• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

SuomiDude

Can someone tell me what was wrong with the black Yoshi stuff? I saw some people quote that pic with a head shaking reply, so what's the deal? The DK stuff I understand of course, but Yoshi? Why not Bullet Bill and all those characters as well?

DC R1D3R

Banned
jmnp.jpg

Well, someone was going to do it.

I used to take great offence in seeing pics like this, but now, pure admiration.

Beautiful full lips that most caucasoid women would shoot their husbands for.

And dat GOLD!

LOL

Can someone tell me what was wrong with the black Yoshi stuff? I saw some people quote that pic with a head shaking reply, so what's the deal? The DK stuff I understand of course, but Yoshi? Why not Bullet Bill and all those characters as well?
If someone was asking about depictions of black people, I'm sure you could appreciate why posting any creature that happened to be of a black color in response could be seen as questionable.

Race is such a complicated subject. Who is black and who isn't, and things like that.

The words like black, white, and Asian, aren't really very good.

SystemUser

Anime characters might usually be Asian, but most of them are not designed with typically Asian facial features.

What about the European names though? Sony had Brave Fencer Musashi who was clearly Japanese when compared to Link. When you say anime styled characters the first Nintendo anime styled character that pops into minds is Link.

I thought that Nintendo decided to make all white characters after the success of their Italian plumber. Until this thread I had no idea that any Nintendo characters were Japanese. Are they all Japanese other than Mario?

What about the European names though? Sony had Brave Fencer Musashi who was clearly Japanese when compared to Link. When you say anime styled characters the first Nintendo anime styled character that pops into minds is Link.

I thought that Nintendo decided to make all white characters after the success of their Italian plumber. Until this thread I had no idea that any Nintendo characters were Japanese. Are they all Japanese other than Mario?

Certainly not Samus. Nintendo makes no claims about Samus' heritage, but in my headcanon there's reason to believe she's of Irish heritage.

Golnei

Anthony might have turned out to be the only decent character in Other M; but his concept art is ...this. Though it is possible for Japanese developers to get this right - compare it with say, Kevin's concept art from Metal Gear Rising, which looks like an actual person and not a racist caricature.

Anthony might have turned out to be the only decent character in Other M; but his concept art is ...this. Though it is possible for Japanese developers to get this right - compare it with say, Kevin's concept art from Metal Gear Rising, which looks like an actual person and not a racist caricature.

I got end of paged'd so I'll post it again;
Dion Blaster, looks like a normal guy, is also english as opposed to generic urban american "sheeeeit" black dude and a main selectable character.

beril

Very eye opening to see that Nintendo gets so much praise in the gender diversity thread bashing Ubisoft but when it's pointed out that Ubisoft and numerous other developers actually have African American major characters and leads (along with other minorities) and we ask about Nintendo's effort on this front it's either outright ignored or dismissed as a joke.

Guess gender equality is the only thing that matters now.

Honestly yes it is more important to get gender equality.

Black people are only around 5-10% of the demographics overall in the main markets for console games, while women are 50%. Both groups needs more representation, but I'd say it's a bigger priority when 50% are being excluded than the 5%.

Also many of Nintendos biggest characters aren't human. so race isn't really relevant, but they still have clear gender identities

2442714-1911574311-remem.gif

The only thing that wasn't completely terrible in Other M.
Yes, because Nintendo characters are totally anime-styled lol

o_O

Again, I must stress that this is solely my own head canon, and not in any way based on anything that the Metroid team ever said, but these are my reasons for thinking that Samus could be of Irish descent:

First Name: Samus is, as far as I know, not a real name. But it is awfully close to the male Irish name Seamus.

Last Name: Off the coast of Ireland are the Aran Islands. It's conceivable, therefore, that someone of Irish descent could have the surname Aran. This isn't the inspiration for her surname, though, at least according to Samus' character designer Hiroji Kiyotake who says he took the Aran from the "Arantes" in soccer legend Pele's full name.

Also, I'm probably pulling the significance of this right out of my ass, but in the Metroid mangas Samus' parents are named Rodney and Virginia. Pretty Irishy if you ask me.

its my own dumb head canon alright?!

Kangi

jmnp.jpg

Well, someone was going to do it.

Trivia: Wham Bam Rock's moveset laid the groundwork for Master Hand and Crazy Hand from Super Smash Bros.

In Kirby Super Star Ultra, his appearance was remade to this:
WhambamrockKSSU.png

...And then they added Wham Bam Jewel, who looks like this:
WhambamjewelKSSU.png

Couldn't just leave that horrible thing behind, apparently.

mclem

If someone was asking about depictions of black people, I'm sure you could appreciate why posting any creature that happened to be of a black color in response could be seen as questionable.

The OP wasn't, though. Quite explicitly, given the examples given in the post.

ffdgh

This thread went...places lol.

Nick Fury Basilio and Flavia from fire emblem awakening.

Also Reggie because he's Reggie.

tkscz

Lol and women complain about their representation or lack of representation in games.

Meh, I don't care whether I'm represented in a game made by Japanese people or not. It's not like there are a ton of black people in Japan and Nintendo games tend to have Japan's interest in mind before the rest of the world's.

Ganondorf from Wind Waker. Does that count as black? I honestly don't know.

Ehh... Ganondorf and the Gerudo thieves are more Middle-Eastern than Black.

KHlover

Banned
Meh, I don't care whether I'm represented in a game made by Japanese people or not. It's not like there are a ton of black people in Japan and Nintendo games tend to have Japan's interest in mind before the rest of the world's.

Egypt is not in the middle east tho. At least Ganondorf's connection to Pyramids and their temple in OOT scream egypt to me. But yeah...still nothing black except Ganondorf's skin here.

Actually, aren't most of Nintendo's main characters predominantly white though? Samus, Link, Zelda, Princess Peach, Mario(Italian), Luigi, Little Mac, Kid Icarus, Captain Falcon, Princess Daisy, Rosalina to name a few. I guess I reason I mention that is because I cannot really think of any asian protagonists in Nintendo games which I think is slightly strange unless they think they might not appeal to Japanese gamers.

Pirabear

Banned
Still baffled at no skin color option in Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem Awakening (a game/series which features dark skinned characters).

Honestly yes it is more important to get gender equality.

Black people are only around 5-10% of the demographics overall in the main markets for console games, while women are 50%. Both groups needs more representation, but I'd say it's a bigger priority when 50% are being excluded than the 5%.

Also many of Nintendos biggest characters aren't human. so race isn't really relevant, but they still have clear gender identities

I'm black so I mostly speak from that perspective but including the brown people from around the world, we make up much more than 5-10% of the gaming populace. Nintendo has been around for decades and not one notable minority main character? Really. And no, an Italian is not a minority.

Also I question that 50% figure when it comes to female console gamers. The study everyone pulls that number from includes cell phone and Facebook games. I'm not quite sure the audience for FarmVille and Candy Crush is the same as Far Cry and Assassins Creed. If we are using those metrics then my mom is also a gamer and literally the only games she plays are Candy Crush and Ms. Pac-Man.

Still baffled at no skin color option in Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem Awakening (a game/series which features dark skinned characters).

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2014/03/25/3418600/video-game-makes-you-racist/

Read that article, and I think this is what Nintendo is trying to avoid. Just like they aren't embracing VOIP with their games with netplay. I'm not condoning it but a possible reason. Nintendo is a very safe company, way too safe than necessary and it's sad considering the amount of Black fans and sales that there's such a lack of good black characters. I wish demographic information in this industry was released to the public and people need to start being more demanding about real diversity. Can't knock people who just want to belong.

Top Bottom