• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PS1 JRPGs Hold Up/Still Must Play Today?

Begaria

Vagrant Story is a difficult one to recommend here - the art, music, narrative and presentation absolutely holds up today; but while the systems are deep and fleshed-out, they were kind of frustrating and obtuse when they came out, and are just as offputting to learn now. Still, if they're okay with looking at a guide for the weapon types, it's still a fantastic game. Possible frustration would come from a very different place than typical JRPGs - it's also a manageable sub-20-hours in length, which could help.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'll agree that Vagrant Story's mechanics are deep, fleshed out, and hard to grasp on a first pass, but I'll disagree that they wouldn't hold up to this day simply becaaaaaaaauuuuseee....

The Souls series. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, and hell even Bloodborne. These games are praised for their hardcore mechanics anddeep weapon systems/crafting, all of which are very reminiscent. When I first played Demon's Souls when it hit NA all those years ago, I immediately thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is the spiritual successor to Vagrant Story I've been waiting for." They've become a staple of last generation and this generation. If anyone is into the Souls series, they should check out Vagrant Story on the PS1.

Korigama

I adore The Legend of Dragoon just as much now as I did back when I first played it. Since you already have Xenogears and Chrono Cross, those are are also well worth the time (especially Xenogears). Would recommend a guide/FAQ to get the most out of CC, given the quirks regarding character recruitment and acquiring certain Techs.

I quite like Wild Arms 2, though its localization was probably the weakest overall of what I've played for myself from that era. I tried WA1 for myself after buying it during a flash sale from PSN, but it hasn't held my interest like WA2 did. As far as SRPGs go, I can co-sign on Front Mission 3. For action RPGs, Brave Fencer Musashi was great, but isn't on PSN outside of Japan at this point (feel free to give Threads of Fate a try, though).

Can't go wrong with FFVII, VIII, or IX either, though I admit that I would play IX more if not for its battle system (wonderful experience otherwise).
Anyone who says Legend of Legaia or Legend of Dragoon are trying to sell you something.

...maybe a copy of Legend of Legaia or Legend of Dragoon from their eBay store... >_____>
No need, LoD has been available on PSN for years (minus the EU store for some reason, even though it did come out on PS1 there back then). Only played a demo of Legaia for myself. Liked what I played, but wasn't compelled to track down a copy for myself.

EDIT: And yes, shame on me for neglecting to mention Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (and since the OP has a Vita, getting the PSP port of P2: Innocent Sin is also possible, and quite recommended since it's the first half of the story).

EDIT2: Also, if you can track them down, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete are also quite good.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Valkyrie Profile. Still incredibly fun to play, beautiful, with great combat and memorable music. And it's not too long, but encourages more than one playthrough.

Golnei

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'll agree that Vagrant Story's mechanics are deep, fleshed out, and hard to grasp on a first pass, but I'll disagree that they wouldn't hold up to this day simply becaaaaaaaauuuuseee....

The Souls series. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, and hell even Bloodborne. These games are praised for their hardcore mechanics anddeep weapon systems/crafting, all of which are very reminiscent. When I first played Demon's Souls when it hit NA all those years ago, I immediately thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is the spiritual successor to Vagrant Story I've been waiting for." They've become a staple of last generation and this generation. If anyone is into the Souls series, they should check out Vagrant Story on the PS1.

That's not quite what I'm saying - it's not that Vagrant Story's mechanics are outdated, they just might not fit with the OP's criteria of being intuitive and lacking potential frustration. The systems themselves are just as granular and menu-driven as they were in 2000; and the difficulty itself isn't a problem as long as people know what they're getting into.

Here is my question and a little bit of context.

I never had a PS1 and am playing a lot of the classics I missed for the first time on the Vita. It's been great to play games like Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night. Some of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had playing games.

I have almost a hundred PS1 Classics on my Vita and am working through them slowly. But RPGs are proving difficult because of the fact that I simply don't have the time to play RPGs that are just "good," nor do I have the patience to invest 50+ hours into a just "good" game.

I recently played Arc the Lad I and II and wished they were better. The translations were phenomenal, but the games themselves were not. They weren't bad at all, but they were just... okay. And the 70 hours I spent on these okay games is not something I want to do again.

There are a lot of good PS1 RPGs by virtue of there simply being so many. I have purchased and own almost all of them on PSN, but after Arc the Lad, I'm skeptical to play games like Legend of Dragoon or Threads of Fate because they're kind of culty. And while every Final Fantasy is somebody's favorite, it's not like VIII and IX are usually at the top of the list.

So, which PS1 RPGs are good, but not good enough for me to play in 2016 with 100 games to choose from? Which are truly the best?

Kijof_San

I never had a PS1 and am playing a lot of the classics I missed for the first time on the Vita. It's been great to play games like Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night. Some of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had playing games.

I have almost a hundred PS1 Classics on my Vita and am working through them slowly. But RPGs are proving difficult because of the fact that I simply don't have the time to play RPGs that are just "good," nor do I have the patience to invest 50+ hours into a just "good" game.

I recently played Arc the Lad I and II and wished they were better. The translations were phenomenal, but the games themselves were not. They weren't bad at all, but they were just... okay. And the 70 hours I spent on these okay games is not something I want to do again.

There are a lot of good PS1 RPGs by virtue of there simply being so many. I have purchased and own almost all of them on PSN, but after Arc the Lad, I'm skeptical to play games like Legend of Dragoon or Threads of Fate because they're kind of culty. And while every Final Fantasy is somebody's favorite, it's not like VIII and IX are usually at the top of the list.

So, which PS1 RPGs are good, but not good enough for me to play in 2016 with 100 games to choose from? Which are truly the best?

Storywise to me: Xenogears.

Carlisle

Squaresoft is your answer here. They all hold up remarkably well. Also anything that still used 2D sprites will look beautiful today: Suikoden 1 & 2, Saga Frontier 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Breath of Fire 3, Alundra, Tales of Destiny, etc.

To cool my pining for the FFIX Steam port, I started up the FFVIII Steam port. The game has left a particularly deep impression in the nostalgia sector of my brain and I hadn't played it since release. The port on Steam is pretty shameful, but after spending a few hours researching and installing mods, it now looks and plays like a dream. The game holds up fantastically today, awkward 3D graphics and all--I can't recommend it enough. It's also very accessible to series newcomers.

Sanctuary

Suikoden 1/2

This is not available on PSN but still fit the bill of games still good today--Valkyrie Profile

I like FFVIII a lot.

VII and IX are better on PC, iOS, and PS4.

Are you talking about the remaster, or emulation? If emulation, that kind of applies with most PS1 games. I wouldn't necessarily say that the PC remaster is better than emulation either, despite it having been improved in some areas.

Anyway, I'd say Vagrant Story and Xenogears have both held up particularly well too.

When I first played Demon's Souls when it hit NA all those years ago, I immediately thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is the spiritual successor to Vagrant Story I've been waiting for." They've become a staple of last generation and this generation. If anyone is into the Souls series, they should check out Vagrant Story on the PS1.

I get what you're saying, but they are way closer to the King's Field games than Vagrant Story.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Tearring Saga is great! Certainly well worth playing in 2016.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Storywise to me: Xenogears.
Agreed 100%

As for FF games, IX is absolutely one of the best if not THE best. The only problem is the long loading times and slooooow battles. I understand the PC/iOS version fixes this though, so play it there instead.

FF Tactics is also top tier. I prefer it on iOS but either version holds up great to this day.

entremet

Are you talking about the remaster, or emulation? If emulation, that kind of applies with most PS1 games. I wouldn't necessarily say that the PC remaster is better than emulation either, despite it having been improved in some areas.

The remaster.

Both 7 and 9 have great quality of life improvement--no encounter, infinite gil, double speed.

I don't really mess with emulation.

Saoshyant

Tearring Saga is great! Certainly well worth playing in 2016.

Ah, I remember this one. Bootleg Fire Emblem. There was a translation project but I don't think it was ever finished (about 75%?).

Oh, I didn't leave a recommendation of my own yet. Mine's Koudelka. It's sort of a SRPG + horror hybrid that served as the basis for the (better) Shadow Hearts games that came out on the PS2. It's short, so it doesn't take too much of your time even if it's not your thing.

Tigerfog

Grandia 1 is so good. It had a lot of heart and a very powerful sense of adventure and thrill of discovery like no other game.

Pretty much all of them have held up really well. The mechanics by that point were basically modern when it comes to turn-based and semi-active RPGs.

jimboton

Alundra : God tier Zelda-like.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: God tier METROIDVANIA.
King's Field 2 (US King's Field): First Person Metroid before Metroid Prime (also an RPG)

entremet

Are most of the PS1 JRPGs available on the Vita? Been thinking of getting one as a portal RPG machine for a while now...

For the most part. Some notables are missing for whatever reason--Valkyrie Profile and DQ7.

Although DQ7r is coming out on the 3DS soon anyway. It's also going to be a better version and a better localization.

Saoshyant

Are most of the PS1 JRPGs available on the Vita? Been thinking of getting one as a portal RPG machine for a while now...

A lot of them are, but similarly many are missing, especially some key Square Enix titles that have been mentioned here like Valkyrie Profile, Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate, DQ7, and a few more. Sony's Legend of Dragoon is also missing, same for Atlus' Thousand Arms.

The Vita is an awesome system, though, because it has a huge combined JRPG library between PS1, PSP, and the Vita's own titles. Do your research and you'll likely agree with me here.

Grandia - The best RPG on the PS1 IMO. It uses a mix of 3D & 2D graphics that holds up a lot better than the vast majority of games on the system, has fun characters, and an amazing battle system. Music is awesome as well (Iwadare).

Suikoden 2 - Great political intrigue plot. Almost entirely 2D so it still holds up well. Gameplay is a mix of traditional RPG & simple Strategy/RPG. Pacing is fast. Generally considered the best game in the series and one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

Final Fantasy 9 - The combat is slow but otherwise this is one of the best RPGs on the system and one of the best Final Fantasy games. Memorable characters, great music, and some of the best graphics on the PS1.

Final Fantasy Tactics - One of the best Strategy/RPGs of all time.

Xenogears - It hasn't aged the best (doesn't look as good as Grandia & the text speed can be slow at times), but it's an ambitious Square-Enix sci-fi epic with giant mecha. Can't find anything quite like it anywhere else.

IrishNinja

Suikoden 1/2

this is absolutely my vote - such great story, enjoyable characters/castle-building, and a unique take on the horrors of war...plus fantastic soundtracks. there's just not enough like it.

i adore xenogears, but i don't know how well it holds up.

Alundra is a Zelda-like. Are we finally allowed to call these RPGs? I've wanted to for a long time but I keep getting shot down.

P.S. I'm interested in hearing about more action RPGs for PSX if they're out there.

yeah, i think people just call them action-RPGs...and its not in the same vein, but have you played Brave Fencer Musashi?

Jellzy

Neo Member
I played this in 2001 and back then I already thought it hadn't aged well. Can't imagine that it would keep anyone interested nearly twenty years later, especially when all it had going for was the Pokemon aspect, which has since been better done elsewhere.

Perhaps... Maybe I let a little Nostalgia creep in after all.

How far back do you have to go for good RPGs to not be playable? I mean all the good PS1 and even SNES era games should still be totally playable today.

entremet

A lot of them are, but similarly many are missing, especially some key Square Enix titles that have been mentioned here like Valkyrie Profile, Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate, DQ7, and a few more. Sony's Legend of Dragoon is also missing, same for Atlus' Thousand Arms.

The Vita is an awesome system, though, because it has a huge combined JRPG library between PS1, PSP, and the Vita's own titles. Do your research and you'll likely agree with me here.

Brave Fencer isn't there?

Weird. I loved that game.

For the most part. Some notables are missing for whatever reason--Valkyrie Profile and DQ7.

Although DQ7r is coming out on the 3DS soon anyway. It's also going to be a better version and a better localization.

There are a few other really good ones missing from Vita/PSN. Star Ocean 2, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Phantasia (with the fan translation but still), Tales of Eternia off the top of my head.

MongKey

All the Final Fantasies.
Grandma
Suikoden

Actually tbh I think nearly all the commonly considered classic PS1 JRPGs hold up amazingly well.
Grandma? Or is it Grandia? :p

To OP, I played Suikoden the first time when it's released on PSN recently, personally enjoyed it and I agree with hamchan statement that they hold up well. Though I do have nostalgia for the series as I've played Suikoden 3-5 and have been meaning to play the first and second game. Since you already have them, give them a shot.

LPride

Banned
Star Ocean 2 isnt just a game that holds up well, I think it is my favorite entry in the genre during the entire PSX generation. Great little game, especially if you can look past the bad voice acting (and ESPECIALLY if you can get into the bad voice acting)

Most have been stated already but here is a good list to check-off if you are a big RPG fanatic.

Xenogears
Kings Field (semi-precursor to the Souls series)
Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean 2
Thousand Arms
Breath of Fire 3 & 4
Dragon Valor (more action/adventure than RPG but has some elements)
Chrono Cross
Alundra
Kartia (SRPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics (SRPG)
Suikoden I and II
Alundra
Front Mission 3 (Mech SRPG)
Lunar I & II
Beyond the Beyond
Legend of the Dragoon
Tales of Eternia

I really wish they would have localised Valkyrie Profile for EU through PS Classics... (and others like Parasite Eve 1 or Tales :/)

Mexen

I missed Valkyrie Profile on the PS1. Only played 2 and Covenant of the Plume. Glad to see it still holds up today. I hope I find a way to play it soon.

Most of the classics hold up quite well. I think ff8 might be the worst simply due to how slow the game feels. Suikoden series has aged really well in my eyes.

Suikoden 1 and 2. You'll get almost the exact opposite experience of Arc the Lad. The translations are weak, but everything else is brilliant. The first Suikoden is basically a warmup to 2, and it's pretty short so if you really don't like it you won't waste a ton of time. But 2 is a real classic, and the sprite work in the game has aged much better than pretty much any other PS1 rpg.

this is absolutely my vote - such great story, enjoyable characters/castle-building, and a unique take on the horrors of war...plus fantastic soundtracks. there's just not enough like it.

i adore xenogears, but i don't know how well it holds up.

And yeah Xenogears is still one of my favorites, but I don't think it has aged well. The shoddy translation, and very slow text could turn people off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ah, I remember this one. Bootleg Fire Emblem. There was a translation project but I don't think it was ever finished (about 75%?).

I've recently (from an old man's perspective, one or two years ago) played through it using the translation patch. It's actually quite complete, it's just that the credits can crash and that there is one particular part of dialog untranslated in one fight that leads to a guaranteed crash if you fight against a speciic enemy with low range combat. I prepared for that and made sure I had good mages with me and just maged that boss to death. Since the boss does not move it is quite easy to avoid that problem. Other than that it's really ace. It's missing the weapon triangle from later FEs, but has this nice structure of split routes and does not allow for grinding :).

Top Bottom