wire you'll like The Sopranos and vice versa. Those looking for some of those intense moments found in Breaking Bad will like The Shield. The Shield's final season and final episode are incredible.

family meeting is probably my favorite episode

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think it is a stretch saying it is 'the best TV show of all time'. It's very good but there have been several very good shows. It's hard to single one out as best of all time.

Don't make the same mistake with Better Call Saul as you did with Breaking Bad. You need to start watching Better Call Saul. It is wonderful and the 'Saul' we are seeing in that show is nowhere near what he is in Breaking Bad, yet.

Undefined

I've seen The Shield, Sopranos, and ALF.

And I still wouldn't argue if someone said that Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever.

Breaking Bad just got better and better with each season which never happens with any show.

I will miss this show, there probably wont be another like it for a really long time.

I say you should give Better Call Saul a shot, but it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll like it. But it's not because of the character, it's just a slower burn.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah well every single LTTP thread of The Wire has everyone with hard-ons talking about "best show of all time". I bought into that hype and now I cant trust Gaf with anything related to TV anymore. I truly think its some kind of mob mentality because The Wire is dated and painfully boring. Its SO god damn boring is makes me ill.

Gaf defends it like "Oh its a slow burn". No, sorry. Its just slow and terrible cuz I gave it 3 seasons and those assholes are still tracing beeper numbers and payphones with spread-sheets and spying on people with binoculars. Cant even compare it to Breaking Bad where nearly every episode has you freaking out over something insane that has happened.

I think its actually time for a BB rewatch myself.

What other shows do you like? You might have similar taste to me. I'm struggling through Season 1 of the Wire. It's very boring. It's my second attempt at it. I quit watching Season 1 but everyone says it's so great I thought I should give it another chance. It's still boring. There are a few scenes I like. Not many. I feel the same about BCS. I hate slow shows. What else is slow that I should avoid?

Why have people turn their backs to Game of Thrones so suddenly? While I agree something felt very off in season 5, that doesn't make the previous seasons retroactively worse. Nor does it mean the next seasons will continue with a down whirl spiral.

Everything about Breaking Bad is amazing. Well, Q crashing a jet was unnecessarily over the top - but still it wqs nearly flawless. Also the Breaking Bas podcast is the best companion piece ever. I mean, they were basically making it up as they went. Just great.

Nobody worth listening to is debating that The Wire and Sopranos and Breaking Bad and Mad Men are all top tier series of all time. Sometimes all the critics get these things right.

Critics are wrong about Mad Men. It is a show without direction, beautiful rich characters fucking their lives up - self destructing for no reason.

Ahiru77

Vulture: march 2012

Slant Magazine: march 2008

Slate: september 2006

AVclub: november 2009

Salon: september 2007

EW: july 2013

The Telegraph: april 2009

Hitfix: december 2009

Guardian: july 2008

I really appreciate your hard work on finding these articles. You're a dedicated fan and that's what really counts at end of the day.

But these are all out-dated opinions. Breaking Bad currently has dethroned the Wire as the greatest drama series of all time.

The Television/Movie Industry

Over 3000 people on Reddit

The Internet Movie Database

The show has won over the Television Academy with 2 Best Drama Series Emmy's.

The series has been inducted in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

So......yeah.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ugh, I never planned on watching this show but I got Netflix in the fall and I promised my brother I'd watch it if I ever got Netflix (it's one of his faves). Well, it's March now and I finally fulfilled my promise (he threatened to stop watching Game of Thrones if I didn't, he was serious, he never finished Season 5 :/)

Your brother seems to have splendid taste in TV shows.

You should probably start listening to your brother more.

_Nemo

I just finished the series today. Man, what a ride. I just wish things went better between Jesse and Walt. It just crushes me how it never worked out between them.

maxcriden

More people seriously need to start watching Better Call Saul. It's every bit as awesome as BB was.

In some weird ways I'm enjoying it more. I don't think it's more gripping but the directing the last few eps (those montages...!) has been just incredible. Writing and acting are really great also. Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom