• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does BG3 still getting praise despite ACT 3 being a buggy, unfinished mess.

Tedditalk

Light spoilers below.

There been reports that ACT3 of BG3 is straight up not finished. Like bugs I can understand, but the game is straight up missing

1. Content that the director said was explorable (A lie)

2. Missing an epilouge (the claim of 17K endings is only four).

3. Various content that wrap up ingame quests and companion quests from ACT 1 and 2, which companions apparently still talk about, and are a large reason why there is a huge amount of bugs in the last act.

4. Various side content and even plot relevant consequences. This link below is a fascinating read. It got some spoilers tho.

Like all this talk of it being better than the Triple A industry only to find out the game fucked up worse than alot of Triple A releases. The best part was front loaded too, so people could only see the problem after they played like 80 hours. I will say It looks like it deserves it meta score, if it was finished, but man that a year out from now.

I recommend all console people just holding out for the complete experience a year down the road.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Light spoilers below.

There been reports that ACT3 of BG3 is straight up not finished. Like bugs I can understand, but the game is straight up missing

1. Content that the director said was explorable (A lie)

2. Missing an epilouge (the claim of 17K endings is only four).

3. Various content that wrap up ingame quests and companion quests from ACT 1 and 2, which companions apparently still talk about, and are a large reason why there is a huge amount of bugs in the last act.

4. Various side content and even plot relevant consequences. This link below is a fascinating read. It got some spoilers tho.

Like all this talk of it being better than the Triple A industry only to find out the game fucked up worse than alot of Triple A releases. The best part was front loaded too, so people could only see the problem after they played like 80 hours. I will say It looks like it deserves it meta score, if it was finished, but man that a year out from now.

I recommend all console people just holding out for the complete experience a year down the road.

1. Probably cut content, people are only picking this up because development was open, but Elden Ring had a shitload of cut content and no one bothers because the development wasnt open.

2. The epilogue was removed by Larian because it was unfinished, they might as well add it later.

3. That's being very likely being adressed via patches

4. There's a lot of unitentional consequence that are not working properly. The last update adressed some of these.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Because acts 1 and 2 are supposedly incredible, so people overlook act 3s issues.

Also people know they are patching it, and it's not like there are other DnD styled CRPGs that come close to BG3.

Because the game is damn good, but it's not just act 3 that is bugged sadly, my last 2 fights on act 2 were.. interesting too bug wise for example.

It's a mix of hype, many people discovering the CRPG genre, that the game was going to be PS exclusive this year, etc..

But yes it was funny to read that Larian showed how to land a well polished game on day 1, i can tell these people were just in for the console wars and had not touched the game themselves.

Anyways, the game's biggest problem at least on my opinion arent the bugs, how many endings there are, etc, it's the huge step down on the combat system they did from Divinity: OS 2, i really hope they fix it once they release the Enhanced Edition

This is a bummer to hear, but I'm still grabbing it at launch for ps5. Both Pathfinders were kinda wonky on console, and don't get me started on the load times for Pillars 2. A minute plus for tiny isometric maps? Really?

But I loved em all the same, as I expect will be the case here.

Griffon

Same reason DOS2 was praised even thought that game is still an unbalanced mess that requires heavy savescumming and a web guide to not end up stuck in unwinnable situations.

Even though those games stay in early access for centuries, their final versions still feel like untested jank.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ya just wait for a year. Game sucks right now because there are some bugs in Act 3. They never even tried their own game. Bunch of liars just like No Man’s Sky. Lazy devs. :pie_eyeroll:

Success

Just goes to show that lying developers to hype up their games is the norm after Cyberpunk 2077 got away.

17k endings was promised only 4 are avaialble.

I'm not quite done with Act III but I've only really noticed one bug which was a crash I fixed by switching back to DirectX for the battle.

Larian is the new 'darling' of the videogame community. This is CD Projekt Red hype all over again.
You mean studios with a long history of great customer support and love and respect for their work and source material?

CDPR absolutely earned all their hard earned trust and clout by the time Cyberpunk 2077 had launched. They crashed and burned all that hard work for a cash grab and it showed. Larian hasn't done that(at least not yet) and if anyone, and apparently OP isn't familiar, but this genre in particular is notorious for all the complaints lodged in the OP.

I adore this game, I'm not even done with ACT 2 and have over 100 hours in, I'm taking my time and really really loving it. I think it is AS good as the hype surrounding it. Doesn't mean I haven't or won't run into more bugs going forward, I absolutely expect to.. But this game will age like a fine wine and only get better with time. If what's on offer is annoying, there's so much great stuff to play, go play that and come back to an even better experience in the future.

Even that aside, keep lodging complaints, Larian has been awesome about taking feedback and making changes.

Last edited:

LRKD

Honestly insane, especially since some of it was already in the playable beta. Most people I know playing didn't really play or follow the beta so I doubt they're aware of any changes or cut content. They're also taking their sweet as time still in act 1.

Me:
I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

Also me:

Idc Dont Care GIF

Guilty_AI

Cause the entire rest of the game is amazing and its not lacking in content. Not the first time people overlook some issues because the game is just that good. Happened with Elden Ring, The Witcher 3, Deus Ex, GTA V, and so on, all very clearly have cut content towards the end.

Last edited:
Hasn't Larian's games always released in a bit of a shit-show state, then eventually get fixed? Eh, if it's that big a deal then wait for the patches, and likely a discount. There are a lot of games I held off on until they got unfucked, and I was better off for it with either a discount or a GamePass release.

Ginzeen

Banned
act 3 wasn't buggy for me at all. I loved act 3. I just didn't like their being no explorable upper city, no epilogues, and cut content with companions. The endings of BG3 are rushed. They got some work to do with act 3.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The game is overwhelming positive on Steam… a community of gamers ready to shit on anything. This game reviewing well isn’t some conspiracy bro.
See this:
Steam achievements confirm this hypothesis. Currently, 34.2% of players have completed Act I. Only 17.5% of players (myself included) have completed Act II.
The people spooging over it in Steam reviews haven’t got to the broken part yet.

It’s technically choppy, it’s a turn based game where outside of being an inconvenience the frame rate in act 3 doesn’t affect your enjoyment much. I’m playing on steam deck where it literally hits 11fps but I play d and d where I’m used to a dungeon master scrolling through pages, taking notes, rolling d20s etc, different game audiences have different tolerances for technical hiccups. The quality of BG3 story and turn based combat isn’t derailed much by its technical issues.

Interfectum

See this:

The people spooging over it in Steam reviews haven’t got to the broken part yet.
Check the time played on many of the reviews (200+). If people were really offended by act 3 we’d be seeing evidence of that.

Recently the negative reviews have actually gone down which pushed BG3 to overwhelmingly positive.

You can also filter to only see reviews over 100 hours, still positive.

Btw, there is no ‘broken part’

Last edited:

Housh

Act 3 is awesome and huge. I haven't experienced any bugs albeit I have a decent computer. I'm over 70 hours and loved every minute. Play the game yourself if you are remotely interested and don't believe the hype or the hate.

Madflavor

Plenty of reviewers finish BG3. It's just that Acts 1 and 2 are so damn good, and better than 99% of games, that they still had a fantastic time with the game despite Act 3. Also Act 3's issues are overblown. CohhCarnage put it best. Act 1 is a 100. Act 2 is a 90-95, and Act 3 is a 70-80. It's a drop in quality, and has performance issues. But some people are acting like it's the worse thing ever and drops the game from a 10/10 to a 6/10.

We're likely going to get a ton of post launch support that'll patch the bugs and performance, and restore cut content over time. I would've gladly waited another 6-12 months of a more complete experience, but they had their reasons to release it now, and I still had a blast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom