• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Story official site opens! (NOW WITH HOLY CRAP VIDEO)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just saw the pics. Looking mighty nice. Great art.

Is this a Sony published game?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wowee!! That shit looks ****in astonishing!

Possibly dumb question, but is that using cel shading? It sorta looks like it in some parts.

Game-Biz

It's nice to see a game living up to Sony's promises (at least in the graphical depatment) -- the game looks stunning. Now please, Level 5, make it a great game.

Doctor_No

video interview with Akihiro Hino of Level 5 regarding White Knight Story and the PS3. All in Japanese, bullet points in the bottom go different section of the interview.

Several points in the interview which I thought was interesting: one was that he wants to destroy previous norms in JRPGs, for instance, he wants HP to be represented by small colored gems on the screen rather then numbers. He also wants to express the condition of the chracters more through facial expressions and body language rather then numerical parameters on the screen. So a hurt chracter will show fatigue on his face and body language. Game also will be played out in real-time(as seen in the video) and will be focused on a combo system (up to 7-hit combo).

http://www.playbeyond.jp/

pcostabel

Gold Member
It seems to use a similar technique as DC2: cartoony textures plus an outline. Not properly toon shading, but an equivalent non photorealistic technique.

RyuHayate

The TRUE next-generation of J-RPGs starts here.

After watching footage of White Knight Story, I have to assume that most developers working in this genre have their tail between their legs, shivering in a dark corner as they contemplate how in the **** they are going to top this.

J-Rzez

You know what? I've fell into a trap... a money trap... I mean shit... I saw Resistance, I was like Damn, that looks hot! Then Heavenly Sword came along, and I thought, this is f'n incredible... then, there's DMC4, I was like F*** yeah... Then there was Motorstorm and F1, thought these look so effin' fun... Then I saw MGS4, though, man... this is great... it doesn't get any better than these...

Then I saw this and Shat all over the place....... S*** hit the fan... went everywhere, floor, walls, ceiling...

I'm a big JRPG fan... and this has me so excited, I just bust out the zipper of my jeans...

These are launch/1st gen games? WTF?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RyuHayate said:
The TRUE next-generation of J-RPGs starts here.

After watching footage of White Knight Story, I have to assume that most developers working in this genre have their tail between their legs, shivering in a dark corner as they contemplate how in the **** they are going to top this.
:lol

Im pretty sure they are doing that right now /sarcarsm

temjin

Banned
Everything about that trailer is amazing, As the first level opens, the music sounds so fantasy like and just awesome... Goddamn.

I can't even explain how much that trailer impressed me.

RyuHayate

Error2k4 said:
:lol

Im pretty sure they are doing that right now /sarcarsm

Alright, perhaps I took it too far in that post. Can you blame me for exaggerating, though? The game looks gorgeous and epic.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RyuHayate said:
Alright, perhaps I took it too far in that post. Can you blame me for exaggerating, though? The game looks gorgeous and epic.
no I dont blame you, everyone is acting the same way :p

Speevy

Banned
RyuHayate said:

These developers don't all have the budget/talent to push the PS3 to its limits, but I'd say that nearly all of the next-gen JRPGs are stunning, whether you personally believe so or not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oblivion said:
Wowee!! That shit looks ****in astonishing!

Possibly dumb question, but is that using cel shading? It sorta looks like it in some parts.

I wanted to see your response. You made me :)

mckmas8808

Speevy said:
These developers don't all have the budget/talent to push the PS3 to its limits, but I'd say that nearly all of the next-gen JRPGs are stunning, whether you personally believe so or not.

5 years from now they will be though.

ELS-01X

Banned
Looks and moves amazing. The thing I don't like is that while the environments look almost photorrealistic, the characters look off, like they're cell shaded or something.

Raistlin

ELS-01X said:
Looks and moves amazing. The thing I don't like is that while the environments look almost photorrealistic, the characters look off, like they're cell shaded or something.

It's intentional ... though liking it is obviously a personal thing.

I consider it to be similar to the direction many of the higher-budget anime has been going to. Many times, they combine CG backgrounds with hand-drawn anime character.

I'm fine with how those animes look - and consider the background versus character difference to actually be more jarring than in this game. In the case of those anime, the standard (ie. choppy) animation of the characters is pretty obvious over the smooth panning of the rendered backgrounds.

In this game, at least everything is running with a smooth rendered frame-rate.

LevelNth

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I like that they're really trying something new with the gameplay. For as pretty as alot of RPG's are next gen alot of them seem to be using the same basic mechanics we've been seeing for years. So it's good to see someone step out on a limb.
Totally and fully agree. This is my number one complaint concerning the big 4 jRPG's lined up for the 360 so far (though to be fair, the jury is still out on Infinite Undiscovery), especially Mistwalker's two titles. Now don't get me wrong, I still love the traditional style, and I'm sure there will be many RPG's like that this gen that I'll greatly enjoy playing, but I want to see more RPG's breaking the mold this gen than we had last.

WKS is an absolute perfect example of what I want to see more of. Level 5 is just so damn awesome.

EDIT: Just noticed Gamespot has listed that WKS is a mere 10% completed.

xaosslug

Gee, for a fledgling IP, by a supposedly "iffy" developer... White Knight Story appears to have made quite a big the impression on NeoGAF. 11 pages and growing! :lol

Could this be game of the show?

Bebpo

Banned
LevelNth said:
EDIT: Just noticed Gamespot has listed that WKS is a mere 10% completed.

Honestly I expect it to be a big X-mas game next year in Japan with an early 2008 release in the US. Most of the big show-off titles come out in Nov/Dec each year.

Chrono

Banned
Bebpo said:
Honestly I expect it to be a big X-mas game next year in Japan with an early 2008 release in the US. Most of the big show-off titles come out in Nov/Dec each year.

A little over a year in development for an RPG that's only 10% complete..? No way will this game come out before 2008. :p

Ceebs

Maybe this is just me, but as amazing as the game looks, the battle system could become pretty tedious pretty quick. That one fight lasted for a while, and if this is like any other JRPG there will be hundreds of them.

Bebpo

Banned
Chrono said:
A little over a year in development for an RPG that's only 10% complete..? No way this comes out before 2008. :p

Don't always go by the numbers. Just getting an engine running with characters + enemies means 30-50% with a lot of developers :p

I'd bet my hat that the Japan release is next December.

Mononofu

Ceebs said:
Maybe this is just me, but as amazing as the game looks, the battle system could become pretty tedious pretty quick. That one fight lasted for a while, and if this is like any other JRPG there will be hundreds of them.

Even if the battle system sucks they don't appear to be random so you probably be able skip a lot of them.

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
Don't always go by the numbers. Just getting an engine running with characters + enemies means 30-50% with a lot of developers :p

I'd bet my hat that the Japan release is next December.

Think you're right, probably should be out between July-Decemenber 07, Japanese developers, for the most part, don't show off their games like this if its going to be release 2 years away. . .unless its Dragon Quest 6 or 7.

mckmas8808

momolicious said:
was that real gameplay? it seemed just like a video to show how they would do it but not really gameplay

Yep it was real. Level 5 said that they are trying new things with this JRPG.

2dki915.gif

7Th

J-Rzez said:
You know what? I've fell into a trap... a money trap... I mean shit... I saw Resistance, I was like Damn, that looks hot! Then Heavenly Sword came along, and I thought, this is f'n incredible... then, there's DMC4, I was like F*** yeah... Then there was Motorstorm and F1, thought these look so effin' fun... Then I saw MGS4, though, man... this is great... it doesn't get any better than these...

Then I saw this and Shat all over the place....... S*** hit the fan... went everywhere, floor, walls, ceiling...

I'm a big JRPG fan... and this has me so excited, I just bust out the zipper of my jeans...

These are launch/1st gen games? WTF?

My thoughts exactly.

PS3... I'm sorry I doubted you.

I don't know about this... If that's really how it plays - then yeah it will be awesome, but somehow i don't think the finished game will be the same. Especially if it really is only 10% complete.

Speevy

Banned
Is this like Oblivion? Can you just turn right off that path in the video and start running across the world? Like for example, DQ8 had an open world but a closed path.

Doctor_No

Speevy said:
Is this like Oblivion? Can you just turn right off that path in the video and start running across the world? Like for example, DQ8 had an open world but a closed path.

From the video it seem you pickup quests, the quest in the video was "003" so I'm assuming there are at least a hundred or so. While I don't think its open-ended as Oblivion and you can't go running around the world (there is an overworld map), but it seems that game is realtively non-linear compared to other JRPGs and I'm assuming you can go on side-quests and do otherthings before you play the main storyline.

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
That's my question as well. These are by far the best graphics yet on the PS3... I honestly don't see how anyone could argue that.

I just wish they had shown one of the characters run off the road and into the forest... because THAT would have sold me 110% on the game. If it's a linear experience where you can only travel down one path, and then meet up with pre-scripted enemies/events... then that's a much more controlled environment and a much less impressive technical achievement, imo.

Odysseus

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Yep it was real. Level 5 said that they are trying new things with this JRPG.

2dki915.gif

If that was all indeed real time, then they are easily the best graphics I have seen in a PS3 game, possibly any game (I think Viva Pinata is quite beautiful, as well). The surrounding environment, really, is just gorgeous.

RyuHayate

Odysseus said:
If that was all indeed real time, then they are easily the best graphics I have seen in a PS3 game, possibly any game (I think Viva Pinata is quite beautiful, as well). The surrounding environment, really, is just gorgeous.

Plus the fact that the transition from the pages of a mission selection screen into an actual environment is just flat-out amazing.

Dear God,

Thank you for allowing Level 5 to exist.

Love,

RyuHayate

Surreal

Odysseus said:

Really, if this wasn't from Level 5, I probably wouldn't believe it.

Top Bottom