• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White police officer shoots Black teen dead. Batman responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The f?! Batman isn't creepy nor is he flawed.
Batman is fucking crazy and paranoid and thsts what makes him interesting. Bruce Wayne is his costume, Batman is who he is.

His no-kill philosophy and the supervillain revolving door at Arkham gets tons of people killed. Every time he puts away the Joker, the Joker gets out and creates more orphans like Wayne. Beating up criminals doesn't really do much anyway. How can you even convict someone of a crime because they were found beat up and tied up at the scene?

Batman is a criminal and his no-kill rule is about convincing himself he is different from the other criminals.

There mounds of stories of how Bruce being fucked up and never trusting anyone gets people killed. Shit if he got hit with the Penance Stare he would explode, there is a lake of innocence blood on Bruce's hands

I mean the battle for the cowl he basically admitted "I kinda fucking broke Jason long before the Joker did I just ignored it and let this happen because I couldn't abandon the mission".

Though the whole "Jason is crazy he isn't crazy he's just damaged nope sorry he's crazy again" thing before and after new 52 has kinda ruined his character.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like the sound of this a lot, I might pick this issue up just to see how it plays out. Reception sounds positive so far

Given how critical it has to be (and to be fair, it sounds like it is) about some pretty core parts of Batman though and how he Batmans I don't exactly expect it to have long running implications for the franchise

I like the sound of this a lot, I might pick this issue up just to see how it plays out. Reception sounds positive so far

Given how critical it has to be (and to be fair, it sounds like it is) about some pretty core parts of Batman though and how he Batmans I don't exactly expect it to have long running implications for the franchise

DC for all it's faults does get the right writers to do the topical issues and they usually are very well done. I don't expect this to be different.

Yeah, Batman just doesn't have a wife to trade off.

2874776-1385.gif

I mean the battle for the cowl he basically admitted "I kinda fucking broke Jason long before the Joker did I just ignored it and let this happen because I couldn't abandon the mission".

Though the whole "Jason is crazy he isn't crazy he's just damaged nope sorry he's crazy again" thing before and after new 52 has kinda ruined his character.

He's actually stabilized (sorta) in the New 52. At least, he has in basically everything I've read with him in it (which is a lot). Damaged, yeah, but no longer crazy.

OT: This was a really good issue. Very well handled. Of the 3 series I've read out of DC that took on the "police brutality" angle (this, Action Comics, and Green Arrow), the only one I'd say really screwed the pooch was Green Arrow, due to making it waaaaay too black and white, in addition to basically totally ignoring the stuff actual cops do.

Frog-fu

Banned
Batman is fucking crazy and paranoid and thsts what makes him interesting. Bruce Wayne is his costume, Batman is who he is.

His no-kill philosophy and the supervillain revolving door at Arkham gets tons of people killed. Every time he puts away the Joker, the Joker gets out and creates more orphans like Wayne. Beating up criminals doesn't really do much anyway. How can you even convict someone of a crime because they were found beat up and tied up at the scene?

Batman is a criminal and his no-kill rule is about convincing himself he is different from the other criminals.

Batman is a conservative's wet dream.

Not any more, apparently :p

Hopefully the offending officer doesn't turn out to be a Shadow Monster like in Superman.

They actually recovered from that pretty nicely. Yeah, that one guy was a (literal) monster; but the people who followed him blindly? The people who refused to hear one bad word against him, and insisted that the accusers must be the ones in the wrong? They were just... people. And that arguably makes what they did worse.

Slayven

No just an enless supply of kids
1417784_orig.jpg

03DeadStephanieBrown.jpg

25g7z9d.jpg

Want to play some more?
What in the Christ went down in here?
Thanos with the gauntlet was tryingi iy impress Death by granting her a soul of a hero and a child. Spiderman was like fuck that noises and Spider Talked no jutsu Thanos. Death was so impressed she made Thanos let spiderman go and resurrect the kid.

zeemumu

I doubt batman has ever been seen as a symbol of inspiration or justice. His method is beating up criminals, throwing them in jail, and acting like the problem is solved. That's not how the real world works.

I respect Batman because he sticks to his commitment to never kill no matter how evil the criminal is. That's what makes him a really interesting hero in my eyes.

Batman's killed a lot of people/let people die.

What about Talia?

number47

all of them the minute he let them suit up. He did Stephen especially dirty.

Batman built Brother Eye and cause the death of thousands.
And he let people suffer in No Mans Land
Spider Man got Black Giolath and Aunt May killed if you want to stretch then.

Slayven

Spider Man got Black Giolath and Aunt May killed if you want to stretch then.

I didn't stretch, dude funded and built a killer satellite because he was scared of people. He refused the help of the most powerful people in the world when the city he sworn to protect got hit by a natural disaster.

Oh and when the satellite went rogue, the satellite that was built and design to take down superhumans went rogue, he didn't tell nobody.

If Batman wasn't in Gotham the entire place would be covered in man eating plants, icebergs, and laughing fish.

No, it'd probably still be run by the falcone family.

And as Wayne he could help sort out the crime families with other methods. Might not be as fun a read as a crazy dude with a psychological need to have bad guys to beat up though.

number47

I didn't stretch, dude funded and built a killer satellite because he was scared of people. He refused the help of the most powerful people in the world when the city he sworn to protect got hit by a natural disaster.

Oh and when the satellite went rogue, the satellite that was built and design to take down superhumans went rogue, he didn't tell nobody.
No, I totally agree with that. You can't blame Batman for getting those kids killed.

And Batman is crazy. Does crazy things. Makes a list how to take down his allies. Always has kryptonite on him. Knows he can't date Wonder Woman. Batman's a bit insecure with decent enough reason.

akira28

well it would be a lot of trouble for the writers to keep a consistent social justice warrior bat. At some point he has to just go back to being smarter than Superman and kind of a brooding dick.

I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone care to elaborate about the meaning of that quote above me?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day
No one should be mad that I'm posting spoilers for this shitty story anyway, but I'll do it just in case.

The events of "One More Day" began in Amazing Spider-Man #544, where Peter Parker's Aunt May is shown slowly dying from a gunshot wound sustained during the events of Civil War and "Spider-Man: Back in Black". Peter is forced to ask Tony Stark for financial assistance, and then seeks counsel with Doctor Strange. The latter informs Peter that he can do nothing to grant Aunt May her life back. However, he helps Peter seek the aid of several others including Doctor Doom, the High Evolutionary, Reed Richards, and Doctor Octopus. Peter attempts to go back in time using a magic spell without Strange's approval, harming himself in the process. Strange heals his wounds and sends him on his way, encouraging him to be by his Aunt's side at her death.

On his way to the hospital, Peter is confronted by a little girl, who says she holds the answer to his problem. He talks to the little girl, who runs off. While pursuing her, Peter encounters a group of men; a woman in red informs him these are alternate versions of himself, from alternate timelines where he never became Spider-Man. The woman in red transforms into the demon Mephisto, who tells Peter he can save Aunt May. As payment, Mephisto wants not Peter's soul, but his marriage to Mary Jane. Peter and Mary Jane are given until midnight the following night to decide their answer and, after several hours agonizing over the choice, they agree to the deal, as long as knowledge of Peter's secret identity is erased from the world. Mary Jane also whispers to Mephisto another, unspecified offer in return for Mephisto putting Peter's life back exactly how it was and "[giving] him a chance at happiness." Finally, Mephisto reveals to the couple that his disguise as the little girl was in fact their future daughter, but she will never exist because of their decision. This future daughter is not to be confused with May "Mayday" Parker (Spider-Girl). May "Mayday" Parker is the baby that Peter Parker and Mary Jane had at the end of the Clone Saga from the 1990s and would grow up to be Spider-Girl if Norman Osborn never killed her.

Mephisto then changes history so that Peter and Mary Jane never married, and no one remembers whose face is underneath Spider-Man's mask. Peter wakes up alone in bed, once again living with Aunt May. He attends a party being held for his best friend Harry Osborn (previously thought to have died in Spectacular Spider-Man #200), who introduces Lilly Hollister and Carlie Cooper. Peter glimpses Mary Jane sadly leaving the party. The guests all toast to a "Brand New Day."

Having just reread that summary, I can confirm that it's still one of the worst things I've had the displeasure of reading in comics. The fact that things like Gwen banging Norman Osborn and this both happen to Peter as a result of editorial decisions makes me feel so sorry for the character. The stupidity of it all, just mind boggling.

Veelk

Banned
all of them the minute he let them suit up. He did Stephen especially dirty.

He manipulated Stephany the worst, but no, ultimately he can't be blamed for that. Maybe in our world, but he lives in a world where kids fighting crime and supervillains is an unremarked upon thing.

He's unlucky that this shit keeps happening to him, but he didn't tell the joker to beat Jason to death, or Talia to kill Damian, or whoever offed Steph (I don't know much about steph, sorry).

It's an extreme displacement of responsibility of the criminal. If you're going to do that, you might as well blame Batman for every crime that happens in Gotham.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was the best chapter of Batman in a while.

Can't wait until Robogordon is done, it hasn't been all that good.

akira28

Having just reread that summary, I can confirm that it's still one of the worst things I've had the displeasure of reading in comics. The fact that things like Gwen banging Norman Osborn and this both happen to Peter as a result of editorial decisions makes me feel so sorry for the character. The stupidity of it all, just mind boggling.

few comics get the honor of being transferred directly to my washroom wastepaper basket instead of a whitebox, but that was one of them. I didn't burn it and then toss it. I just tossed it. I can't remember the one where I just spit in it and threw it away before finishing it, but that has happened before too.

He manipulated Stephany the worst, but no, ultimately he can't be blamed for that. Maybe in our world, but he lives in a world where kids fighting crime and supervillains is an unremarked upon thing.

He's unlucky that this shit keeps happening to him, but he didn't tell the joker to beat Jason to death, or Talia to kill Damian, or whoever offed Steph (I don't know much about steph, sorry).

It's an extreme displacement of responsibility of the criminal. If you're going to do that, you might as well blame Batman for every crime that happens in Gotham.
Wait, Damian got killed by his mom? I'm out of the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom