• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is more fun - Resident Evil Remake or The Last of Us?

Which game is more fun to play?

• Resident Evil HD Remake

• The Last of Us

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eiknarf

Banned
I need to ask something, and I know some of you are going to get mad, but it’s not a diss. Remember, I’m only four months into owning a PS4 (and one week into owning Resident Evil 2)

The Question is for the people who like Resident Evil more than Last of Us:

What makes you like playing Resident Evil 2 more? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great game. But playing it now, it feels MORE like a puzzle-solving game than a “strategically kill zombies” game. Know what I mean? Finding “keys to this door”, or a “combination to that lock,” or a “jewel for this statue”...etc is more like a hunting game or crossword puzzle than a “pick the right weapon to take out this enemy” game.

Sometimes when I’m looking for stuff in resident evil 2, I feel like I’m helping my wife look for her keys. Again there’s nothing wrong with the game. It’s an innocent question. I play video games to escape reality. Or to do things that are thrilling that you wouldn’t do in real life (like stealth hunt plus kill the enemy with guns blazing)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The puzzle solving, exploring, and surviving from enemies is what makes the game great? There's more enjoyment to finding an item versus it just appearing at the end of the hallway or at the end of some linear level design.

Eiknarf Eiknarf Its a very well made game. I feel satisfied after finding a key or solving a puzzle. Not to mention actually exploring the place.

The Last of Us is great, but its still pretty straight forward. It doesn't exactly have a ton of difficulty to it. I find its kinda odd. I remember being a kid when I played RE1 and 2 on PS1. Then the Remakes came out over the years. I also owned TLoU on PS3 and PS4. I honestly can't say TLoU is anything like RE. IMO I experienced RE in its full glory, old and new. I also witnessed TLoU in its glory too. They were two very different games.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned

What makes you like playing Resident Evil 2 more? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great game. But playing it now, it feels MORE like a puzzle-solving game than a “strategically kill zombies” game. Know what I mean? Finding “keys to this door”, or a “combination to that lock,” or a “jewel for this statue”...etc is more like a hunting game or crossword puzzle than a “pick the right weapon to take out this enemy” game.

This is why I prefer the older RE games to the newer ones. The old ones had more backtracking and puzzle solving compared to the later ones which are more streamlined with minimal backtracking.

The older ones are a lot slower paced and you can really soak up the atmosphere. The soundtracks and fixed camera angles etc all go together perfectly, it's like you're playing through an 80's horror movie.

For example the scene where you meet Kendo in RE2. This scene is right at the beginning of the game, just after evading a group of zombies. It's a massive "shit got real" moment and gets your heart pumping.

In the remake this scene is gone and you're basically at the police station in less than a minute. They moved it to later in the game and made it super serious and cringy.

TLOU is in a completely different genre as far as I'm concerned. It's basically a stealth game with walking talking sections in between.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
This is why I prefer the older RE games to the newer ones. The old ones had more backtracking and puzzle solving compared to the later ones which are more streamlined with minimal backtracking.

The older ones are a lot slower paced and you can really soak up the atmosphere. The soundtracks and fixed camera angles etc all go together perfectly, it's like you're playing through an 80's horror movie.

For example the scene where you meet Kendo in RE2. This scene is right at the beginning of the game, just after evading a group of zombies. It's a massive "shit got real" moment and gets your heart pumping.

In the remake this scene is gone and you're basically at the police station in less than a minute. They moved it to later in the game and made it super serious and cringy.

TLOU is in a completely different genre as far as I'm concerned. It's basically a stealth game with walking talking sections in between.

Thanks

Yeah I’m loving the RE2 remake

That said, are all Resident Evil games in the third person?

Are any NOT puzzle oriented (less solving puzzles)?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Thanks

Yeah I’m loving the RE2 remake

That said, are all Resident Evil games in the third person?

Are any NOT puzzle oriented (less solving puzzles)?

Resident Evil 7 is first person.
And absolutely brilliant.
I felt the first person view added to the horror of playing the game....get some headphones and that house is hell.
When getting stalked by SPOILER my anxiety peaked and I had to play using my speakers.

Eiknarf

Banned
Resident Evil 7 is first person.
And absolutely brilliant.
I felt the first person view added to the horror of playing the game....get some headphones and that house is hell.
When getting stalked by SPOILER my anxiety peaked and I had to play using my speakers.

Whoa! For real?! So Resident Evil 7 “broke the mold” and is the only one that’s in First Person!?! I’m watching a video of it now on YouTube. It’s pretty wild looking. Why didn’t they do any others in the first person ? The screen imagery feels larger yet simultaneously I feel claustrophobic just watching these YouTube videos !! Any reason why 7 is the only one in the first person ?

Neff

What makes you like playing Resident Evil 2 more?

Resident Evil is pure agency and decision-making. You have to think about where to go, how to get there, what to take with you, and what to leave behind. Your brain is always operating several steps ahead. There are always surprises, especially regarding enemy HP. You never know how much ammo an enemy is going to take to kill. Certain enemies living or dying can change your safe routes through the game. It never gets old.

With TLoU, you basically take the game as it comes at you moment-to-moment, and it's delivered in a very linear, scripted fashion. Every playthrough is deliberately familiar, since the developer's priority is the story.

TLoU is very good, but RE is in another league entirely.

I never, ever see anybody talking about Revelations 2 ripping off The Last of Us.

Revelations 2 is clearly inspired by TLoU, as were countless games made between 2013 and today.

A lot of folks commented on the little nods and homages at the time of release, but at the end of the day I think Revelations 2 does its own thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom