• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which iPhone 5(S) Case Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Been spending a lot of time deciding on what to get for my 5S and I can't come to a conclusion.

I don't want anything bulky. I have the Pixelskin HD for the 4S and it's great but the 5 version has some bad reviews.

What do you guys use?

Going naked isn't something I'm willing to do.

I think I saw one of my colleagues at work with that Belkin one.

I'm going to try out the Apple 5s case for the time being and see how it works.

Apath

I got the Incase "Pro Snap" case in clear/black. Looks pretty nice and was the most minimal thing I could find.
GQKRWjH.jpg

Got one of these (Element Solace case in deep metallic blue) the other day:
4166.jpg

I like it but it is not as blue as it is in the photos. In fact, it is black most of the time and only slightly blue if under certain lighting conditions.

Now if only my iPhone 5s would ship soon.

Dishwalla

Banned
Is that the same is this?

The look similar but have different names. I'm in the UK.

What about scratches and drops?

Resale value?

Don't drop your phone, easy, Had my old iPhone 4 for nearly three years and never broke the screen on it, and it only had a couple minor scratches.

Besides, the way the 5s is built the cases in this thread aren't really that effective as they don't protect the screen. They only cover the back and the sides, but there's not much to break there. Don't really see the point.

Apath

Don't drop your phone, easy, Had my old iPhone 4 for nearly three years and never broke the screen on it, and it only had a couple minor scratches.

Besides, the way the 5s is built the cases in this thread aren't really that effective as they don't protect the screen. They only cover the back and the sides, but there's not much to break there. Don't really see the point.
Prevents wear and tear on the device. There is more to damaging a phone than just the screen.

Vyer

Don't drop your phone, easy,Had my old iPhone 4 for nearly three years and never broke the screen on it, and it only had a couple minor scratches.

Accidents happen. Some people like to lower the possibility of those accidents causing damage.

CronoShot

Right now I use the Poetic Atmosphere, but I ordered one of the official 5s cases in black. It should be here tomorrow.

Too bad my 5s won't be here for like another week :(

I got the Incase "Pro Snap" case in clear/black. Looks pretty nice and was the most minimal thing I could find.
GQKRWjH.jpg

You think its fall proof? I can get really clumsy. Interested in this one because I ordered a gold phone. Gotta show that off!

Juice

I use the official yellow leather one.

Absolutely love it. It feels great and it has enough play to convince me it's providing about as much protection as I'd want.

After knocking the hell out of my black chamfered edges on my 5, I just need a case.

I used the Otterbox Commuter case for awhile and it's a great case. Very good protection while still being somewhat small.

I currently go sans case and I'm highly considering getting the "Book Book" (wallet case).

Book Book. Looks like a prayer book (as if), and acts as a card wallet.

I had one for my iPhone 4; missed carrying the bare iPhone a bit. First day I went to work with my 5S, I left my wallet at home. So. Back to a Book Book. I'm going to try and keep the 5S as long as possible, so will suffer the indignity of a case.

Red Comet

I'm using this along with a screen protector. With my iPad and my previous smartphone I've went the whole heavy duty Otterbox route, which is great for my iPad since I carry it around in my backpack sometimes, but kind of unnecessary for my phone. That's why I went the minimalist route this time and I'm pretty happy since you can see from my pic that it barely adds anything to the phone. I totally feel comfortable with it in my pocket and I think the device is pretty safe from scratches/cracks. I don't know how it would fare with drops, but I think it would be okay and I'm pretty careful, so I don't anticipate that being much of a problem.

Only negatives I've found so far are that dust/lint can get under the case, so I'll have to take it off periodically to clean it. Also, the case itself might get scuffed, but I haven't noticed anything like that yet.

Twio

Book Book. Looks like a prayer book (as if), and acts as a card wallet.

I had one for my iPhone 4; missed carrying the bare iPhone a bit. First day I went to work with my 5S, I left my wallet at home. So. Back to a Book Book. I'm going to try and keep the 5S as long as possible, so will suffer the indignity of a case.

As much as I dislike phone/wallet case combos that particular one seems to be pretty neat.

I'm tempted but If I hate the fact that I'll lose my wallet and my phone if I lose it. Essentially.

Apath

You think its fall proof? I can get really clumsy. Interested in this one because I ordered a gold phone. Gotta show that off!
Eh. It'll probably be fine but it doesn't cover the top and bottom edges too well. Google pictures of it to see what I mean.

It looks great but if you drop it a lot I'd consider something else.

Vyer

I'm using this along with a screen protector. With my iPad and my previous smartphone I've went the whole heavy duty Otterbox route, which is great for my iPad since I carry it around in my backpack sometimes, but kind of unnecessary for my phone. That's why I went the minimalist route this time and I'm pretty happy since you can see from my pic that it barely adds anything to the phone. I totally feel comfortable with it in my pocket and I think the device is pretty safe from scratches/cracks. I don't know how it would fare with drops, but I think it would be okay and I'm pretty careful, so I don't anticipate that being much of a problem.

Only negatives I've found so far are that dust/lint can get under the case, so I'll have to take it off periodically to clean it. Also, the case itself might get scuffed, but I haven't noticed anything like that yet.

I like the look of that. Are the edges/bumper really 'soft' or just a hard plastic? I currently use an Incipio Frequency and it's more of a 'soft shell' case and I like that. The cases that have the sharp plastic edges around the rim of the front of the phone are uncomfortable IMO.

paparazzo

Going caseless for the first time on my 5s and loving it.

I do have a screen protector, though.

FYI these have been completely unnecessary since the 4s (or 4?). Check out some videos on YouTube. iPhone screens are practically scratch-proof now. Watched a video where a guy lightly jabbed at the screen with knife multiple times and it still didn't scratch. Just keep it in a pocket separate from your keys and you're good.

yogloo

This case gets my seal of approval.

Red Comet

I like the look of that. Are the edges/bumper really 'soft' or just a hard plastic? I currently use an Incipio Frequency and it's more of a 'soft shell' case and I like that. The cases that have the sharp plastic edges around the rim of the front of the phone are uncomfortable IMO.

Yeah, the edges of the case are a softer plastic whle the back is hard plastic. I find it to be very comfortable to hold. Apple's design of this phone is very ergonomic and this case doesn't really take away from that at all.

Enco

Love this case.

Tech 21. You can get it at the Apple Store. I also have it for my iPad 3 and mini.

HA815

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA814ZM/A/tech21-impact-mesh-case-for-iphone-5
This looks interesting but also looks like it adds a ton of bulk. How does it feel?

[IMG ]http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab300/Commander-Gree/my5scase.jpg[/IMG]

I'm guessing this adds no drop protection right?

Thanks for the replies so far. Going naked is tempting but I don't think I would like it. I put my phone down in the kitchen and other places where I don't want to mess up the back and get it dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom