• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

While homelessness surges in Disneyland's shadow, Anaheim removes bus benches.

a lot more humane than the coin-op bench that requires you to pay money to remove the spikes!!

ww4Eugh.jpg

Jesus fucking christ. How much of an absolute monster do you have to be to even dream this up?

It's an art installation lol
http://www.fabianbrunsing.de

Ah, ok then.
I still think you have to be an asshole to think it up, even if they trying to make a point...maybe?

SeanC

tbh I don't even know what is the solution to the homeless problems. Here in hawaii we have a ton of homeless camps and they are getting bigger everyday. They also produce a huge amount of trash and other problems. The city tried to clean up the camps but they just move elsewhere. At some place the homeless has gotten so bad that it make resident feel unsafe going outside. Hawaii is a very expensive place, even with tax increase and social housing, there's just no way to have enough space for all the homeless people, most of them don't have a livable job either and are usually with kids. I'm just not sure what the solution is.

There is and isn't. It's not a one-problem thing but many problems as every homeless person has an issue, some permanent and some temporary that range from financial reasons to addiction to mental health to just not caring and fine with where they are. Major metropolitan areas spend their money two ways: social services (not enough) and policing (probably too much, but with growing homeless population means growing policing).

I've lived in LA for a long time now, seen the large scope of the issue that ranges from me feeling pity and giving a little money to me really angry at them when they feel threatening/calling me names (getting called names daily wears on you, I guess I have that kind of face) or destroy property. I suppose that's reflective of the problem itself: feeling bad for some, not so bad for others because, at the end of the day, we don't know their entire stories and tackling homelessness is less pushing a button for all and dealing with individuals and their own personal issues. Like any large group of people, it's not all great and not all bad, it's...just complicated like anything else.

I've always believed in grassroots on the issue - outreach and the like because a lot of homeless just don't know their options or totally in their own world, but that means a lot of money, a plan to deal to get to individuals on a personal level and a lot of people to commit to something that may not even work for a lot of the people needing the help. It's an impossible dream, some local organizations are doing it on a small scale in some of the districts in LA really needing it, but it can't keep up with the increasing problems and even with money supposedly committed to battling the issue, I think the city is likely going to funnel it into just policing homeless people and not funding those organizations that might be able to battle it from the ground up.

tbh I don't even know what is the solution to the homeless problems. Here in hawaii we have a ton of homeless camps and they are getting bigger everyday. They also produce a huge amount of trash and other problems. The city tried to clean up the camps but they just move elsewhere. At some place the homeless has gotten so bad that it make resident feel unsafe going outside. Hawaii is a very expensive place, even with tax increase and social housing, there's just no way to have enough space for all the homeless people, most of them don't have a livable job either and are usually with kids. I'm just not sure what the solution is.

The solution is to make housing cheap to prevent more people going homeless and give the already homeless, homes. No questions asked.

Jakten

I've stayed in Santa Ana a number of times and the amount of homeless people is unbelievable and so many of them have medical problems and are using crutches or wheelchairs. Most of LA area California, once you step out of the Tourist areas it's like this. The division between rich and poor California is absolutely staggering. Walking even 3 blocks from the E3 convention centre is insane, its like a clear cut warzone. Like you step over a line and every building derelict and boarded up and there is just people lying everywhere. I can't believe there is nothing in place to help these people. Worst place I've ever been it literally depresses me every time I think about it. Considering the mind set of some of the well off people I know who live in that area it doesn't surprise me either. Worst most racist, hateful scum of the fucking earth.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah it's a big problem In OC. There have been huge homeless encampments in a flood channel near the Honda center by the freeway that were there for a year and were recently cleared out over the past 6 months.

At least LA is doing something about it. I know of nothing going on in OC, personally other than the shooing away they are doing

NoRéN

I've stayed in Santa Ana a number of times and the amount of homeless people is unbelievable and so many of them have medical problems and are using crutches or wheelchairs. Most of LA area California, once you step out of the Tourist areas it's like this. The division between rich and poor California is absolutely staggering. Walking even 3 blocks from the E3 convention centre is insane, its like a clear cut warzone. Like you step over a line and every building derelict and boarded up and there is just people lying everywhere. I can't believe there is nothing in place to help these people. Worst place I've ever been it literally depresses me every time I think about it. Considering the mind set of some of the well off people I know who live in that area it doesn't surprise me either. Worst most racist, hateful scum of the fucking earth.
Dude, downtown la. 5th street by the la mission. You got these new "lofts" right there in skid row.

It's literally the haves living above the have nots.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
NoRéN;243782085 said:
Dude, downtown la. 5th street by the la mission. You got these new "lofts" right there in skid row.

It's literally the haves living above the have nots.
Yep, the lofts in DTLA are an embarrassment when you see the homeless encampments.

Zoe

The solution is to make housing cheap to prevent more people going homeless and give the already homeless, homes. No questions asked.

It's not as simple as just moving people somewhere else and putting roofs over their heads. Many need mental health services and drug counseling.

Before moving to Toronto last year, I lived in Los Angeles/Hollywood for two years. The homeless population was insane, you were literally stepping over bodies on the sidewalk. People just sprawled out like a battlefield, it was crazy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's not as simple as just moving people somewhere else and putting roofs over their heads. Many need mental health services and drug counseling.

Yup, plus employment is an issue not just a roof over their heads.

As someone who lives in a nearby city and someone who drives past Anaheim, and to Disneyland often.. the homeless need to go. There are some serious encampments and the city needs to come up with a real plan to build shelters and get them off the street or located elsewhere. The area has gone from a nice area to just a slum in certain parts due to homelessness and littering. Matter of fact, Anaheim has done a poor job of dealing with this for a few years now. There is a major homeless encampment off the 57 FWY by Angel stadium now too.

akileese

It was really bad when I was there for Blizzcon back in '06 to '10 You wouldn't see them as much during the convention hours but if you stayed until Tuesday or Wednesday, it was super depressing. I was shocked as I spent a lot of time in NYC during my 20s and the homeless problem there seemed to pale in comparison to Anaheim, especially comparing the size of the two cities.

Is this only getting attention now because the congregation spots have been removed or has it really gotten that much worse? I admittedly haven't been there since 2013, but it did seem notably worse than even a few years before that.

As someone who lives in a nearby city and someone who drive past Anaheim, and to Disneyland often.. the homeless need to go. There are some serious encampments and the city needs to come up with a real plan to build shelters and get them off the street or located elsewhere. The area has gone from a nice area to just a slum in certain parts due to homelessness and littering. Matter of fact, Anaheim has done a poor job of dealing with this for a few years now. There is a major homeless encampment off the 57 FWY by Angel stadium now too.

And I remember seeing these camps off 57 FWY when I was there. Anaheim as a whole, just seems to not give a shit about it at all and I'm sure Disney is pressuring them to just try and relocate them farther from Disneyland. Honestly, if Disney wants them gone that bad, they could financially contribute to trying to fix the issue instead of pressuring the city to remove fucking benches.

Jakten

How are those spikes even legal? What if somebody tripped and fell into them?

Considering how many homeless people in California seem to be suffering from some sort of medical issue or injury I imagine they don't give a shit as long as Disney is making money.

If you can't afford medical care because you fell on a spike it's unlikely you can afford to go to Disney anyways so go away. Go live under a rock so people with money don't have to feel guilty about your existence.

Ric Flair

Banned
If they cut a fraction of a percent from military budget the homeless problem in many major cities could be solved through rehab and housing. It's a shame such a rich country is filled to the brim with selfish people

Gallbaro

Banned
* Living wedges
* Free healthcare
* Free education
* Taxing accordingly
* Ditch the "free market" fairy tale.

You know, like a first world country!
Yet you write nothing about housing.

Most homeless people have had free education and have access to basically free healthcare.

The issue is the middle class goes fuck you got mine when it comes to building more housing.

yea it's getting bigger every month. I was also down in Santa ana for jury duty, and right in the middle of the plaza there was a huge section with homeless people right next ot the courthouse.

I work at the courthouse right next to that plaza. It's a terrible situation... hypodermic needles can be found all around the outside of the courthouse, and they have to power wash the concrete weekly because there's urine and feces everywhere.

It's only going to get worse, too. Rent prices in OC are out of control.

mcrommert

Banned
Lol yeah people just loooooooove being homeless. It's great sleeping on the streets and dealing with the constant threats of theft, physical harm, illness and the fucking weather.

This attitude is gross. You don't know shit about the situation and you're generalizing people because they annoy you. Because they have the audacity to not have a fucking home.

You do realize that most people who are homeless in the US are by choice? There is a reason mental illness is rampant among the homeless population... They often refuse to take part in govt programs that could help them.

But you guys have an agenda.. Keep on that

It's not like the us homeless population percent is very close to Norway and other western countries

Osukaa

I work about 3 or 4 blocks from Disneyland and yeah the homeless situation is really bad. We have guys squatting on the stairs leading up to our business and there are numerous time where they just go to the restroom on the stairs themselves or right in front of the stairs. There have also been times when we had some homeless people walk in our offices all drugged up. Our boss just let her sit down and gave her some water. He said dont call the cops just let her sit for a while and she will leave. Sure enough she left like 30 mins later.

Its really weird cause once you get close to Disneyland its like night and day. I understand how some people are worried about safety concerns and will the homeless taking up the benches. I've seen some homeless legit just sleep on the benches all day and put up blankets to block the sun lol. Its a hard call to make of what to do, I wish the city would use some of its money to get more shelters and help these people but then it comes down to if they even want any help as I believe alot of them are mentally unstable from a couple of encounters I've had. It sucks to see people on the streets when your waiting to order food from a drive through or if your going to Disneyland and you see homeless everywhere asking for money.. but at the same time its not right to pretend its not happening..

Damn, life is cruel...

TheYanger

I work at the courthouse right next to that plaza. It's a terrible situation... hypodermic needles can be found all around the outside of the courthouse, and they have to power wash the concrete weekly because there's urine and feces everywhere.

Yep, It's not even remotely as bad where I am (Sacramento) and last time I went to Jury duty they had to hand us a note and go on the loudspeaker at the start of the day telling everyone that if they sat on any steps or benches outside the janitors could not assure the cleanliness due to the homeless that sleep there. Sad for everyone :/

Gallbaro

Banned
You do realize that most people who are homeless in the US are by choice? There is a reason mental illness is rampant among the homeless population... They often refuse to take part in govt programs that could help them.

But you guys have an agenda.. Keep on that

It's not like the us homeless population percent is very close to Norway and other western countries
Citation needed. This goes way way against starts I have seen.

mcrommert

Banned
Citation needed. This goes way way against starts I have seen.

As part of population... Us is .18%.. Norway is .13% https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Homelessness is terrible and especially among children which has been on the rise... But there is a reason that 75%-80% of homeless are men... Specific to those with terrible mental illness and after the us changed laws about forced institutionalization in the 70s...often there isn't much towns and cities can do

Jakten

Who is paying for all this?

The people currently paying for death spikes and then eventually the people who aren't dying because of death spikes.

You have no idea how mental illness works. If it is messing with reality as you perceive it even the ones who are doing it out of choice it probably makes rational sense to THEM but they still need help. Case in point my mother is schizophrenic and refuses to go to the hospital because she believes the government is poisoning the medicine. She wants help but in her reality the help people want for her is actively trying to kill her. We managed to get her on meds and now she realizes how important they are to keep her well but that's because she isn't thinking through a cloud of psychosis.

Not to mention how expensive mental help is in the US. I have a friend who had a severe depressive episode and was at risk of suicide. They sent an ambulance and kept him at the hospital for the mandatory 72 hours. His entire stay there including ambulance cost as much as it cost me as a Canadian to go to college for an entire year. They didn't help him at all so now he is suicidal and $6500 poorer which only add to his stress levels which leads to worse mental illness. So even if you want help sometimes it's not going to be helpful in the slightest. I'm ectremely lucky that taking care of the depression I have from worrying about my mom constantly cost me nothing outside of the cost for meds which is paltry in Canada.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
As part of population... Us is .18%.. Norway is .13% https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Homelessness is terrible and especially among children which has been on the rise... But there is a reason that 75%-80% of homeless are men... Specific to those with terrible mental illness and after the us changed laws about forced institutionalization in the 70s...often there isn't much towns and cities can do

I may have missed it, but where does that show that the homeless choose to be homeless?

Gallbaro

Banned

Yes but unless I missed something in your link, by choice is not the main reason. There main reason is people cannot afford housing. Working homelessness is a huge project of the homeless population. The junkies, and mental issues, are just the most visible.

Kill3r7

A complete dick move. I feel like Disney would have some resources to help diminish the homeless problem, yet they are just wasting time making the homeless QoL even worse. On a related note, it's so terrible seeing those bars being put on bus benches too.

NYC has taken a similar approach to deter homeless people from sleeping on benches. Most notably near Penn Station. Also, Disney does not have the resources to do jack shit when anything that might be perceived as altruism leads to shareholder revolt.

If anybody has driven down the 57 by angel stadium, there is an entire homeless camp there.

It's pretty sad.

Didn't that pop up because of all the flooding in the last big rain, causing homeless from all over the local area to abandon their regular spots and band together at higher ground?

Jakten

And if you want to think about it in a cold manner. Helping the mentally ill is in all aspects a benefit to society. Having a person of sound mind means they are going to be able to contribute to that society by making and spending money and goods. That's good for the economy as well. Leaving people to suffer is a drain in every manner. It costs money to keep cleaning up after them, detaining them, prevent them (violent architecture etc.) , disposing of them should they pass away what ever other heartless junk you can think of. It all costs you money. It's absolutely better in every way to make sure those people are back on their feet as soon as possible and contributing to society. Your ignorance is costing everyone money far more than helping these people ever would.

Gallbaro

Banned
NYC has taken a similar approach to deter homeless people from sleeping on benches. Most notably near Penn Station. Also, Disney does not have the resources to do jack shit when anything that might be perceived as altruism leads to shareholder revolt.
Penn station homeless ARE junkies though.

Linkura

Going to Disneyland in two months for the first time ever. Our hotel is about a half mile away from the parks and we were planning to walk... I'm sure I'll be seeing this. I just couldn't justify the cost of staying at a Disneyland on-site hotel and paying more than double (even with their discounted room rates that just came out today) for no perks other than not walking by homeless people.

Jakten

Penn station homeless ARE junkies though.

Addiction is still a mental illness though and it's likely that those people are self-medicating in order to stave off another mental illness be it depression, anxiety disorders or something more debilitating.

I'm curious to know the difference in prices between street drugs and the prescription drugs (w/o insurance) that have similar effects on various mental illnesses. I wouldn't be surprised that street drugs are cheaper. Unfortunately I can't find any info on that.

Zoe

I don't think the people affected by rising rents are the same as the ones leaving behind needles and defacating on the sidewalk.

Top Bottom