• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which did you like more? Hi-Fi Rush or High on Life?

Which did you like best?

• Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • High on Life

Votes: 33 27.5%

• Total voters
Xbox (and PC) have received two surprise hits out of nowhere that ended up being not only surprisingly higher rated than expected, but have gained a lot of gamers praise and have gained in mindshare significantly.

Both of these games have taken the gaming discussion by storm, which of the two did you like the best?

It's good to see smaller games see such big success, especially ones that gain large surprise followings.

Hi-Fi Rush, fun and gorgeous art style

Not a big fan of first person shooters although i found some amusing moments in High on Life

Last edited:

phant0m

A bit unfair since I haven’t finished Hi-Fi Rush but based on the first 2 hours, High on Life. Hi-Fi Rush is excellent though.

I just love Justin Roiland’s humor. All of it: R&M, Solar Opposites, Accounting+, Trevor Saves the Universe, and High on Life.

Shame he’s a twat.

Last edited:

Roberts

Whynotboth.gif

HoL made my inner asshole happy and HFR just made me plain happy. Obviously, HFR has a more sophisticated, challenging gameplay and it is simply a more polished game, but I loved both.

I like what I've played of High on Life, but I love what I've played so far on Hi-Fi Rush. IT is weird because it almost feels nostalgic even though it's so unique. Anyways, I find myself getting sucked into HiFi Rush and playing until way too late! Sign of a great game :messenger_beaming:

Lasha

Hi-fi rush no question. High on Life's humor and writing make a middling game into an engaging piece of entertainment. It sets a standard for where games could go if writing matures to the same level as other mediums.

Hi-fi rush is the best game that I have played in memory. The melange of genres intoxicates me like nothing else.

At first glass I read half life.... And got excited. And then seen that wasn't it. I choose neither. These art styles and characters don't look appealing at all.

Maverick074

Banned
Hmm, well, should I pick the game that's made by a wifebeater and pedophile, or the one that isn't made by a wifebeater and pedophile?

Man, that's a thinker.

Banned
Hi-Fi Rush. I haven't finished it yet (7h in) but it's just such an extremely polished game and the concept is fun as hell.

High on Life was fun, but janky as hell. super buggy and unpolished, and the combat was at best serviceable.

both games are in Gamepass, but Hi-Fi Rush would actually be a game I would buy if it wasn't, while High on Life would at best be a super discount purchase.

Last edited:

sainraja

I found High on Life to be boring. Liking Hi-Fi Rush so far....it is easy to pick up and play. Not really into the characters so far but maybe I will warm up to them soon. I just beat my first boss encounter but it wasn't clear when I was in the air if I was actually making any contact with the boss, but the hits were counted; definitely better than HOL.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I haven’t finished Hi-Fi Rush yet, but from what I’ve played thus far it gets my vote. It’s very well made in pretty much all aspects. HoL is a lot more experimental and unpolished, but very fun nonetheless.

Esppiral

This should answer your question
f5tA8QU.png

Hifi rush is in a totally different league than high on life I’m sorry. Without the humor high on life is a very subpar experience

nikos

They're completely different games, but if I had to choose one it would be High on Life and I say that as a musician.

Nydius

Hi-Fi Rush by a mile. Looking at my Xbox app stats, I have double the playtime on Hi-Fi Rush in a week than I have on High on Life since it released -- and I've beaten both games multiple times.

However, I have heavy bias in that I've been a sucker for these rhythm based games ever since Space Channel 5 on the Dreamcast.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have yet to try Hi-Fi, but High on Life was a very fun game. Maybe not the best gameplay-wise, specially at the beginning, but it was fun for sure.

mrmustard

Banned
While Hi-Fi Rush is the better game, i liked High on Life more, because i absolutely love the Rick & Morty humor. If you don't like the humor, it's just a generic shooter with low enemy variety.

Osthyvel

As a peasant i can't vote :messenger_weary: but i loved! High On Life, but based on my first hours in Hi-Fi i must say Hi-Fi, its such a fresh breeze and so fun to play, 2 games that is perfect examples on why GP is godsend.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Both feel like 6th gen games, with 8th gen graphics. Both could use a higher budget sequel.

I’m leaning Hi-fi Rush, for its stylistic animation and well executed style.

High on Life was pleasant, solid game. Surprisingly less annoying than expected.

anthony2690

Banned
Hi Fi Rush, all day every day.

High on life was really average gameplay wise, a 6/7 overall, I enjoyed myself with it.

The humour and world carried the game.

But watching my partner do her second playthrough she says she wishes she could skip the cutscenes/talking now haha.

I didn't have the desire to do a second run through, but enjoyed my initial playthrough.

Shut0wen

Im going with hi fi just because high on life is funny at times (the tutorial i found the funniest) gameplay wise its awful, like really really bad

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
High on life

Meh on both really but at least high on life has the comedy. Don’t really get hifi, it’s like a slow devil may cry type game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're pretty different. Hi-Fi RUSH is one of the most polished and fun action games I've ever played. High on Life is one of the most surprising, hilarious and unexpected games I've ever played. I honestly can't decide.

I think Hi-Fi RUSH is a better, more polished visual product with more in depth combat. High on Life felt like a cultural event in gaming for me. Everyone in that thread was just having a blast, talking about easter eggs and watching random movies. Both are literally some of my favorite games of the last several years. Might have to vote a tie.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who are those 24 users who voted against hi-fi rush? I demand to know!

😂
What's the issue? High on Life is one of the most fun I've had with a videogame in a long time. It's style of humor is a do or die, so I can understand people not liking it, but for those that do like it the game's a breath of fresh air.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What's the issue? High on Life is one of the most fun I've had with a videogame in a long time. It's style of humor is a do or die, so I can understand people not liking it, but for those that do like it the game's a breath of fresh air.
And not just the humor. The bosses are almost Nintendo level. Each one is great. The platforming is good. Even some light puzzles and well hidden chests. Plays like a casual Halo. Some people here are really downplaying High on Life.

TintoConCasera

And not just the humor. The bosses are almost Nintendo level. Each one is great. The platforming is good. Even some light puzzles and well hidden chests. Plays like a casual Halo. Some people here are really downplaying High on Life.
Absolutely! Bosses reminded me of Metroid Prime, which is a big compliment, and the non-linearity of some levels was also a big surprise.

The only downside I found in the game is that it locks a lot of mechanics behind upgrades, becoming one of those games that get better the more you play it. That's good for people with patience, but I bet many dropped the game because of those very simple shootouts at the start of the game.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Absolutely! Bosses reminded me of Metroid Prime, which is a big compliment, and the non-linearity of some levels was also a big surprise.

The only downside I found in the game is that it locks a lot of mechanics behind upgrades, becoming one of those games that get better the more you play it. That's good for people with patience, but I bet many dropped the game because of those very simple shootouts at the start of the game.
Yeah, the first few hours could have rolled out the upgrades a bit faster. And some limited enemy variety at times. That's my only complaint really. Game is one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
High on Life was more of a fun surprise after all the 6/10 type reviews. It's much closer to an 8/10 than a 6/10, was super charming, and was a breath of fresh air in the gaming sphere.

Hi-Fi Rush though? That's a legit 9+/10 game and is one of the best games of the generation so far. LOVE it.

acm2000

both are amazing, but i have absolutely zero rhythm and much prefer a story based FPS so very easy choice but both games fully deserve the praise they get.

Top Bottom