• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does BG3 still getting praise despite ACT 3 being a buggy, unfinished mess.

Tedditalk

Armored Core 6

So you have not played the game at all and doing a dumb gotcha thing. I will take you seriously though. It been on ice for 10 years, and is part of a genre that rarely get any games made for it, and armored core 6 in general is a pretty unique take on the mech genre relative to its peers, and even the past armored core games, while still being excellent.

On another note, I do not understand the obsession with insulting me because I did not like this product technical and production woes, or even saying I like tears of the kingdom (as if it is an insult) when I personally found that game boring and not worth my money. It just feels juvenile, especially when I know this forum is 30+ in age

Skifi28

This is VERBATIM, the cyberpunk defense force argument, just switch ACT3 for CDPR on consoles. I am glad you enjoyed the game, but this is just defending delivering undercooked unfinished products, which not something I am about.
I won't derail the thread with a huge post about why the cyberpunk situation was different, but I'll say that the bugs were the least of the game's problem. It was just disappointing in many ways and not what people were led to believe it would be. BG3 on the other hand has exceeded expectations for most of us and the bugs and few other issues alone don't seem to be enough to detract from the experience.

Guilty_AI

So you have not played the game at all and doing a dumb gotcha thing
I'm playing it as we speak

I will take you seriously though. It been on ice for 10 years,
Has been 20 since the last Baldurs Gate.

and is part of a genre that rarely get any games made for it,
Same for CRPGs. Still some smaller titles here and there, but same can be said about mech games.

and armored core 6 in general is a pretty unique take on the mech genre relative to its peers, and even the past armored core games, while still being excellent.
And a CRPG with full blown cinematics and immersive sim elements isn't an unique take on the genre?

On another note, I do not understand the obsession with insulting me because I did not like this product technical and production woes, or even saying I like tears of the kingdom (as if it is an insult) when I personally found that game boring and not worth my money. It just feels juvenile, especially when I know this forum is 30+ in age
You see this is the problem, you're criticizing something you clearly didn't play nor even properly researched about. You're basing all of your complaints on a post from Steam Forums of all places, the part of the internet known for its exceedingly positive takes on everything.

Last edited:

Tedditalk

You didn't even played the game mate. The people i know who got there all liked act3, described it as one of the biggest cities they ever saw in a rpg to the point of overwhelming them, not in size but in depth, some spending more time there than they spent on any other act. Its not an "unfinished mess", its at worst "not as good as the previous two acts".

The game straight up had game breaking bugs, memory leak issues, non working companions quests, karlach broken quests due to baldur city removal blocking other character romance endings, etc. I never said throughout any of my post the game was bad. I said it probably deserve its meta score, if it was finished, but just because a few of your mates enjoyed the experience (good for them) does not negate anything I said. I also do not need to play a game to confirm x bugs exist too, or confirm how much content been removed and if it breaking questlines.

They never said unique, they said variations. Also, your claim on OP saying the game only really has 4 endings is a straight up, easily verifiable LIE. You can easily go on youtube to confirm this.
I will go watch it on YouTube to see what you are saying here is true. I will redact it if it is.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I won't derail the thread with a huge post about why the cyberpunk situation was different, but I'll say that the bugs were the least of the game's problem. It was just disappointing in many ways and not what people were led to believe it would be. BG3 on the other hand has exceeded expectations for most of us and the bugs and few other issues alone don't seem to be enough to detract from the experience.
Yeah I agree 100% - bugs aren't an objectively bad thing for many, aka a bit of jank or bugs doesn't bother me in the slightest: as long as they don't stop me from progressing, and when the story/characters/combat and just pure fun is this good....... a bug has to be some L19 Killer Fire Wasp from Hell to make me fall off the love train. Some people, a little bug here and there may actually ruin there fun and make any game a 7/10....subjective is as subjective does when it comes to bug tolerance for sure.

StereoVsn

Patch 1 is already on the way to fix some bugs. Oatch 2 will be coming in fairly soon.

So far on Act 1 and 2 the game has been an absolute blast to play and that's why players are forgiving.

Witcher 3, Skyrim, Elden Ring all of them still have issues. Yet the games are good enough that folks cannot look past them.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The game straight up had game breaking bugs, memory leak issues, non working companions quests, karlach broken quests due to baldur city removal blocking other character romance endings, etc. I never said throughout any of my post the game was bad. I said it probably deserve its meta score, if it was finished, but just because a few of your mates enjoyed the experience (good for them) does not negate anything I said. I also do not need to play a game to confirm x bugs exist too, or confirm how much content been removed and if it breaking questlines.
These takes only shown you didn't play the game and decided to base your opinions solely on filtering by bad reviews. These complaints amount to 0.1% of the entire game.

Karlach has a cut ending someone dug up in the game files, out of all 7? THE HORROR, GAME IS A UNFINISHED MESS!!!!!111! HOW DARE PEOPLE LEAVE POSITIVE REVIEWS!!!

I will go watch it on YouTube to see what you are saying here is true. I will redact it if it is.
There's way more than that that needs redacting.

Last edited:

Tedditalk

I'm playing it as we speak
So you was full of it on that response and was being petty. Like the rest of this is just petty stuff.
Has been 20 since the last Baldurs Gate.
How this relate to Ac6?

Same for CRPGs. Still some smaller titles here and there, but same can be said about mech games.
Disco elysium
Wasteland 3 & 2
Larian previous works (divinity original sin 2)
Planes cape torment just got remade
Hell mortimsal has a whole channel covering these with some as recent a few months ago.

There is no mech equivalent. You do not even hear about them at all.

And a CRPG with full blown cinematics and immersive sim elements isn't an unique take on the genre?

Was I talking about baldur gate 3, or I made an ENTIRE OP how I hate broken unfinished games, going to wait a YEAR for it to get finished, and I picked AC6 for this year goty because it is finished and not a repeat of prior concepts like how totk was.

You see this is the problem, you're criticizing something you clearly didn't play nor even properly researched about. You're basing all of your complaints on a post from Steam Forums of all places, place known for its exceedingly positive takes on everything.
Man sourced everything he stated, and I followed the sources back, so it legit. If I brought the game, your response would have been "larian always done this. Should have did your research" because you are full on defense force because I dislike your favorite product.

Tedditalk

Karlach has a cut ending someone dug up in the game files, out of all 7? THE HORROR, GAME IS A UNFINISHED MESS!!!!!111! HOW DARE PEOPLE LEAVE POSITIVE REVIEWS!!!
Ignored how it was breaking other endings, which was my point, to strawman. Just going to stop responding because you seem Incapable of being an adult and instead want to fight over a video game.

Tedditalk

This synopsis here is fair. Expectations are key to consumer enjoyment.

Guilty_AI

So you was full of it on that response and was being petty. Like the rest of this is just petty stuff.
Nope, its a mech game like others i've tried before it.

Disco elysium
Wasteland 3 & 2
Larian previous works (divinity original sin 2)
Planes cape torment just got remade
Hell mortimsal has a whole channel covering these with some as recent a few months ago.

There is no mech equivalent. You do not even hear about them at all.

Man sourced everything he stated, and I followed the sources back, so it legit. If I brought the game, your response would have been "larian always done this. Should have did your research" because you are full on defense force because I dislike your favorite product.
Posting a link doesn't make things "legit".

Ignored how it was breaking other endings, which was my point, to strawman.
Its not breaking anything. Players found a "solution" for her problem that could make sense using in-game items. See this is why just posting links doesn't make anything "legit", people can make leaps of logic to twist anything into their image and others will link to that as "source", then go further away from what the source was even speaking about with further leaps of logic.

Just going to stop responding because you seem Incapable of being an adult and instead want to fight over a video game.
You're going to stop responding because you're realizing you shouldn't have made a critique of a game solely based on a negative Steam forum post.

Last edited:
Here's the thing:

I'm pushing this game to the limit with my 1070. Sure, there are glitches, hiccups, and I've had over 15 crashes.

Yet, after each crash, I eagerly dive right back in.

It's an outstanding game, surpassing any RPG from the past ten years. By the time the performance hiccups hit, you're too hooked to quit. That's the only real critique I'd give Larian.

Denton

Just saw 18fps in my RTSS overlay when turning the camera in the Act 3 BG city.

18fps.

On 5800X3D and 3080Ti that runs Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 both with RT at rock stable 60.

Larian should have taken few extra months and released this in November, fully optimizing Act 3. Because this is a god damn mess.

Mr Hyde

I'm waiting for a sweet physical deluxe edition with all sorts of goodies, so I don't mind waiting until it's patched up and ready to go.

SoSola

Banned
Cause the entire rest of the game is amazing and its not lacking in content. Not the first time people overlook some issues because the game is just that good. Happened with Elden Ring, The Witcher 3, Deus Ex, GTA V, and so on, all very clearly have cut content towards the end.
Those games all still had proper finished endings and final content though. The quality didn't decline mid way through.

Where the hell did you read that? So far people counted 15 'full endings' not counting variations for each, with possibly more still being left out.

From Larian themselves...

After Baldurs Gate 3 release, the praise its receiving, and the tears of the OP, i understand now the title of the last Zelda game.

How so? Zelda is as higher praised if not more so apart from contarians...

My friends are liking it more than the BotW DLC that came out earlier this year.

Lol case in point. BTW, crazy that BOTW DLC is better than Baldur's Gate 3, which in the end isn't innovative or new either. Just another modern CRPG like Pathfinder...Pillars of Eternity etc.

In the end, that other commenter is right. Larian is being treated like the new CD Projeckt Red, except their past games have been the same. They all start off good and then become more barebones and mediocre as you progress. Divine Divinity was the same, so was Divinity Original Sin and now Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm pretty sure it's just D&D simps proclaiming this to be the best game ever. I don't care about GOTY awards because they're meaningless and also one an outlet's opinion which shouldn't be taken as gospel truth but I can't wait until Zelda wins GOTY to upset all the BG3 simps. Some people conveniently forget Breath of the Wild beat Divinity Original Sin 2 for GOTY that year, despite the usual CRPG fans proclaiming Original Sin 2 is the best game and best RPG ever.

But hey if GOTY awards mean anything, I'm glad you all think Fallout 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition is better than The Witcher 3. Oh that's right. There is the other thing:

There's multiple publications so often in one year multiple games win GOTY....proving again that they are meaningless. Starfield will probably win a GOTY too this year. Oh and Hogwarts Legacy.

So how do you measure a game's success then? Player reviews? Sales? Well Tears of the Kingdom remains the highest selling game and it's only on one platform.

Guilty_AI

Those games all still had proper finished endings and final content though. The quality didn't decline mid way through.

From Larian themselves...

How so? Zelda is as higher praised if not more so apart from contarians...

Lol case in point. BTW, crazy that BOTW DLC is better than Baldur's Gate 3, which in the end isn't innovative or new either. Just another modern CRPG like Pathfinder...Pillars of Eternity etc.

In the end, that other commenter is right. Larian is being treated like the new CD Projeckt Red, except their past games have been the same. They all start off good and then become more barebones and mediocre as you progress. Divine Divinity was the same, so was Divinity Original Sin and now Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm pretty sure it's just D&D simps proclaiming this to be the best game ever. I don't care about GOTY awards because they're meaningless and also one an outlet's opinion which shouldn't be taken as gospel truth but I can't wait until Zelda wins GOTY to upset all the BG3 simps. Some people conveniently forget Breath of the Wild beat Divinity Original Sin 2 for GOTY that year, despite the usual CRPG fans proclaiming Original Sin 2 is the best game and best RPG ever.

But hey if GOTY awards mean anything, I'm glad you all think Fallout 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition is better than The Witcher 3. Oh that's right. There is the other thing:

There's multiple publications so often in one year multiple games win GOTY....proving again that they are meaningless. Starfield will probably win a GOTY too this year. Oh and Hogwarts Legacy.

So how do you measure a game's success then? Player reviews? Sales? Well Tears of the Kingdom remains the highest selling game and it's only on one platform.
Did you make an account just for this?

vkbest

CDPR absolutely earned all their hard earned trust and clout by the time Cyberpunk 2077 had launched. They crashed and burned all that hard work for a cash grab and it showed. Larian hasn't done that(at least not yet) and if anyone, and apparently OP isn't familiar, but this genre in particular is notorious for all the complaints lodged in the OP.
CDPR was one of the most trashy companies with Mac support years previous to the Cyberpunk. The first Witcher in Mac released with an ancient old wine version. The second one had stuttering problems in every Mac past, present and future, and they always blamed drivers, when the reason was obvious pretty bad port, they didn't fix bugs they fixed in other platforms.

Last edited:
CDPR was one of the most trashy companies with Mac support years previous to the Cyberpunk. The first Witcher in Mac released with an ancient old wine version. The second one had stuttering problems in every Mac past, present and future, and they always blamed drivers, when the reason was obvious pretty bad port, they didn't fix bugs they fixed in other platforms.
Ahhh.. So Mac support is your barometer for measuring a developer studio? That must put 96% of the industry on your hit list. They also made one of the worst PC ports ever in Saints Row. Doesn't mean they didn't hard earn their stellar reputation after The Witcher(aside from the notorious Mac crowd) They're support for the game, long after it's release, was amazing. Even more so when you consider the studio size at the time. And they built on that multiple times with Witcher 2 and 3.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Act 3? I lol at that because I am on Act 1 and it’s had all kinds of delays during magic spells, screens freeze for 7-8 seconds, NPC’s clip through objects, and the stupid gamer tag on console covers the turn order in combat. I’ll play it solo, but it’s those types of things you see people complain about a lot. It’s all wrapped in a high production product. I don’t think its performance is all that great. The only acceptable argument is Act 3 has bad performance. 🙄

If it was any other game people would be making power point presentations on why the game is overrated.

Last edited:

tmlDan

jfc, this is so hyperbolic, the performance isn't that bad and the story is not unfinished. I've played through it almost 3 times....

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Didn't some guy made an 1 hour essay on why the game is actually terrible? Every popular game is destined to have naysayers, no exceptions.
Original Sin, Pillars, and Tides must have gone by the way side. I don’t remember reading much. But BG3 is definitely a high quality work. I just have some major gripes that robs from the experience.

Catphish

I've been at BG3 for about 150 hours and I've encountered exactly 2 bugs, both of which were patched out within days of discovery. I've been in Act 3 for about 20 hours, and I've not seen any bugs at all.

It's one of the highest quality games I've ever played, top to bottom, and easily in my Top 3 all-time.

I set it down for a couple of days to play Starfield and, after about 20 hours, went right back to BG3.

Talk shit all you want, but this baby is GOTY.

I've been at BG3 for about 150 hours and I've encountered exactly 2 bugs, both of which were patched out within days of discovery. I've been in Act 3 for about 20 hours, and I've not seen any bugs at all.

It's one of the highest quality games I've ever played, top to bottom, and easily in my Top 3 all-time.

I set it down for a couple of days to play Starfield and, after about 20 hours, went right back to BG3.

Talk shit all you want, but this baby is GOTY.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Flyinmunky

Can only speak for my completed playthrough but only had 1 bug in ACT 3 and was easy to get around.
Incredible game and was happy with the ending I got, although I do wish it was longer with more time spent on each of main party.

My only disappointment was with choosing to use or not use tadpoles or there powers story wise. That should have impacted the ending choices or final battle.

Roni

Gold Member
Same reason DOS2 was praised even thought that game is still an unbalanced mess that requires heavy savescumming and a web guide to not end up stuck in unwinnable situations.
That's par for the course in any serious RPG, mate. No risk of losing means no glory in winning.

Last edited:

_Ex_

It's almost like video game "journalists" don't finish games before they praise the shit out of them. It's almost like developers put their greatest effort into the first third of their games as a result. It's almost like payola exists in the video games industry.

Top Bottom