• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which iPhone 5(S) Case Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

Bookbook

bbiphone5_comp_headerlarge_5s_v2_2.jpg

Saves me a pocket.

Friggz

gi-202r-3.jpg

GIld Design. The case is a rock, and while its maybe on the slightly heavy side it has kept my phone essentially brand new for the 2 years ive had it.

GorillaJu

Love the official leather case

DSClTZPl.jpg

Same case and color I picked as well (but black phone). This is actually the first time I've bought a case - every other time until now has always been nude. I just really liked the colorways of the 5c but wanted the better phone.

It's good quality, though I worry about discoloration of the leather over time, as dyed leather, particularly calfskin and other softer varieties tends to lose its luster.

tsumineko

Same case and color I picked as well (but black phone). This is actually the first time I've bought a case - every other time until now has always been nude. I just really liked the colorways of the 5c but wanted the better phone.

It's good quality, though I worry about discoloration of the leather over time, as dyed leather, particularly calfskin and other softer varieties tends to lose its luster.

Yep, that blue looks great with both white and black!

SeanR1221

This looks interesting but also looks like it adds a ton of bulk. How does it feel?

I love it and I'm very picky when it comes to cases. I hate a lot of extra bulk, but I want something that will actually protect the phone if it drops. This was the best solution for me.

Have used so far, a Belkin View
372.jpg

Which didn't fit on the lightning dock I bought, so that was replaced with a

Belkin Sheer Matte case
372.jpg

Which has started to crack at corners and discolour. Local store had a heap of iPhone cases stupid cheap so I'm now using

MercuryAV Snap that I got for $5. Feels like nice plastic and has the lip around the screen to prevent scratches/shatters when dropped on the front.
black-iphone5-snap.png

jts

...hate me...
Getting an iDevice case/cover; an algorithm.

Does Apple make an official case or cover for that device?
Yes -> get that.
No -> get something else.

"Something else" for me usually means Incase. I freaking love Incase stuff. Top notch in quality, design and non-obtrusiveness.

But there's an Apple case now, so...

My only exception to this rule was with the iPhone 4 - but the bumper is not quite a case nor a cover.

Septimius

We buy fancy phones, so we can cover them up, so we don't scratch them. But then we can't see them, so why does it matter if there's a scratch, then?

I'm going naked with my iPhone 5. It fell from my pocket from the height of over a meter, and landed on a very hard floor. Nothing happened. It seems sturdy to me, and the scratches that come with the silly anodized aluminium can just come at me. I'm not covering it up so it doesn't get a scratch, because that means not seeing it, anyway.

Flek

Banned
nude is the correct answer i have yet to destroy a phone and ive always gone nude with my iPhones and even dropped all of them several times

Sye d'Burns

This looks interesting but also looks like it adds a ton of bulk. How does it feel?

My wife uses this very case. It's not bulky and very grippy. I like it and it would be my first choice for an always on case.

---

I use a Saddleback iPhone 5 case. To me, it's a better compromise between protection and the joy that comes from handling one's iPhone unprotected.

P0jHCss.jpg

jts

...hate me...
We buy fancy phones, so we can cover them up, so we don't scratch them. But then we can't see them, so why does it matter if there's a scratch, then?

I'm going naked with my iPhone 5. It fell from my pocket from the height of over a meter, and landed on a very hard floor. Nothing happened. It seems sturdy to me, and the scratches that come with the silly anodized aluminium can just come at me. I'm not covering it up so it doesn't get a scratch, because that means not seeing it, anyway.
I love naked, but I love to shake up the style every now and then. Like 2 out of every 5 weeks. It gets boring otherwise.

That's the seller on cases for me (except for the iPad, that one I really don't want to scratch the huge display when I throw it into my bag).

potam

Banned
I like to take the elegant beauty of my phone, and then cover it up completely, in order to protect its elegant beauty.

I have this for my iPhone 5.

8403215251_f8bf76c29f_z.jpg

8403214235_b5dff4e6c7_z.jpg

8404317514_38a425455d_z.jpg

The last picture is with the phone inside and few other cards with a drivers license and some cash I think.

I'm tempted but If I hate the fact that I'll lose my wallet and my phone if I lose it. Essentially.

Turn on Find My iPhone and show someone you trust how to access it from the web (don't need to give them your password). You lose it, get on the phone or nearest computer and find it.

I currently go sans case and I'm highly considering getting the "Book Book" (wallet case).

I have a Book Book for my 5 and love it. Very good quality. I had a cheap Chinese knock-off for the 4 and it was serviceable, but it's worth buying the real 12 South version.

Chucker

Space Grey 5S with the official black case. Looks good.

One problem! Amazon Basic's lightning cable doesn't fit in the phone with the case on. Returned it and got the apple cable instead.

Formosa

I use the Incipio Feather in black. Can't go wrong with minimalistic protection, plus it was $10 from Amazon. Comes in multiple colors as well.

http://todaysiphone.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_3426.jpg - looks like this.

+100 for incipio feather (ultra slim) it looks cleaner than all other ultra slim cases from other brands. The only issue I had was the skin was peeling. Did you experienced it with yours for the 5S?

edit: damn the $10.75 seller on Amazon doesn't carry white... :(

Bookbook

bbiphone5_comp_headerlarge_5s_v2_2.jpg

Saves me a pocket.

I love my BookBook.

But if you lose it, you lose your credit card and your money too. But it is one less thing to keep track off.

I am convinced the smartphones are cooking my balls, so I am trying not to keep it in my pocket. The problem is that if I put it in my bag, I feel more uncomfortable. It's more exposed to thiefs that way, and you pull out your phone/wallet all the time. hmmm

Red Comet

I'm guessing this adds no drop protection right?

Thanks for the replies so far. Going naked is tempting but I don't think I would like it. I put my phone down in the kitchen and other places where I don't want to mess up the back and get it dirty.

Well the description says it is shock-resistant so I guess it would be protected from drops somewhat, but I'm not going to try and put that to the test. haha

I've got the OtterBox Defender on my 5s. It is too new to risk putting it into anything else. Plus, I really like having a belt clip.

For those of you with the BookBook, is it easy to take the phone in and out? I like the idea of being able to "holster" the phone when I'm not using it, but I don't want to use it attached to the wallet. Also, does it affect the Bluetooth connection at all?

Enco

Well the description says it is shock-resistant so I guess it would be protected from drops somewhat, but I'm not going to try and put that to the test. haha
That's understandable :p

I looked through a couple shops today to see what there was.

I ended up getting the Speck Candyshell.

The Belkin Candy Sheer and Magpul would have been my preferences but they aren't in the uk. 99% of the cases that look good are US only. It sucks.

I tried the Tech 21 and it felt fine but the colours sucked (blue/pink) and it was a bit too wide for my tastes.

The official Apple 5S case felt good and looked very nice. However, getting it on and off was a big joke. I asked the woman showing me around to show me any techniques and it was a pretty long and painful process. Thought my phone would snap in half.

Thanks for all the replies. I just wish the UK had a selection remotely similar to that in the UK.

I just order this one as I was looking to get a leather wallet/case combo and the reviews for the Book Book said things less than stellar about the build quality of it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Those plastic/rubber type cases usually don't protect your phone when it matters most - when you drop it. They just smash right in the case.

Just saying if that's the main reason you want a case. Preventing scratches seems Linda pointless as you'll never enjoy the phone without the case so why care how it looks underneath?

Only leather or baggier cases will prevent a smashed screen.

Apath

I've used two cases:

Incase Snap - Very minimal case made of a nice soft-touch plastic that's grippy. Very low profile but also very durable. I've dropped my phone 3 times and nary a scratch.
That's good to hear. I have the pro snap case, and the top and bottom being exposed made me a bit worried about its ability to take a fall.

Cloudy

Banned
What's a good slim protective case that gives the phone some grip without being too rubbery?

Or maybe something like the official cases that won't set me back $40?

UK Customer that ordered his 5S direct from apple, so not got the phone yet (They haven't shipped any directly ordered iphones in the UK yet).

I just ordered a HardGraft Draw case. for when it arrives. I can use it with my 4S in the meantime...

fEC0xRgl.jpg

My case before this (which is available for the 5S size-wise) was the Ikonic Edge Super-Slim pouch.

xXsjEcTl.jpg

Tom_Cody

I had ordered these Beamhaus leather cases (I order both so I could decide on the color in person) through Griffon Technology but I was shocked at the poor build quality when they arrived. And so my hunt for a slim leather case resumes...

I love the Truffol Signature case but one review said that the aluminum case messes with the phone's reception. Apparently this is a common problem with metal cases. That certainly isn't acceptable.

As far as other options there is the Sena version of this style.

And I like the Case-Mate Carbon Fiber as well.

I'm not sure of where to go from here but I'm heavily leaning towards the Case-Mate one right now.

Does anybody have the Luvvitt FROST or CLEARVIEW case? I'm looking for a minimal case for my new 5S that's mostly/totally transparent. I used the iSkin Claro for my 4S but the 5S Claro is not the same design. These Luvvitt cases look similar to the old Claro for my 4S.

The only thing I'm afraid of us discoloration over time, especially because I live in Florida. The Claro turned yellow over time. I think this may be a problem with all clear cases though.

ido

I personally always go naked, but if I were to use a case I always said I would try this one:

EXO17Brass-angle-2-Custom-500x300.jpg

But going naked is probably still better looking to me. I guess I've been extremely lucky in that I have never broken any of my phones.

After a bunch of searching it seems like it will be impossible to find a totally clear case that doesn't turn yellow over time, especially in Florida's heat. It's just the nature of thermoplastics. Fucking plastics. So basically I have to either make my phone ugly or leave it naked and risk breaking it.

I'm getting that Luvvitt Frost case for now since it's only $10 but I'm hoping I will find something better down the line.

Enco

After doing some more research and spending some time with the case, I'll be returning the Candyshell tomorrow.

The back gloss seems like a scratch magnet and it's really uncomfortable to hold with the sharp edges.

I'm going to order the Ringke Slim or Ringke Fusion. Not sure which. I kinda want to experience more of the phone design now that I think about it.

Just need something that doesn't damage the phone.

dmr87

I don't want to ruin the feel of the hardware with some shitty plastic/bulky case so I just have an 'anti-scratch' film/plastic on the back of the phone. I know cases are good if you drop the phone but I don't tend to drop stuff. I've owned iPod touches and I'm on my 2nd iPhone, never dropped any of them.

Tow.jpg

Uow.jpg

jtb

Banned
I use an Incipio case, it's got a thin hard shell + a soft layer. Doesn't add too much volume to the phone, doesn't look hideous, so I don't mind. The 5 is so thin, I'm worried I'm going to snap it in half without a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom