• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Xbox will have higher lifetime sales.

Which will sell more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Without incredible lookinh first party exclusives to push sales out of the gate, all the power the XSX has is wasted.

The XSS is the cheap and cheerful, low budget and casual/child friendly console for those that just want to play Minecraft, Fortnight and FIFA as cheaply as possible.

The XSS will wipe the floor with it's big sister basically.

Zones

Not even a question, at least Series S is cheap. Series X is already massively outdated, we'll see a mid gen upgrade for sure to at least 20tflops. No way a series X is a smart investment.
Only ~ 1.5% of all Steam users have RTX 2080 Super and higher-end GPUs.

So what makes you think 12TF RDNA 2 GPU is already outdated?

Please enlighten us.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not even a question, at least Series S is cheap. Series X is already massively outdated, we'll see a mid gen upgrade for sure to at least 20tflops. No way a series X is a smart investment.
So also #ripPS5? What is this post. You do realise that RDNA 2 is not even out on PC? I mean I don't expect miracles, however it's the most current technology as you can get.

Last edited:

CobraAB

The real high point for XBox was the 360.

ironically, Sony’s lowpoint was the same generations PS3.

And yet Sony beat them still but a hollow victory it was.

andyeah,I know Nintendo won that Nintendo won that generation with the Wii and it’s motion controller that nobody gives a rip about anymore.

CobraAB

i think the Series X is pretty decent bang for the buck.

yeah, same price as the upcoming 3070 which does have a good bit more power out of the box but does not exactly work out of the box unless you have the rest of a PC to plug it into.

and to make the best of it, you would probably want a fairly high end CPU, some fast Ram, fast SSD and a pretty chunky power supply in it.

llLeonhart

Only ~ 1.5% of all Steam users have RTX 2080 Super and higher-end GPUs.

So what makes you think 12TF RDNA 2 GPU is already outdated?

Please enlighten us.

You really measure technology by what the most people have?

So also #ripPS5? What is this post. You do realise that RDNA 2 is not even out on PC? I mean I don't expect miracles, however it's the most current technology as you can get.
Technologically speaking? Sure. In practicality? No because they're both trying very different things. Also I'm not saying the Series S/X is a butch as a whole, only that it makes much more sense to get a Series S, because is cheaper, and you'll get access to everything a series X can offer. If you're willing to ditch out more money for a better experience, you can do so on a PC because you'll get much more power, and still have access to everything a Series X can offer, and much more.

Aidah

What's the price of that storage expansion. Also how much do console users care about having access to physical.

For now I'll go with Series S simply because it's cheap, even though Series X is better value.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm not going to try to infer your console preference, but if you consider Series x to already be massively outdated then what does that say about their competition? I don't think Sony or MS are planning "pro" models anytime soon unless there is a big shake up in rendering pipelines. That's just my guess though.

M1chl

You really measure technology by what the most people have?

Technologically speaking? Sure. In practicality? No because they're both trying very different things. Also I'm not saying the Series S/X is a butch as a whole, only that it makes much more sense to get a Series S, because is cheaper, and you'll get access to everything a series X can offer. If you're willing to ditch out more money for a better experience, you can do so on a PC because you'll get much more power, and still have access to everything a Series X can offer, and much more.
Alright I got your point then : ) However some people don't like PC gaming, me included, even with 3090 on order and second XSX is still massively cheaper then PC, you need at least double that for some 3070 + Zen2 goodness and that's without monitor and that sort of stuff.

llLeonhart

Alright I got your point then : ) However some people don't like PC gaming, me included, even with 3090 on order and second XSX is still massively cheaper then PC, you need at least double that for some 3070 + Zen2 goodness and that's without monitor and that sort of stuff.
If you check my post history you'll know I don't fancy much for PC either, or for power, I have never bothered to upgrade my Standard PS4 for a Pro.

Cost effectiveness for me is the biggest deal, hence why I think the series S is a much more appealing product than Series X.
I would also say that is very likely we'll see a Series X Premium mid gen, which will be more powerfull, and probably retail at 499 as well, which, to me, would make more sense to wait for the more powerful version.

EDMIX

Likely Series S. Sad too as that is what 3rd parties will use as their reason for why they use it as their base for the whole generation.

edit. Bonfires Down Bonfires Down lolz, I could be wrong. I don't know if anyone has the official numbers from the last gen of 360 Pro vs Core (arcade) etc.

Last edited:

M1chl

If you check my post history you'll know I don't fancy much for PC either, or for power, I have never bothered to upgrade my Standard PS4 for a Pro.

Cost effectiveness for me is the biggest deal, hence why I think the series S is a much more appealing product than Series X.
I would also say that is very likely we'll see a Series X Premium mid gen, which will be more powerfull, and probably retail at 499 as well, which, to me, would make more sense to wait for the more powerful version.
I got what you saying, but I don't think this is "mainstream" view of things or maybe I am living in bubble.

llLeonhart

I'm not going to try to infer your console preference, but if you consider Series x to already be massively outdated then what does that say about their competition? I don't think Sony or MS are planning "pro" models anytime soon unless there is a big shake up in rendering pipelines. That's just my guess though.
Why keep bringing the "competition" into the equation? I did not say anything about them, this is about Series S vs Series X. and why I believe series S is the smarter investment while waiting for the mid gen upgrade.

MarkMe2525

Why keep bringing the "competition" into the equation? I did not say anything about them, this is about Series S vs Series X. and why I believe series S is the smarter investment while waiting for the mid gen upgrade.
My point wasn't so much to invite a direct comparison between the two, but more of an attempt to frame how bold the claim you are making is. That claim being that both companies premium sku is outdated at launch. My take is that you are technically correct when comparing to high-end PC components, but I doubt the relevance of that in someone's mind who is considering upgrading their console from current gen to next gen. Someone going from ps4 to ps5 or X1 to Series x is going to see a tremendous difference in performance.

I imagine most people will buy a PS5 and Series S

Potentially the Medium and Stalker2 make me want mouth, so S is a good option. And maybe Halo will get it's act together.

Last edited:
Likely Series S. Sad too as that is what 3rd parties will use as their reason for why they use it as their base for the whole generation.

edit. Bonfires Down Bonfires Down lolz, I could be wrong. I don't know if anyone has the official numbers from the last gen of 360 Pro vs Core (arcade) etc.
Yes, I'm talking about the S selling more. I'm not sure about the numbers of 360 Pro vs Core etc, but this time the price difference is $200 and I think $499 is stretching what many people are willing to pay for a console.

MS still did good developing a more powerful version too as they would have gotten a reputation of being weak if they hadn't.

I'm going against the grain and saying Series X will have higher lifetime sales.

Customers will pay $50 or $100 more to get the console they want, whether that means a PS5 instead of XsS or an XsX instead of PS5. I think they will all be priced close enough for one another for this to be the case. I think Series S will tank rather quickly (outside the first 2 years of sales) and Microsoft will quickly shift to pushing the XsX and the XsXXX mid-gen upgrade. XsX will survive most of the generation as it transitions from the "premium" system to the "introductory" system and XsS will be shuffled off stage a.s.a.p.

See: standard Arcade 360 (which replaced the Core) disappeared after 360 S launched, then the budget 360 E disappearing after a few years too. Standard Xbox One + Kinect bundle disappeared shortly after the $399 and $350 and $399 1TB SKUs showed up. X1 S quickly replaced the non-Kinect standard X1 systems.

Last edited:

llLeonhart

My point wasn't so much to invite a direct comparison between the two, but more of an attempt to frame how bold the claim you are making is. That claim being that both companies premium sku is outdated at launch. My take is that you are technically correct when comparing to high-end PC components, but I doubt the relevance of that in someone's mind who is considering upgrading their console from current gen to next gen. Someone going from ps4 to ps5 or X1 to Series x is going to see a tremendous difference in performance.
Still, I stand with my point.
The comparison isn't really far, like I said in a previous post, if you look at technology alone, the PS5 is outdated as well. But the PS5 still offers things that a more capable PC can't, either with exclusive games or even the haptics(which, let's face it, will likely come to PC, but hasn't been confirmed.)
The argument for Series X thus far, has been power, and that's not from me, mind you, is from MS, their card is power.
If you take into account that a Series S can do anything a Series X can do, for cheaper, it is my view a smarter investment. Because a beefier box will come mid gen for sure.

I'm going against the grain and saying Series X will have higher lifetime sales.

Customers will pay $50 or $100 more to get the console they want, whether that means a PS5 instead of XsS or an XsX instead of PS5. I think they will all be priced close enough for one another for this to be the case. I think Series S will tank rather quickly (outside the first 2 years of sales) and Microsoft will quickly shift to pushing the XsX and the XsXXX mid-gen upgrade. XsX will survive most of the generation as it transitions from the "premium" system to the "introductory" system and XsS will be shuffled off stage a.s.a.p.

See: standard Arcade 360 (which replaced the Core) disappeared after 360 S launched, then the budget 360 E disappearing after a few years too. Standard Xbox One + Kinect bundle disappeared shortly after the $399 and $350 and $399 1TB SKUs showed up. X1 S quickly replaced the non-Kinect standard X1 systems.
I don't think the S will tank but it's certainly true that it will be easier to lower the cost of the X, and at some point the cost difference might be small enough that it doesn't make sense to keep selling the S.

Obviously the Series S will sell more, just as the PS4 sells more than the Pro (I don't believe a simultaneous release would have changed that).

Still, I refuse to go all digital so if I choose to upgrade my One X it'll be the Series X for me. I also have a 4K TV so it makes sense.

We will never know. MS will bundle both together for XS sales.

Though i won't guess at which will sell best until i see the games. If they look phenomenal on the XSX and shit-tier on the XSS, well...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Well at least it's not as massively outdated as the weaker PS5.

Back on topic: I think the XsS will sell the most by a large margin. I'm going to get an XsX but I think the general public will go overwhelmingly for the lowest priced next gen console.

Top Bottom