• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which one is better Neogaf or Resetera ?

Neogaf vs Resetera ?

• Neogaf

Votes: 395 88.6%
  • Resetera

Votes: 51 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
left-leaning dumbfuckery is more publicly acceptable and less threatening than right-leaning dumbfuckery. Always has been, and it always will be.

Doesn't really matter, as ResetEra is overall less offensive to "people" in general because the posting rules dictate that it is.

So yeah, however you want to describe it, it's safer.

A mental illness is how one describes that fuckery in social engineering.

Romulus

My experience on Era has been decent in gaming discussions. Outside of that, the majority seem like the typical millennial enlightened gamer that knows everything. 20 somethings with YouTube for life experiences.

JordanN

Banned
left-leaning dumbfuckery is more publicly acceptable and less threatening than right-leaning dumbfuckery. Always has been, and it always will be.
Even when it's an admin who calls for the death of [white] babies?

zRQLe0J.png

Also, friendly reminder that "left-leaning fuckery" has actually killed more than right wing.

YIJ8lV4.png

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
ModernGAF is in the sweet spot between the absolute chaos of IGN’s vestibule and the puckered anus that is Resetera.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The only thing Reset has going for it is the old Gaf userbase - lots of active members/threads, frequent breaking news etc. They've done nothing under their own steam beyond get a rep for dumb moderation.

I mean the people who used to make/contribute to the gaming community threads by the way - not the 'everything is politics' crowd that are setting the tone/strangling conversation over there.

TheMan

ResetEra has better discussion around pretty much anything as long as it doesn't drift into anything political, mainly because the presence of official industry players is higher. But the moment it does, it's a complete shitshow. NeoGAF probably will never get that presence back because the level of freedom here makes it less suitable for frequent posting if you are trying to maintain a more public safe image.

GAF is alot more open and you're free to actually converse with people who disagree with you, which is excellent.

Funny thing i've noticed about GAF though is that the more passionate "anti-Liberal" rhetoric is a direct mirror to the crazy "anti-Conservative" shit you hear on ERA. Silly arguments and exaggerations and all. The same kind of thing i'd call out to the crazy Era posters when they got a little too loony in their accusations and viewpoints.

Difference is that GAF won't ban you for pointing it out lol.

It's little things, really. Neither is better than the other. At this point they're basically the exact same thing, just in a different flavor.

Yeah I think you and I basically feel the same way although you articulated yourself better.

Moogle11

Banned
Reddit > NeoGaf > ResetERA

Agreed. Reddit’s advantage is not being a single forum site but just a place for people to create specialized communities. That makes it easier to find active communities that are focused solely on discussing whatever hobby—or even something a specific as a single game—without all the politics and SJWs and their counterparts on the right injecting politics into every fucking thing. I don’t really like any of the broad gaming subreddits, but some of the game specific ones are nice.

In terms of Era and here, while I’m a pretty far left person that place is a cesspool as the crazy extreme left types dominate, even standard Democratic Party type views get dog piled and centrist views catch bans. Worse, far too many gaming side threads devolve into political pissing matches.

Here it seems to be more right leaning, but probably just because there seems to be a lot of very active and vocal conservative posters in political/social issues threads while a lot of leftists like me probably came here to get away from political arguments on gaming forums and just stay out of those topics. The gaming side is way better here with far fewer political threads.

The main downside there has been the console warring, fanboy nonsense on the gaming side is worse. But mods have been cracking down on that nonsense, and seeing that in the ban list was the final thing that got me to stop lurking and sign up after leaving Era. I’ll be glad when I hit member status and can use the ignore thread feature to hide all the next gen hardware threads And the few political/social issue threads on the gaming side.

Only other drawback is game OTs can be slow or nonexistent for things outside of popular AAA games. But that’s most of what I play and Reddit is better for niche things anyway. The popular game OTs here are better as the ones on Era are too busy to have real discussion, questions asked get missed as they get buried quickly and so on.

JordanN

Banned
Era has a no nonsense policy to trolling. You can be conservative as long as you don't just post drivebys and troll posts.
Name 10 Conservative Resetters who've had accounts since 2017.

Actually, I can do the work for you. Almost every user in this thread is banned. They were all trolls?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm...not sure this is a serious question. I mean, you just mention one of Era worst traits.

But let me ask you a question:

Have you ever felt like you can't post or say something out of fear? Fear of being banned and tagged as an offender?

Thats Resetera. You can't have a discussion there, most of their users don't post or comment about games out of fear. And when they post, they are usually banned for something they didn't do it (Like X girl? Banned for sexism, misoginy and boys club).

You could put any forum against Era, and Era would still be worse.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I also want to point out, any black user who identifies as Republican is permed on the spot. I wish I could remember the name, but I distinctly remember this one user who said she supported the second amendment and was removed from the site.

So yeah, they're not being banned for "trolling" but going against narratives.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Name 10 Conservative Resetters who've had accounts since 2017.

Actually, I can do the work for you. Almost every user in this thread is banned. They were all trolls?

Many of those posters there are not banned and i still see them regularly. I don't know why every one of those posters were banned, but many that i've seen were mostly drivebys in very sensitive topics. Also we have a large moderate userbase such as poligaf/Era.

Last edited:
I’m not voting. I think this topic is dumb. Why am I in it? Freedom bitch!

Many of those posters there are not banned and i still see them regularly. I don't know why every one of those posters were banned, but many that i've seen were mostly drivebys in very sensitive topics. Also we have a large moderate userbase such as poligaf/Era.
Is the topic sensitive or the posters in it?

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
That thread has a mix of non-conservative users who were there to instigate.

I wouldn't expect the guy with the Karl Marx avatar to be conservative unless it was a joke.
utFXY5c.jpg

Last edited:
I was permabanned for "Misogyny" for my detailed post about why I think that women are wired in a different way when it comes to goals in relationships.

And I have seen that kind of banning people for their opinions all the time.
So much that for a long time I almost didn't post anything at all there.

What a shit show.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

I got banned from reset so gaf is better. Oh and i was banned simply for my opinion. Apprently resetera isnt for opinions. The only debate going on there is for who can be the wokest.

Last edited:

Pejo

Literally the only thing I don't like about GAF currently is that the gaming discussion is really lacking still. OTs for even big new games barely make it into double digit pages anymore, and it doesn't feel like anyone ever wants to get together and play in multiplayer games. The only gaming threads that get lots of participation are shitpost threads and clickbait/drama stuff. Otherwise, GAF shits on RE from orbit, and I have never and would never have an account there.

DKehoe

I don't really visit Restera. Do they still not have a politics section? GAF having that has been really helpful in getting to avoid that stuff if I want to.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think it depends on the topic. For discussing special interest (non sexual) game stuff and for Nintendo games in particular, I think Resetera is better, for snark and banter, NeoGAF is better. For political discussions both have different issues.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Era is a no fun environment so I'll stick with GAF. I left Era after the first few months. When I came back to GAF it was barely moving at all, but still felt better so I stuck around. Things are moving much faster now.

belmarduk

I don't really visit Restera. Do they still not have a politics section? GAF having that has been really helpful in getting to avoid that stuff if I want to.

Unfortunately, you can't really avoid it on ResetEra. Even if you're in the gaming section, you'll be bombarded with people crying over things like having an attractive woman in a game.

Saber

Gold Member

It doesn't matter really. You have as much chances to be banned on the gaming section as in the politics. Hence why most of the users there remains quiet, fearing to be banned.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
GAF is the only answer here.

Your opinion is valued and you are allowed to express it without fear of reprisals, dogpiling or a ban as long as it is line with the majorities in the given theme of the thread.

So refreshing to be part of.

JordanN

Banned
They ban unicorns over there?
Sadly, it's going to take a while to find the posts since going through the thread of REEE, it's buried among hundreds of other crap.

But there's enough anecdotal evidence that suggests they absolutely look down or refuse to harbor them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sadly, it's going to take a while to find the posts since going through the thread of REEE, it's buried among hundreds of other crap.

But there's enough anecdotal evidence that suggests they absolutely look down or refuse to harbor them.

Says the master to the freeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom