• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Sony home console has the worst design?

Which Sony console has the worst design?

• Total voters

Banned
Im honestly surprised the ps4 pro isnt top.
  1. The sunken usb ports in the front meaning anything other than a standard usb size wont fit (eg brook converter
  2. The jet engine noise.
  3. The awkward power and eject buttons.
  4. The dumb rhombus design making it difficult to reach the wires and usb port at the back when horizontal.
  5. The cheap material.
  6. The vertical stand needing a screwdriver/coin to remove.
Quite honestly its the worst console i ever owned in terms of design.

the Pro is a monstrosity, very true. not only in terms of case design, the hardware is also absolutely terrible tbh. not only gigantic but also loud and underpowered.
AMD literally released a GPU as powerful as the one in the PS4 Pro 1 and a half years before the base PS4 launched... and it still was ginormous, loud and ugly. like Frankenstein's monster it was a cobbled together mess "let's copy paste the GPU in there twice so that we don't need to work out compatibility issues" was basically the issue here

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I like PS1 original, PSOne, PS2, PS2 slim, PS3, PS3 slim. I hate PS3 Super slim, looks plastic and cheap laser exposed. I like the PS4, PS4 slim, PS4 Pro. I like the PS5. Digital PS5 in symmetrical in the vertical standing position. I had it that way for 3 months and than I put it in horizontal position now. You are suppose to use the included stand either way you put it, so make sure to use it, I do. Still looks good horizontal.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I voted PS3 due to aesthetics. It's just slightly worse than PS5, although the white doesn't help.

The PS4 Pro is one of the best looking consoles ever made.

Yoboman

Controversial but I always thought PS2 was damn ugly. Those ridges looked ten years out of style and just collected dust like nothing else

I’m a big fan of the PS5 design personally but PSone is king

skit_data

Ah I didn't realize that the stand is unstable in horizontal orientation.
I really dont know why they didn’t make some small indentations or something on the sideplate that would make it snap on firmly. In vertical position and with the stand its way more stable though, more than any other PS-console I’ve owned.

I suspect they actually intended the console to be stood up vertically, the whole design looks better when in vertical position. The whole resemblence of a ”V” and so on.

Last edited:

Kilau

The PS5 is surely a horrid design aesthetically and it’s my second choice but I voted PS4 Pro.

Not only is the pro ugly but it’s also poorly designed, the PS5 is at least smart enough to be quiet and not draw attention to its bad looks whereas the pro is a dumb look and screaming at you about how hot they are (literally).

JimboJones

Controversial but I always thought PS2 was damn ugly. Those ridges looked ten years out of style and just collected dust like nothing else

I’m a big fan of the PS5 design personally but PSone is king
The phat model is pretty ugly , big blocky and I agree the ridges where horrible looking. I think most people overlook it's ugly aesthetic now just because it's iconic for it's time. I thought the PS2 Slim was a big step up though.

White-fire

The PS5 has the worse design imaginable, I don't understand why Sony decided to make such a design and a tall console. Maybe that is why they are having supply issues because of the size of the system.

But they outsold the PS4 so far and are supposedly doubling Xbox’s production? Which were manufactured in a pandemic and horrible chip shortage. They make as many PS5’s as they have chips.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 Super Slim. I hate it. The sliding top tray, the front and back panel. Cheap looking. I hate physically putting the disc on there, the laser exposed. The power is wiggly in the back. The PS3 slim is way better with slot loading suck in and spit out.
7A96F58D4FE7BC086E86262C75AC93EDAB7DC9AD

I'm guessing you went back to playing the PS3 recently due to the store almost closing?

chasimus

Why is your PSX picture a cardboard box in the shape of a PlayStation? Oh and PS3 Super Slim is easily the ugliest of all of them. The cheap gloss plastic, slider door that always sounded broken. No thanks!

Sejan

It’s either the disk drive PS5 or the original PS3. Both are hideous. I voted PS5 as its even bigger and uglier in person. I seriously want to mod it into a plain, black box. Unfortunately, I lack the necessary skill set.

dcx4610

PS3 for me. I liked the system but hated the design and Spider-man font. It just looked like a Foreman grill.

I'm not a huge fan of the PS5 either but I have it sitting next to my entertainment system like a PC tower so I've gotten used to it. At least it's somewhat unique looking.

qiqiqiiq

I really dislike the asymmetrical design of the regular PS5, that's why I bought the digital one, and I solved the glossy plastic issue by buying a carbon fiber skin for the middle, now it looks really good.

MonarchJT

Banned
def the ps5 ..is essentially an horrible console. I get why is so big but its a big no under every aspect of the industrial design.....the ps2 was their best one

I have a PS4 Pro, PS3 slim, PS2 slim, and PS one currently. I have chosen, after the fact, the version of each PlayStation console which I think looks best. I can be certain that the PS5 will not be the version I end up keeping for my collection, as it is not only the ugliest PlayStation ever built, but is one of the most bulky and ugly consoles ever. In comparison the original fat PS3 looks like a masterpiece.

MistBreeze

for me the worst is ps3 super slim

the best is ps2 original

then ps3 slim

then ps5

ps5 is unique design sure it is very big though but it is far from worst looking console

Trimesh

Banned
for me the worst is ps3 super slim

the best is ps2 original

then ps3 slim

then ps5

ps5 is unique design sure it is very big though but it is far from worst looking console

That comes down to personal aesthetics, though - I took an instant dislike to the PS5 as soon as I saw it, and it has not grown on me with time. Yes, the PS3 super slim is pretty crap too - but it's just a cheap looking and bland design. The PS5 is (IMO) actively offensive in every way.

Derktron

Banned
That’s true, the issue with supply is not silicon, but plastic.
Do I care? I said what I said. It's too damn big and ugly and that is why they are having issues. Why the fuck do you think Sony is thinking of making a new PS5. I guarantee you that if they do, it would be shorter and that is what they'll probably cut off to meet the demands. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

PS5 cus of the size and disc drive placement. The digital version is alright looking (but still big).

Ps3 super slim II was ugly but at least it was fairly small and need a special stand.

Gp1

The super slim PS3. Besides being ugly, it looks like one of those cheap knockoff retro consoles.

For the second place, the PS5 disc version. It almost screams the design team saying "ok, we got the digital version right, now we have to fit this bulky disc drive somewhere... Fuck it, glue it over there and call it a day!"
But at least it doesn't fell cheaply constructed.

Last edited:

sainraja

I think the most iconic design for PlayStation was really the first one. The color choice, the shape of it etc. I am not sure if I have a favorite but I remember really liking the design of the PS3 (launch design, and the slim that was released later was good as well; not super slim, that thing is UGLY.) The design of the PS5 is very interesting and looks the best when standing vertically - it just fails if you lay it down horizontally which I kinda have to do.

Same ol G

PS5 by a fair amount.
The PS1 is iconic and even if it's old now it's not ugly it has that old school console look.
PsONE is also good looking i just choose the original as number one cause that's where it all started.
After that PS2 slim, that console was slick coming from the launch model.
Everything after that went downhill with the PS5 as an absolute monstrosity.
I thought they learned after PS3 and the oddly shaped PS4, guess i was wrong.

Bigfroth

PS5 and original PS3 are horrible in my opinion both are just huge bloated pieces of plastic. Launch PS4 and original PS2, PS1 are my favorites. OG PS2 is my 1#

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5 is fucking horrific.....

...Still like the thing but fuck me. I actually had a family member around for my sons bday and as they walked through the house to the back garden they said "what the fuck is that next to your TV....which I replied, thats the new PS5...They said...I thought it was some model of a plane wing or something and you had turned weird!...

...I've always been weird you effing chode!

PS5. I mean, the rest of the PS consoles seem just fine to my eyes. Then you come to that white monstrousity. It’s horridness being the 2nd biggest reason I currently don’t have one, the first being I probably couldn’t find one. I was pretty excited to own my first PlayStation console and then I saw it, and it’s crazy dimensions. There was this picture of a dude holding one in a factory and I thought there’s no WAY that is a real pic. I believe it was proved to be legit.

WTF was Sony thinking.

Last edited:

NickFire

PS3 all day long. Almost everyone on the internet back them compared it to a George Forman Grill. Yes the PS5 is huge and weird shaped. But we are more informed consumers that understand heat and noise better after 360 and PS4, so its easier to understand the shape.

Top Bottom