• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Story official site opens! (NOW WITH HOLY CRAP VIDEO)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Doctor_No said:
Several points in the interview which I thought was interesting: one was that he wants to destroy previous norms in JRPGs, for instance, he wants HP to be represented by small colored gems on the screen rather then numbers.
Quintet did this a long time ago.

WYWY

OK, at least - for his age - this protagonist doesn't feel pubescent and emo.... yet. Hopefully these aspects pass my biases. Other than that, this product is very compelling. Maybe I'll wait for its release to purchase a PS3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
icarus-daedelus said:
Seriously. I haven't been this excited about next-gen since, wouldyalookatthat, e3 2k5! And my excitement here is far less shallow than it was back then - not only do these games look damn near the target renders, but they seem to have genuinely great, innovative gameplay as well.

TGS has delivered, I think.

Glad other people are feeling the same as I am. I'm excited too.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
Is this like Oblivion? Can you just turn right off that path in the video and start running across the world? Like for example, DQ8 had an open world but a closed path.

Dude, it's a jrpg. I'm pretty sure to the right there is that river bank and to the left 10 feet off the trail there are trees or something blocking movement.

If you don't like the idea of area maps like Grandia 3/FFXII/Star Ocean 3 then you're not going to like 99.9% of rpgs coming out of Japan next-gen.

Speevy

Banned
It wasn't a slant against the game, Bebpo. Looks absolutely phenomenal, and without the texture pop-in it seems.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
It wasn't a slant against the game, Bebpo. Looks absolutely phenomenal, and without the texture pop-in it seems.

I know, but it seemed like you were hoping for something open ended like DQVIII and honestly if you keep hoping for rpgs like that you're just going to be disappointed one after another since stuff with full worlds like that are once in a blue moon from Japan.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but it's better to give up that dream because it's just not gonna happen :\

PleoMax

Banned
Bebpo said:
I know, but it seemed like you were hoping for something open ended like DQVIII and honestly if you keep hoping for rpgs like that you're just going to be disappointed one after another since stuff with full worlds like that are once in a blue moon from Japan.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but it's better to give up that dream because it's just not gonna happen :\

Japanese gamers like some sort of focus, i don't think a game Like Oblivion would be very well accepted in Japan.

Uh, wow. I just watched the trailer again, but this time full-screen on my 21" Trinitron. GOD, DAMN. Looks absolutely unbelievably amazing!

Holy Shit! I know Im way late on this thread but I damn. I was excited to hear about a new lvl5 game but The description I read just seemed boring to me. Those shots and vid however are freaking epic.

Damn you Sony!
I wasn't going to buy that shitty machine, yet you make this one game...
Beter not have wanna-be motion sensor controls >_>

But seriously... the story, the features, the big boss thingies...
must have...

JackSparrow Ninja said:
Damn you Sony!
I wasn't going to buy that shitty machine, yet you make this one game...
Beter not have wanna-be motion sensor controls >_>

But seriously... the story, the features, the big boss thingies...
must have...

Price drops, m'boy. Rely on either Nintendo, Microsoft, or handhelds to keep yourself happy, then when the PS3 drops into an acceptable range, pick it up along with the best it's library got.

Pureauthor said:
Price drops, m'boy. Rely on either Nintendo, Microsoft, or handhelds to keep yourself happy, then when the PS3 drops into an acceptable range, pick it up along with the best it's library got.
After all those Trailers I dont know if I can hold out (assuming 500 bux systems aren't impossible to find). I'll have to buy the last few ps2 games and squint really hard, maybe it will look next gen.

I'm very impressed by the trailer, very impressed & I'm an RPG hater.

what makes White Knight Story the most apealing is the seamless nature of it.

unlike tradition turn based J-RPGs where all your team mates are frozen on the sidelines or on the bench, and you do your FF garbage step attack, step out return to the bench crap.......
White Knight Story's combat + fluid animation makes it look like cinematic fight but in real time, to me that is so cool and visually pleasy, especially when your team members are also engaged on the field and not bench on a Final Fantasy sideline waiting for their Turn.

and unlike craptastic Western clickity clicky Diablo masheroony RPGs where it's all hack hack hack hack with a huddle of monsters who's AI is less developped then the ghosts in Pac-Man wich makes ugly fighting to visually see.

White Knight Story impressed this RPG hater, and I consider adding this to my 2007 list.

I would never touch a finger on FF turned based sidelined J-RPG, I would never touch a masheroony DIablo, Baldur's Gate, Jade EMpire Western Craptastic RPG with the worst animations in the business..
But I will play White Knight Story and I hope that it has enough of an impact to turn this genre towards the right direction of evolution

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Where in this huge thread or elsewhere can I go to get an explanation as to how exactly that battle system works?

I don't think anyone REALLY knows how it works.

Though it seems you place actions in the horizontal slots at the bottom of the screen... and then either select them or it somehow gives them priorities (maybe a bit like gambits?). Various sites have postulated about these possibilities (and one at least even suggested that menu may pop up before all battles, but I find this hard to believe). Some of the actions seem in place to do team attacks as well, which leads me to believe they're manually selected (as when the main character grabs a soldier and the girl smacks him up).

It seems to be borrowing a lot from FFXII and XIII at any rate

duckroll

It's pretty obvious how the battle system works.

You go into the menu at anytime to equip different attacks you have on the slots below. There are 4 categories of attack types, with each type being able to connect to the next type in succession. But you can equip attacks that don't connect simply to have them in your active arsenal.

You select the slots probably with L/R, and you hit a button to execute them. For the main character the first attack in the demo is set up as slash. So it's a basic attack which he keeps doing and combos. The next one is Shield Bash where he charges at an enemy with his shield, this is also a basic attack. The other is the hold move, which is also a basic attack.

For the other character, the slots were equipped such that the moves would chain into each other as they executed. The slash is a basic attack, which chains into a strike type (indicated by the icon) uppercut slash. That in turn chains into an aerial move (again, icon) which slams the enemy from the air to the ground. Finally the chain ends with a magic attack, in this case Firebolt. So with a perfect set of 4 chained moves, he can simply keep attacking with one button and as long as all the attacks hit successfully, they'll chain into each other.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I don't think anyone REALLY knows how it works.

Not sure where this translation comes from, but apparently some of the battle system was explained in Famitsu.

The player equips actions into the seven slots at the bottom of the screen. Each action provokes a response and has a counter, as explained in the info screen when they are selecting each action. The ones chosen for the White Knight character were slash, shield attack and grab. Meanwhile, the mustachoied older man chose a series of attacks that when put in that order created a combo you can activate, because of the type of attack. You can see little icons at the side of the name which tells which is which.

So then in actual battle, the player positions the character and makes the targeting reticle. Inside the reticle is the action you've chosen and you can switch to any of the other actions along the bottom at any time, when you push the button, it activates and paper/rock/scissors thing goes into effect. So the shield bash should knock down an enemy as it did, but not if its met with a well-timed thrust attack and so on. This is demonstrated when the White Knight character gets his arm hurt from inputting slash attacks at the wrong time (and perhaps having little strength as well).

Just like Rogue Galaxy, you can switch the active character at any time, and they all speak about battle conditions so you can hear what's going on without seeing it. So later on, when the female character talks, she's asking for help and he switches to the White Knight goes behind the guy and activates "grab" to hold him by the arms so she can beat him up.

KurowaSan

20060925.jpg

icarus-daedelus said:
Seriously. I haven't been this excited about next-gen since, wouldyalookatthat, e3 2k5! And my excitement here is far less shallow than it was back then - not only do these games look damn near the target renders, but they seem to have genuinely great, innovative gameplay as well.

TGS has delivered, I think.
Word. The next gen games at TGS actually made previous gen games look completely outdated for once. I know the money I spend of these machines will be well worth it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm interested in this game not because of the graphics (which are great) but the combat system, which looks like an evolution of Western RPG-style battle systems.

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
WOW. Level-5's tradition of creating awesomeness is still continuing I see. I like the conversations while walking along, the seamless transitions, gorgeous graphics, incredible looking nature settings, and the blend of action RPG gameplay and MMORG gameplay. This gives me another reason to save money for a PS3.

Log4Girlz

The characters aren't light years beyond what ps2 can do (I'm shocked by what they can do with the system in its final years), but they have such a crisp clean look to them. Now the atmosphere and animation is truly next-generation.

Log4Girlz said:
The characters aren't light years beyond what ps2 can do (I'm shocked by what they can do with the system in its final years), but they have such a crisp clean look to them. Now the atmosphere and animation is truly next-generation.

yeah I agree with that assesment. It is like they have finally been able to use the source art of their textures instead of their 64x64 16 color ones that normally hold them back. Nothing going on here complex shader wise but the game looks so crisp.

qcf x2

After watching the video I don't think the graphics were necessarily groundbreaking, but they definately were impressive, particularly the backgrounds. What impressed me the most was the atmosphere and presentation.

The video reminds me of a next-gen, fully 3D Shining Force III with realtime combat. Awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Log4Girlz said:

Depending on what you think light years mean.

Is it just me or White Knight is partly cel shaded? Especially the characters look kinda cel shaded to me.

iapetus said:
Some multiple of 9,460,536,207,068,016 metres. At least twice that value.

In that case he's right. The models aren't light years beyond PS2. :)

eXistor

Just watched the thing again...my god. And people though the PS3 was going to fail. Death to the non-believers!

Surreal

eXistor said:
Just watched the thing again...my god. And people though the PS3 was going to fail. Death to the non-believers!

:)

wksclearonline.jpg

As someone mentioned before, ONLINE! I can't wait to see what they do with this.

eXistor said:

Yes, because everyone knows quality games are confirmed to sell.

We are talking sales, right?

And even if we're not, a good (or even awesome) game does not a good system make. PS3 has awesome games, but still too few to justify a purchase.

PG2G said:
Haha, really? The console would be worth it even if they never released a game after all the TGS ones :p

Eh... based on the games that we know of until now, I'd get:

RE5
DMC4
FFXIII
MAYBE FFvsXIII
WKS

5 games. Hardly enough. It's a start, but hardly enough.

Holtz

Pureauthor said:
Eh... based on the games that we know of until now, I'd get:

RE5
DMC4
FFXIII
MAYBE FFvsXIII
WKS

5 games. Hardly enough. It's a start, but hardly enough.
Just because YOU don't like them, doesn't mean they aren't awesome games. MGS4, MOTOR****INGSTORM, Formula 1, RESISTANCE, Ridge Racer 7,etc. Well, how about that. 10 great games that i want and those are only the announced stuff. Yeah, the PS3 is definitely not worth it. :/

Top Bottom