• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

Very eye opening to see that Nintendo gets so much praise in the gender diversity thread bashing Ubisoft but when it's pointed out that Ubisoft and numerous other developers actually have African American major characters and leads (along with other minorities) and we ask about Nintendo's effort on this front it's either outright ignored or dismissed as a joke.

Guess gender equality is the only thing that matters now.

Authority

Banned
The_kongs.jpg

tumblr_mq2691nImE1sps3f8o1_500.gif

This thread reminds me of that one article about impossible to have women in games thing that has a thread about it a few while back.

Try-hard, trying to be witty and funny, but failing at doing so.

Regardless, my answer would be the Basillio and Flavia from FE Awakening. And Ganondorf, of course.

I find this one off the most offensive characters designed ever. It seems that in Japanese games/anime black peoples features are heavily exaggerated to the point of being insulting

150px-124Jynx_OS_anime.png

"The character Jynx, Pokémon #124, has decidedly human features [in contrast to most other characters]: jet-black skin, huge pink lips, gaping eyes, a straight blonde mane and a full figure, complete with cleavage and wiggly hips. Put another way, Jynx resembles an overweight drag queen incarnation of Little Black Sambo, a racist stereotype from a children's book long ago purged from libraries" Carol Weatherford
"In response to the controversy, Jynx's in-game sprites were given a purple skin color in the American versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver, released in late 2000. By 2002, Nintendo officially redesigned Jynx, changing her skin color from black to purple; this change was not reflected in the animated series until Shogakukan (the company that produces the Pokémon anime) changed the color of Jynx's face to purple in 2005"

black1.jpg

images

Not only Nintendo is guilty of this.

devonodev

I would say this thread derailed quickly, but I don't think there were any rails to begin with.
Dark Link is a black color, so I'm going with him. He always has such epic fights.

botty

Banned
Damn this thread has reached Off-Topic levels of racism. I am surprised and disgusted.

I see Jynx... Donkey Kong's family... Black Yoshi.. The mammy pokemon gym leader. Wow.

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

If you mean "Black" as in "belonging to an ethnic group from Sub-Saharan Africa" than it would have to be Doc Louis from Punch-Out since he's pretty likeable (and I hardly play video games set in the "real world" more or less, so there usually isn't an "Africa" for people to be from)

If you mean "Black" to mean people with darker skin tones I would probably have to go with the mechanic from Skyward Sword (I always looked forward to visiting him, his attitude just put a smile on my face) Basileo (spelling?) from Fire Emblem Awakening was also pretty cool

I actually hate Twilight Princess Ganondorf since the Gerudo are brown and seem to be based off of the Middle East inspiration-wise, but then in TP they decide "Oh Ganon needs to look evil so.... just make his skin a ton darker!" If Ganondorf getting demon-powers changes his skin color to be black instead of brown... uh the terrible things you could read into it.

Pokemon has gotten really good at putting lots of diversity in its games.

I thought it might have been something they would just do with Unova since it was based on America. But Kalos has a lot of black or brown people, too.

I took a trip to France and there is actually a lot more Africans than you would think. Currently there is a lot of immigration from France's former African colonies (mostly because they already speak French because of past imperialism and France is having problems with declining birth rates and is encouraging it)

I took a trip to France and there is actually a lot more Africans than you would think.
Oh, I do think that there are plenty of black people in France and other places in Europe. If I'm not mistaken Western Europe has had a lot of black people immigrating.

But I feel like maybe the stereotype of America is the whole "melting pot" thing. It's not really that true, there are plenty of places just as diverse as the United States. But I thought that Game Freak might put a lot of stereotypical characters in Kalos because it was based on France. I know that a lot of anime do that.

But I'm really glad that Game Freak showed France for being as diverse as it is.

I actually hate Twilight Princess Ganondorf since the Gerudo are brown and seem to be based off of the Middle East inspiration-wise, but then in TP they decide "Oh Ganon needs to look evil so.... just make his skin a ton darker!" If Ganondorf getting demon-powers changes his skin color to be black instead of brown... uh the terrible things you could read into it.
Ganondorf's skin in TP is dark grey. To make him look more evil they chose an inhuman skin color. I don't see how you can read anything into that.

Top Bottom