• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

NEO0MJ

Egypt is not in the middle east tho. At least Ganondorf's connection to Pyramids and their temple in OOT scream egypt to me. But yeah...still nothing black except Ganondorf's skin here.

The funny thing about the pyramids is that they looked more like Aztec pyramids than the classic Egyptian pyramid. The temple in OOT also reminds me of the temples in Iraq and Jordan. Ganons tribe also (used to) have the crescent and star symbol.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Egypt is not in the middle east tho. At least Ganondorf's connection to Pyramids and their temple in OOT scream egypt to me. But yeah...still nothing black except Ganondorf's skin here.

Yes it is. Egypt is included in the very, very loose term "middle east"

Except Egypt is in Africa. It's literally northern Africa.

All the countries on the northern African coast (Maghreb) are often included actually.

Damn this thread has reached Off-Topic levels of racism. I am surprised and disgusted.

I see Jynx... Donkey Kong's family... Black Yoshi.. The mammy pokemon gym leader. Wow.

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

Serious question: Why is the black Yoshi offensive? I don't get any negative connotations associated with it myself.

KHlover

Banned
The funny thing about the pyramids is that they looked more like Aztec pyramids than the classic Egyptian pyramid. The temple in OOT also reminds me of the temples in Iraq and Jordan. Ganons tribe also (used to) have the crescent and star symbol.
The entrance of the temple reminds me of the temple (tomb?) of Tutanchamun.

SunTemple.jpg

editorialAxleOoTDungeonsSpiritTemple1.jpg

beril

I'm black so I mostly speak from that perspective but including the brown people from around the world, we make up much more than 5-10% of the gaming populace. Nintendo has been around for decades and not one notable minority main character? Really. And no, an Italian is not a minority.

Also I question that 50% figure when it comes to female console gamers. The study everyone pulls that number from includes cell phone and Facebook games. I'm not quite sure the audience for FarmVille and Candy Crush is the same as Far Cry and Assassins Creed. If we are using those metrics then my mom is also a gamer and literally the only games she plays are Candy Crush and Ms. Pac-Man.

I'm just going of straight population figures in the main markets.
According to wikipedia the black population in the US is ~12%, and ranging from 1-3% in most western european countries, and much less than 1% in japan. The female population is roughly 50% in all markets.

As for how big percentage of women play console games, I don't know, but there may be a cause and effect for not including more playable female characters as well.

I'm not saying they shouldn't improve on racial diversity, but for now gender equality
and LGBT representation
ought to be a higher priority

Rikkun

I love black Yoshi, please don't make it a racial thing. It's not a dinosaur, it's a reptile.

PS: Italian is not a minority but with the GAF spectacles he's the most racist you can get with an Italian.
He dreams of spaghetti and ravioli, he's fat, he has a moustache, he's white, he's a plumber, he talks in an odd way. The only thing he's not is a mafioso.
NINTENDO STOP TREATING US LIKE THAT

I'm just going of straight population figures in the main markets.
According to wikipedia the black population in the US is ~12%, and ranging from 1-3% in most western european countries, and much less than 1% in japan. The female population is roughly 50% in all markets.

As for how big percentage of women play console games, I don't know, but there may be a cause and effect for not including more playable female characters as well.

I'm not saying they shouldn't improve on racial diversity, but for now gender equality
and LGBT representation
ought to be a higher priority

That makes sense
but isnt the LGBT population like 3-4% ?

PD: An why do people keep saying "minorities", have we all teleported to the united states because we post on gaf?

Again, I must stress that this is solely my own head canon, and not in any way based on anything that the Metroid team ever said, but these are my reasons for thinking that Samus could be of Irish descent:

First Name: Samus is, as far as I know, not a real name. But it is awfully close to the male Irish name Seamus.

Last Name: Off the coast of Ireland are the Aran Islands. It's conceivable, therefore, that someone of Irish descent could have the surname Aran. This isn't the inspiration for her surname, though, at least according to Samus' character designer Hiroji Kiyotake who says he took the Aran from the "Arantes" in soccer legend Pele's full name.

Also, I'm probably pulling the significance of this right out of my ass, but in the Metroid mangas Samus' parents are named Rodney and Virginia. Pretty Irishy if you ask me.

its my own dumb head canon alright?!

You're probably aware of this, but Samus' appearance was based on Kim Basinger. According to Wikipedia, Basinger's heritage is English, German, French, Swedish, Scots-Irish, and possible Cherokee Native American. So...that complicates things.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that none of these countries exist on the planet K-2L.

maxcriden

You're probably aware of this, but Samus' appearance was based on Kim Basinger. According to Wikipedia, Basinger's heritage is English, German, French, Swedish, Scots-Irish, and possible Cherokee Native American. So...that complicates things.

My wife's middle name is Aran, and her heritage is similar to that described above. So I think she might be really good at fighting Space Pirates!

Golnei

Maybe it's because sexuality isn't something that is a focus in many games?

Just because sexuality or even romance isn't always in focus, doesn't mean heteronormative templates aren't attached to so many of the narratives games use. Even the women-as-reward thing for straight male protagonists is as common as ever. Just making leads or major characters non-heterosexual; or shifting around the genders in the standard narratives would be better than the current status quo.

FluxWaveZ

Just because sexuality or even romance isn't always in focus, doesn't mean heteronormative templates aren't attached to so many of the narratives games use. Even the women-as-reward thing for straight male protagonists is as common as ever. Just making leads or major characters non-heterosexual; or shifting around the genders in the standard narratives would be better than the current status quo.

Of course more diversity would be nice, but I'm saying that that's a possibility for why there are not more of them, especially in Nintendo games. Just like this topic evidently shows, it's not like black characters or characters of any minority, really, are better represented in Nintendo games.

Favorite character is Jade. I also like James Heller, Rochelle, Sheva, and Coach

All those memorable Nintendo characters

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member

Was this suppose to make fun of black face or Ganguro? Considering the blond hair I would say Ganguro but not sure.

Favorite character is Jade. I also like James Heller, Rochelle, Sheva, and Coach

Edit: sorry saw this was for Nintendo characters after I posted.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I know exactly what your intention was when you created this thread.

And I´m glad it didn´t pan out like you wanted it to.
Edit:
I started this thread as a thread to make people think.

Instead it looks like most people missed the point (not all) or just made racist jokes.

Edit: Did you want to make people think when you´ve posted the thread about a father lying to his 9 year old son back when the whoole Tomodachi life incident happened too ?

And there was this other comment about things from the SNES, and an early DS game somehow prooving that Nintendo isn´t progressive enough when it comes to the equality of men and women...or something.

You seem to have some personal problems with them .

Someone gets banned for posting the Donkey Kong crew, but others who posted characters like Candy Kong, Jynx, and Wham Bam Rock don't?

K.

K-2L is an Earth colony after all, so people from all over the planet would have migrated there. But point taken nonetheless...I knew I wasn't doing myself any favors by bringing up such tenuous connections such as Rodney and Virginia (Irish-sounding, but not actually Irish AFAIK).

As an aside, did Samus ever really look like Kim Basinger? Some of the earliest detailed art of her outside of the suit are in the NP comics by Benimaru Itoh, and even there I don't think she looks like her. Maybe its just because I don't find Basinger that attractive that I'm surprised they based Samus' looks off of her.

My wife's middle name is Aran, and her heritage is similar to that described above. So I think she might be really good at fighting Space Pirates!

She has similar heritage to Kim Basinger and her middle name is Aran? That's just weird! o_O

Admit it, you married her because of her middle name!

Kade

I want to know this too because it sure backfired into a topic that shows positive characters that Nintendo has made (with a few trolls).

It was. Either as a vehicle to post black Yoshi and Mr. Game & Watch or as an attempt to highlight Nintendo's "lack of diversity".

gngf123

This thread is disappointing to read.

Anyway, there are quite a lot of black Pokemon trainers. I see people have already mentioned Marshal and Iris, so that's good.

NeonZ

http://i.imgur.com/rfMdtqC.jpg

Why do they have pointy noses and European names? Is Link Japanese? I always thought he was white? Is Peach asian? What about Daisy and Rosalina?

What about the European names though? Sony had Brave Fencer Musashi who was clearly Japanese when compared to Link. When you say anime styled characters the first Nintendo anime styled character that pops into minds is Link.

Well, there's that small thing called Pokemon. Most human characters up to Diamond & Pearl were intended to be Japanese. They even darkened Ash/Satoshi's skin when the anime moved to the regions outside of Japan, based on New York and France.

Also, that picture might have a point about Death Note's character design, but I'm not sure about Naruto. The Naruto picture there seems to be fanart, and the facial proportions just don't match the real one.

Naruto_01_zpsae20c6df.png

You won.

As an aside, did Samus ever really look like Kim Basinger? Some of the earliest detailed art of her outside of the suit are in the NP comics by Benimaru Itoh, and even there I don't think she looks like her. Maybe its just because I don't find Basinger that attractive that I'm surprised they based Samus' looks off of her.

Well that's what I've always loved about Samus. I don't imagine her attractiveness or lack thereof to be at the forefront of her characterisation, which is why I hate the visual direction they've taken with Zero Suit Samus. At the same time, I envisage her as a European-looking warrior in the vein of Ripley, which is why I feel Basinger's unique looks are a perfect fit- slightly "masculine" while at the same time very pretty. I can see it in the Itoh art, personally. These shots show the resemblance all the way up to Prime 1, before Fusion took her in a more anime direction:

maxcriden

She has similar heritage to Kim Basinger and her middle name is Aran? That's just weird! o_O

Admit it, you married her because of her middle name!

I definitely took it as a good sign, but luckily there are a plethora of other reasons I love her!

I really did. (BTW, I think we've discussed this before but I totally agree that the over-sexualization and generic Westernization of Samus seems like a silly and unnecessary place to take the character.)

This thread may or may not be a graveyard by tomorrow morning...

This is such bullshit. You posted Black Yoshi and Game & Watch as two examples in the OP. That's supposed to make people think?

Not to mention your history with concern trolling topics.

I know exactly what your intention was when you created this thread.

And I´m glad it didn´t pan out like you wanted it to.

Edit: Did you want to make people think when you´ve posted the thread about a father lying to his 9 year old son back when the whoole Tomodachi life incident happened too ?

And there was this other comment about things from the SNES, and an early DS game somehow prooving that Nintendo isn´t progressive enough when it comes to the equality of men and women...or something.

You seem to have some personal problems with them .

With all the terrible threads OP has made that have gotten locked, you'd think he'd be junior'd by now.

If I really have to explain it to you, you are missing the point. But here goes.

Nintendo has real problems having black characters in their games. As many people have pointed out the majority of the ones they do have play off racist stereotypes "mammy", big lips, etc. I posted Yoshi and Game and Watch because they were honestly the only physically black characters I could think of, in a way to illustrate the lack of playable black characters in Nintendo games, not to insight trolls to make racist jokes or to post characters who are just the color black.

And if anyone honestly thinks I'm "concern trolling" feel free to discuss it with me. I'm not a troll, and my topics are typically locked because of other posters causing problems. Do I bring up controversial topics about representation in games? You betcha. Am I an openly bisexual poly practicing guy with a beard who licks controllers? You betcha. Do I own 3DS, Wii U and every Nintendo console released (other than virtual boy)? You betcha. I love Nintendo, I love video games, which is why I have to point out problematic trends and things in them, because it can only make them better.

It is refreshing to admit that something you like is in no way shape or form perfect while being able to still enjoy it, something it seems a lot of people online have a problem doing, they would rather cover their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they don't hear any of the criticisms or believe the truths in them.

Lizardus

If I really have to explain it to you, you are missing the point. But here goes.

Nintendo has real problems having black characters in their games. As many people have pointed out the majority of the ones they do have play off racist stereotypes "mammy", big lips, etc. I posted Yoshi and Game and Watch because they were honestly the only physically black characters I could think of, in a way to illustrate the lack of playable black characters in Nintendo games, not to insight trolls to make racist jokes or to post characters who are just the color black.

And if anyone honestly thinks I'm "concern trolling" feel free to discuss it with me. I'm not a troll. Do I bring up controversial topics about representation in games? You betcha. Am I an openly bisexual poly practicing guy with a beard who licks controllers? You betcha. Do I own 3DS, Wii U and every Nintendo console released (other than virtual boy)? You betcha. I love Nintendo, I love video games, which is why I have to point out problematic trends and things in them, because it can only make them better.

It is refreshing to admit that something you like is in no way shape or form perfect while being able to still enjoy it, something it seems a lot of people online have a problem doing, they would rather cover their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they don't hear any of the criticisms or believe the truths in them.

Bolded seems contradictory.

Top Bottom