• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Sony home console has the worst design?

Which Sony console has the worst design?

• Total voters

JLB

Banned
Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The ps3 fat was fugly but dude that ps5 hahaahhaha.

i am putting that design disaster in my media cabinet the second it arrives.

That third gen ps3 was also pretty ugly 😬

Two different-sized rectangle shapes smashed into each other off-center, covered in weird fin shapes jutting out all over the place, with clashing buttons and logos everywhere. Thing's got a face only nostalgia could love.
You’re wrong. It’s so great and iconic, Microsoft had to copy it.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F08%2Fxbox-one-x.jpg

Jeeves

You’re wrong. It’s so great and iconic, Microsoft had to copy it.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F08%2Fxbox-one-x.jpg
Okay? Do you think I'm console warring or something? I'm not even enough of a microsoft fan to know what specific console I'm looking at. To comment on this one though, the double rectangles still look like some ugly modern art to me, but at least this has a cleaner look overall.

I'm still waiting to hear a reason why PS2 isn't ugly that doesn't boil down to "well I was really hyped about it when I was a kid and that positive association stuck with me ever since."

ReBurn

Gold Member
There's no way that the second PS3 slim with the sliding door isn't the right answer. The PS5 is a monstrosity, but at least you can see the effort that went into the design.

aclar00

Because you guys may not have been born when the PSX was being shown in magazines as the PSX, and that prototype name was also all over the dev kits. It was also the code for sales trackers in multiple countries when sales reports came out, They would list out JAG, SAT, 3DO, PSX.

lol definitely born a decade prior to PS1. Ahhh the memories of getting EGM and EGM2, and gamepro every now and again. Though i was a kid when it came out, i dont recall hearing it has PSX and PSOne came out. My only assumption was that it was to differentiate the original. I will say, didnt follow sales reports or internal KB or EB games acronyms for the systems. Always been PS1 to me and i refuse to refer to it as PSX ;-P, especially considering there is a PSX.

Forsythia

Almost none of these are particularly attractive. The PS1 looks like a toy, the PS2 looks like a dvd-player and the PS3 looks like a grill. The PS5 with the disc drive is obviously the ugliest. It's huge, those flaps look dumb and in general it just look cheap.

They nailed it with the PS4/PS4 Pro imho, those are some good looking machines. WTF happened.

Almost none of these are particularly attractive. The PS1 looks like a toy, the PS2 looks like a dvd-player and the PS3 looks like a grill. The PS5 with the disc drive is obviously the ugliest. It's huge, those flaps look dumb and in general it just look cheap.
I think all the consoles from the PS1 generation looked like toys anyway. They were very light though.

They nailed it with the PS4/PS4 Pro imho, those are some good looking machines. WTF happened.
PS4 is good. Pro - too many layers for my taste.
I hope that the next revision of PS5 will be slimmer then it will be worth considering.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
While shares it's design that pack of PSX pins I'd not a Playstation

Puskas

I genuinely forgot that the PS3 Super Slim existed. Truly hideous, even more so than the PS5 in its current color scheme.

Trimesh

Banned
The ps3 super slim is shitty very cheap looking, but the ps4 was also just boring.

Although I agree the superslim PS3 looks like crap, I think it has to be given a bit of a pass simply because it's a 2nd generation cost down design - the PS5 (especially the version with the drive - the digital only one is less offensive, but still awful) - I honestly dread to think what the cost down versions are going to look like.

Or we could get lucky and end up with a product like the PS3 slim - which IMO looks much better than the launch one.

-hadouken

PS2 was my fav PS console of all time but also the ugliest. Looks like it’s made of lego.

Dishonourable mention goes to the PS4 Pro for being a triple stack of cheap plastic that like the PS4 (by its very angled design) obscures visibility of the rear ports.

PS3 SS is cheaply built, but it’s actually quite beautiful.

PS2 was my fav PS console of all time but also the ugliest. Looks like it’s made of lego.

Dishonourable mention goes to the PS4 Pro for being a triple stack of cheap plastic that like the PS4 (by its very angled design) obscures visibility of the rear ports.

PS3 SS is cheaply built, but it’s actually quite beautiful.

Totally on the same wavelength as you on these. The hate for the PS3 SS is a little surprising to me since I have one. I think it actually looks much better in person, but I agree the sliding door feels pretty cheap. Aesthetically it isn't bad, but if we mean design in terms of function as well, then that's more understandable.

I think nostalgia is definitely clouding people's judgement of the PS2. It's always been incredibly ugly to me, even in its heyday.

Roufianos

PS5 is the only right answer. Only saving grace is that it has a decent side profile.

I never buy revisions but I'll be getting one day one for PS5. Thing is fucking hideous.

Calverz

Im honestly surprised the ps4 pro isnt top.
  1. The sunken usb ports in the front meaning anything other than a standard usb size wont fit (eg brook converter
  2. The jet engine noise.
  3. The awkward power and eject buttons.
  4. The dumb rhombus design making it difficult to reach the wires and usb port at the back when horizontal.
  5. The cheap material.
  6. The vertical stand needing a screwdriver/coin to remove.
Quite honestly its the worst console i ever owned in terms of design.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
PS3 super slim. I hate the plastic front and back panels on the top, they are weak and flimsy as heck. You can press them down easily and I hate that cheap feel. I also hate the sliding tray cover. It's just the cheapest plastic crap I have ever seen and held. I bought a brand new PS3 super slim back in 2013 as my PS3 fat console died. But overall I can't stand it and I use a used PS3 slim I bought at gamestop.

lol definitely born a decade prior to PS1. Ahhh the memories of getting EGM and EGM2, and gamepro every now and again. Though i was a kid when it came out, i dont recall hearing it has PSX and PSOne came out. My only assumption was that it was to differentiate the original. I will say, didnt follow sales reports or internal KB or EB games acronyms for the systems. Always been PS1 to me and i refuse to refer to it as PSX ;-P, especially considering there is a PSX.

Psone wasn't the PSX, it was a redesign called the Psone.

The PlayStation 5 has the worst Console design I've ever seen, such a huge ugly Console. I'm really happy that I'm more of a Nintendo and Microsoft guy, so that I don't have to buy this huge ugly Abomination :D

Unknown?

I've hated the PS3 slim since leaked photos of it started coming out. It looks so bland and ugly compared to the OG. Super Slim has a better profile but the ribbed top ruins it for being beautiful, still better overall imo.

None of them are bad though.

SkylineRKR

PS4 probably.

PSX was nothing special, and had drive issues but I had no issues with the cables. Thing wasn't huge either.

PS4 would auto reboot because of the piece of plastic underneath the power button. I removed that. USB ports are too deep, power socket is very loose. Move it a slight bit and it unplugs. The buttons suck ass. The sound it makes is something too. The Pro is probably even worse.

OG PS2 and PsOne are probably the best console designs Sony came up with, imo.

Last edited:
This is just an ugly contest? Because the og ps2 and og ps3 were both highly prone to failure. Making them neck and neck for the worst designed.

Last edited:
PS4 probably.

PSX was nothing special, and had drive issues but I had no issues with the cables. Thing wasn't huge either.

PS4 would auto reboot because of the piece of plastic underneath the power button. I removed that. USB ports are too deep, power socket is very loose. Move it a slight bit and it unplugs. The buttons suck ass. The sound it makes is something too. The Pro is probably even worse.

OG PS2 and PsOne are probably the best console designs Sony came up with, imo.
Disc Read Error

If you think PS5 has the worst design you're someone buying an Xbox lol

Or you could just be somebody who doesn't like ugly things? PS consoles before PS5 ranged from great looking to maybe average looking at worst, but they were never bad. Until now.

Again, this is just looks, but PS5 looks like a Chinese knockoff console or overgrown wifi router. If they made black side panels and shaved off the popped collar top corners that would help massively (and would help the existing white ones a ton).

Honestly, I think that the PS5’s aesthetics are the most disappointing I’ve ever experienced. I was more disappointed by this reveal than the Virtual Boy, PS3, GameCube, and Wii remote.

GreatnessRD

That PS3 Super Slim II was some kind of trash. This poll is alarming that the PS5 is ahead. I'm no fan of the PS5 design by any stretch, but my Lord, that PS3 Slim II is 100% garbage, lol

David B

An Idiot
PS3 Super Slim. I hate it. The sliding top tray, the front and back panel. Cheap looking. I hate physically putting the disc on there, the laser exposed. The power is wiggly in the back. The PS3 slim is way better with slot loading suck in and spit out.

Unknown?

Totally on the same wavelength as you on these. The hate for the PS3 SS is a little surprising to me since I have one. I think it actually looks much better in person, but I agree the sliding door feels pretty cheap. Aesthetically it isn't bad, but if we mean design in terms of function as well, then that's more understandable.

I think nostalgia is definitely clouding people's judgement of the PS2. It's always been incredibly ugly to me, even in its heyday.
I feel the same at least for the PS3 SS. I think it looks good, it would look great if it used something else for the slider. If it wasn't so cheap looking it would be truly beautiful. Although I always liked the PS2 design but that may be because it was so futuristic at the time and looked unlike any other traditional console.

skit_data

Really not fond of the PS3 Super Slim. A lot of people have already mentioned it; It looks very plastic and cheap.

The PS5 Standard Edition has grown on me but it still looks a bit strange, all assymetrical. I never think my Digital Edition looks strange now, but my SO commented ”Well, that one looks better and more like a new console than your PS5” when i bought a PS3 Slim to play my Blurays.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The ps5 tips over and slides around when in horizonal configuration and accessing the buttons. WTF were they thinking?

Top Bottom