• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SFV newcomer do you think will stand the test of time?

Neoxon

Rashid and Laura.

Ed will probably go to the pantheon of SF's bad character designs with Necro, Ingrid, etc.
The thing with Ed is that he's setting up way too much stuff for future SF games to cover for him to be dropped after SFV. Ed's been Capcom's long-term play since SSFIV.

So these...

...are worse than these?

That's not to say that the old designs were bad, but these in particular are natural progressions for their respective characters. Karin's redesign in particular was necessary, can't have her parading around in a school girl's outfit forever (*glares at Sakura*). You have an argument for Ibuki, Akuma, & Alex. And as sick as Urien's new default is, you can just as easily burn that suit off before the match starts. It honestly just seems like you hate anything related to SFV, hence Lulubop of your post just being blind hate.

Now don't get me wrong, there's quite a bit to hate on for SFV. And I do agree that not all of the redesigns hit their mark. But to say that all of the designs in SFV, new or reimagined for the old crew, is a broad generalization that's wrong in most cases.
Necessary as some of the redesigns might have been, I don't like a single one of them. Dhalsim and Bison look good, but that's because they've been left alone more than the other SF V versions of characters (looking at you in particular, Ken). I wouldn't call them redesigns. They're updated to fit the SF V art style, but that's basically it. The actual redesigns (again, like Ken) all look terrible imo.

It honestly just seems like you hate anything related to SFV, hence Lulubop of your post just being blind hate.

I do hate most things related to SF V, but there's nothing blind about that. It's just my opinion, based on my experience with the game. I bought it, played it extensively, and I'm a huge fighting game fan in general. And now I'm at the point where, yes, I could write a book on all the things I thoroughly dislike about it :)

Pompadour

The thing about personality is that there's two kinds, fun & annoying. While Rashid is the former, Rufus falls under the latter.

That said, even though Capcom took an L for Best Fat Character, they did get the W for Best Middle Eastern Character between them & Bamco.

Best Fat Character is Birdie so Capcom stays winning.

rashid because he got the theme. fang had a chance but he's too crazy. laura maybe.

the rest i'm not sure. ed is kinda zzz. gotta wait and see about abigail.

Neoxon

Best Fat Character is Birdie so Capcom stays winning.
I'll at least say that Birdie is an improvement. Then again, that's not saying much compared to Rufus. Bamco still has the W on that front.

Necessary as some of the redesigns might have been, I don't like a single one of them. Dhalsim and Bison look good, but that's because they've been left alone more than the other SF V versions of characters (looking at you in particular, Ken). I wouldn't call them redesigns. They're updated to fit the SF V art style, but that's basically it. The actual redesigns (again, like Ken) all look terrible imo.

I do hate most things related to SF V, but there's nothing blind about that. It's just my opinion, based on my experience with the game. I bought it, played it extensively, and I'm a huge fighting game fan in general. And now I'm at the point where, yes, I could write a book on all the things I thoroughly dislike about it :)
Wait, you actually think Karin's new design is worse? What's the problem with it?

As for Ken, banana hair aside, I feel like the design gets the most flack due to the face, which doesn't even look that bad in-game (just the shitty CSS pose). The outfit itself is pretty sick.

I'll at least say that Birdie is an improvement. Then again, that's not saying much compared to Rufus. Bamco still has the W on that front.

Wait, you actually think Karin's new design is worse? What's the problem with it.

As for Ken, banana hair aside, I feel like the design gets the most flack due to the face, which doesn't even look that bad in-game (just the shitty CSS pose). The outfit itself is pretty sick.

Heh heh. Well, I really appreciate you keeping it civil, but I think it's time to conclude we won't agree on this :D

Neoxon

Heh heh. Well, I really appreciate you keeping it civil, but I think it's time to conclude we won't agree on this :D
I'm legit curious, though. Aside from you, I've seen nothing but praise for Balrog & Karin's redesigns. I just want to figure out your side of the story to understand your logic.

I'm legit curious, though. Aside from you, I've seen nothing but praise for Balrog & Karin's redesigns. I just want to figure out your side of the story to understand your logic.

That's probably just your personal circle

Most of my friends really dislike (basically all of) the SF V designs

No accounting for taste :)

galvatron

Gameplay-wise I think Ed's simplified controls will stick around.

In terms of staying playable, I'd agree with Rashid for diversity and Laura just to get some of that DOA costume money.

I really like playing Abigail, but the only big body consistently represented is Zangief and I don't see that changing. A terrible/laughable story is pretty typical of grapplers not named Zangief or Alex and I take that to mean they're not likely to get stirt development in new game. I'm honestly surprised that Hugo didn't get even fewer appearances given the potato backstory nonsense.

Lulubop

Yeah...no. I'm not surprised you got called out earlier in the thread. It truly is a minority opinion.

Facts, you gonna tell me with a straight face that this ain't the best Balrog has ever looked? Or Karin looks worse than that school girl shit? That they didn't her justifying growing her up? Ya, just hating to hate.

Facts, you gonna tell me with a straight face that this ain't the best Balrog has ever looked? Or Karin looks worse than that school girl shit? That they didn't her justifying growing her up? Ya, just hating to hate.

low-quality trolling
Shrug

Didn't care much for the earlier Karin design but not a fan of her redesign. That one is a tossup I guess

Balrog looked way better before

Korigama

Shrug

Didn't care much for the earlier Karin design but not a fan of her redesign. That one is a tossup I guess

Balrog looked way better before
I could go either way on Karin, whom I've liked since A3 and can agree that her new look is a logical progression.

I've never liked Balrog, so I don't care what they do with him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's probably just your personal circle

Most of my friends really dislike (basically all of) the SF V designs

No accounting for taste :)

I'm sorry but that's hilarious that you are using "personal circle" when you cited the opinions that are actually from your "personal circle." See where I'm going with this? Let not be hypocrite there.

I'm sorry but that's hilarious that you are using "personal circle" when you cited the opinions that are actually from your "personal circle." See where I'm going with this? Let not be hypocrite there.
No, I literally have no idea what you're trying to say

If I had to guess, I'd say I think you misunderstood the point

No one's trying to win an argument here, just pointing out that subjective thing is subjective and being surrounded by supporting opinions doesn't mean anything. Obviously, that goes both ways

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No, I literally have no idea what you're trying to say

If I had to guess, I'd say I think you misunderstood the point

No one's trying to win an argument here, just pointing out that subjective thing is subjective and being surrounded by supporting opinions doesn't mean anything. Obviously, that goes both ways

I'm not even interested to win the agreement because it's just matter of preferences but I'm saying what you did with Neoxon is just hypocrite.

You told him that it's personal circle's opinions, then proceed to disagree with him by sharing the fact that your friends pretty much agreed with you there. Citing the opinions of your friends and your should considered as part of your personal circle, would you think?

Then you throw out, "no accounting for taste." That just seems a poor form argument to make your point straight.

I'm not even interested to win the agreement because it's just matter of preferences but I'm saying what you did with Neoxon is just hypocrite.

You told him that it's personal circle's opinions, then proceed to disagree with him by sharing the fact that your friends pretty much agreed with you there. Citing the opinions of your friends and your should considered as part of your personal circle, would you think?

Then you throw out, "no accounting for taste." That just seems a poor form argument to make your point straight.

Yeah, seems you completely missed the point at every turn.

No one was trying to win an argument, we were just talking.

Neoxon

Sorry about the bump, but in light of Menat's popularity & her ties to Ed's story arc, I could see her coming back in future entries alongside Rashid, Ed, & Kolin.
mpdqOso.png
I've already updated my original post to reflect this.

Top Bottom