• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
2442714-1911574311-remem.gif

Remember me? You got no style!

I like making people think. I LOVE video games, I also LOVE to criticize them, but only because I LOVE them and only want the best for them.

image.php

You also LOVE that black controller it seems. Felt like a shade of Jerry Maguire's "I'm Mr. Black People."

Above is a joke meant totally in jest.

Trike

Well, there is that guy from that STEAM game. If you count games where you play as a Mii, then Nintendo probably has every other company beat.

Nachos

I find that hard to believe. I see many Japanese commercials that have at least one black guy. I see more black guys in commercials from there than white guys even. That being said, I haven't watched a whole lot of Japanese commercials.

Japan is made up of about 4% immigrants. Black people are going to a smaller piece of that. Needless to say, they're a very homogeneous society.

old

Reggie. One of my favorite people in the industry. He should be in Smash Bros. Him and Miyamoto.

Toxi

Banned
ELMA X
9LHgrVr.jpg

Nintendo is trying, even if this is the same Japan meme of Black human with white hair we see in anime and manga

I can't find the Rihanna video but you can be black in Xenoblade. That is a good start for me
If there's an uncanny valley, this image just plunged into it.

Key words being "Avatar Make". You can make your own character however you like, including various skin color options.

So technically if this counts so does Wii Sports.

Just trying to cut them some slack for never having a main character of color :)

Don't you think the Mii would be used as an excuse if you asked Nintendo during a live interview on a major news network? They would spin it exactly the same way.

Animal Crossing New Leaf. I had to TAN my skin for HOURS so it is an issue

Faustek

From the Shantae ks.

We're not intending to change her ethnicity (she's actually not human, but a genie!). She has had a different skin tone in each product, for no deliberate reason. It's been left up to artist discretion. The design for this new game is still in flux, and our 4th update (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/591721) has our most recent character model for Shantae in it.

That plus the "Lighting engine" answer felt like a cop out. She, genie or not, have been getting lighter and lighter with each new iteration.

And FE, nope. All them kids..the kids are all Caucasian no matter. :/

This thread:

Even if it was made to illustrate the problems.. Yeah I'm just beat. I'll gather enough strength one day and post a few statistics from a Video game coding school.

Psst, only 3 mcs where non white dudes in their 20s. In 3 classes of ~24 each.

From the Shantae ks.

That plus the "Lighting engine" answer felt like a cop out. She, genie or not, have been getting lighter and lighter with each new iteration.

And FE, nope. All them kids..the kids are all Caucasian no matter. :/

This thread:

Even if it was made to illustrate the problems.. Yeah I'm just beat. I'll gather enough strength one day and post a few statistics from a Video game coding school.

Psst, only 3 mcs where non white dudes in their 20s. In 3 classes of ~24 each.

pretty much the same cop out for Wonder Black I think publishers are afraid to just do it
does it hurt sales or something?

I only got this game for one reason
JN9jnxk.jpg

Toxi

Banned
but it is targeting a stylized look, its the opposite of uncanny valley
I don't know. She's got this sort of creepy doll-like look where her skin is shaded somewhat like a person's but not quite there. Her eyes are obviously huge and stylized, but her nose looks like a normal nose squished down in size and her lips look way too normal to be under those eyes.

braves01

Banned
I don't know. She's got this sort of creepy doll-like look where her skin is shaded somewhat like a person's but not quite there. Her eyes are obviously huge and stylized, but her nose looks like a normal nose squished down in size and her lips look way too normal to be under those eyes.

Maybe they are dolls 8.O

Top Bottom