• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who at Xbox is responsible for this?

No. It’s a universal message. In a space where people do treat each other like shit. It’s not pushing a political agenda to say treat others well. It’s a human message. It’s as if you are trained to think positive message are a woke agenda lol. Like you won’t go from “treat others well “ to “ free health care for all” via Xbox messaging. Don’t worry.
Treating others "well" is not the same as treating others as they want to be treated.

Reallink

It's a weird take on the golden rule.

Because it's very explicitly and very intentionally NOT the "golden rule", it's the new woke "platinum rule". The golden rule is to equality as the platinum rule is to equity. These are not synonyms of each other, they mean very different things.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No. It’s a universal message. In a space where people do treat each other like shit. It’s not pushing a political agenda to say treat others well. It’s a human message. It’s as if you are trained to think positive message are a woke agenda lol. Like you won’t go from “treat others well “ to “ free health care for all” via Xbox messaging. Don’t worry.
It’s a console not a twitter account. It should play games. This is MS brand shaping / marketing.
Has no business being on the UI of a payed service.

Doom85

Xbox gamer: Shit, this year has been so barren of titles for our system. What can I do to fill the void of this agonizing existence?! I could make a thread on Gaf complaining about something trivial, but where could I possibly find something like that on such short notice?
(spots a positive message that DARED to not be worded exactly to their personal values)
Xbox gamer:
Cbc Yes GIF by Kim's Convenience

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Xbox gamer: Shit, this year has been so barren of titles for our system. What can I do to fill the void of this agonizing existence?! I could make a thread on Gaf complaining about something trivial, but where could I possibly find something like that on such short notice?
(spots a positive message that DARED to not be worded exactly to their personal values)
Xbox gamer:
Cbc Yes GIF by Kim's Convenience's Convenience

What a great addition to the discourse. Amazing, 10/10. Thanks.

Doom85

What a great addition to the discourse. Amazing, 10/10. Thanks.

I apologize that I DARED to suggest OP and others might possibly be just SLIGHTLY overreacting to this shit. OP should have clarified this was to be an echo chamber thread in the first post.

Weird take. Not sure why you’re raging about companies asking people to play nicely together. I’ve run into no end of cunts online, be nice to play with normal everyday people once in a while.

Chukhopops

Because we are playing vidya. It has no bearing on the real world. Shit talk and all that. It’s part of the fun. Go back to the old 360 days, remember the messages and shit talking in game chat. I hate nu-MS so much it’s unreal.
Well I remember the 360 days and muting people like that every once in a while. But I was playing mostly with French so it was overall great.

Imagine going to a psychologist and saying you find the sentence « treat others as they want to be treated » unacceptable. I’m glad the world is slowly moving past that.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I thought that treating others normally is a normal thing. Did not know that Xbox has to tell me to treat others like the want me to treat them. Anyway.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I sometimes wonder how some people manage when absofuckingloutely everything upsets them.

It’s very alienating to be talked down and told how to behave by an essentially amoral entity hellbent on the extraction of profit from capital by all means necessary and at whatever costs that are acceptable to the expected profit just so they can use the fact that they talk you down to improve their public image and thus increase their already mind bending capability to twist and alter society even further.

And hey i fundamentally agree with the message. Treating others with respect is cool.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don’t want my mom giving me life lessons every time i play video games.

We are adults. We don’t need to be talked down to like We are kids.

I guess we now have an answer to OP's question as to who is responsible.. SlimySnake SlimySnake mom..

In all seriousness I get your point and it's a slippery slope but nothing new when it comes to brands trying to project stuff like this to their consumer base for brownie points. And unless you want to start a petition or boycot Xbox there's not much to do about it I guess..

I'd like to be optimistic when interpreting this kind of stuff but in reality it's just there for optics.

mdkirby

Not that I don’t think this is pretty dumb (tho I’m tangentially aware that discourse in online games can be pretty awful, which I assume this alludes to).

But I really don’t get how a message of “don’t be a fucking dick to people” is somehow considered “social justice nonsense”

Umbasaborne

Banned
Are they the same people who tell me its rude to ram others off the road in forza so i can use their cars to more easily turn? pfft, bunch of babies

poodaddy

This is probably the least offensive thing I've ever seen. Jesus you guys are bothered by the most innocuous shit.

Hey OP.....be nice to people.

"This is BULLSHIT!!! Why should I have to see that?!?!"

Seriously man? Can't imagine how pissed off you are when driving by schools and churches and seeing positive affirmations on the signs out front. Must really pucker up the ole starfish.

Last edited:
I really don't see the problem? Does this really outrage people? I bet the same people outraged by this also call other people snowflakes 😆

Frankly I used to love online gaming on the OG Xbox live but now most of the time it's kids hurling random abuse.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
klPK5KF.jpg

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.

Does PlayStation do this too? I know Nintendo and Steam don’t. Feels like every time I fire up my Xbox they’re promoting some cringe social justice message, like a few weeks ago when it was all about Pacific Islanders. Seriously, try googling Pacific Islander + Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo and see how different the results are. 😂

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
What a terrible message for Xbox to share, they are clearly out of touch. Should be taking more feedback from loving souls like yourself.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t think reminding people to not be a dickhead towards others online is a social justice anything.

Online gaming is by and large a cesspool of trash. Not that their message will result in anything positive. Douchebags are still going to act like douchebags.

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
klPK5KF.jpg

Fired up my Xbox and was appalled to see this nonsense taking up space on my dashboard. I guess we can add this to the pile of things that make modern Xbox cringe and out of touch.

Does PlayStation do this too? I know Nintendo and Steam don’t. Feels like every time I fire up my Xbox they’re promoting some cringe social justice message, like a few weeks ago when it was all about Pacific Islanders. Seriously, try googling Pacific Islander + Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo and see how different the results are. 😂

Boy do I miss the 360 era. Remember when Xbox hired people that understood and cared about gaming? Those were the days.
How old are you? Being triggered for so small things

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well I remember the 360 days and muting people like that every once in a while. But I was playing mostly with French so it was overall great.

Imagine going to a psychologist and saying you find the sentence « treat others as they want to be treated » unacceptable. I’m glad the world is slowly moving past that.
Well I would like to be treated to fun games with lively voice chat and lots of shit talking, but I can’t get that.

I see a lot of people insulting OP and others for expressing their dislike of their Xbox being used as a social engineering platform instead of a gaming device. They do this despite defending the strange "treat others as they want to be treated" messaging that they clearly aren't willing to practice themselves. I guess for those people Neogaf just isn't a place where you respect others. Maybe they need to be reminded by a huge corporation before they do?

DaGwaphics

I thought that treating others normally is a normal thing. Did not know that Xbox has to tell me to treat others like the want me to treat them. Anyway.

Just read the OP and several of the posts in the thread for your answer on that one. Looks like we might still have a ways to go yet. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

light2x

Do you seriously spend this much time in the dashboard? My dashboard literally gets no usage. I turn my Xbox on and get into a game.

You people have too much time. Go get a job or something.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
"treat others as they want to be treated"

how can you seriously be pissed off at that? be kind to others. don't judge them. have empathy and respect. but hey that's just what i think. unless they are being an asshole then let people be themselves. don't get worked up over it.
It's patronizing and unnecessary. Was anyone really going to call someone a dickbag in CoD only to stop dead in their tracks thinking back to this PSA? It's fucking pointless virtue signaling from a multibillion-dollar corporation. Stop treating adults like children.

DaGwaphics

I see a lot of people insulting OP and others for expressing their dislike of their Xbox being used as a social engineering platform instead of a gaming device. They do this despite defending the strange "treat others as they want to be treated" messaging that they clearly aren't willing to practice themselves. I guess for those people Neogaf just isn't a place where you respect others. Maybe they need to be reminded by a huge corporation before they do?

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. The platinum rule thing is just trying to encourage users to be considerate of other players when first interacting with them online, to be mindful of how others expect to be treated when playing (with those players hopefully returning that same courtesy to you). That's hardly social engineering. They aren't even specifically trying to alter or eliminate any specific behavior there, just trying to create a situation where users can find like minded players to play with.

This is a business thing for them. Traditionally online play has leaned towards the fowl mouthed trash talking, a lot of players like that and have no problem with it, thus no harm done there. But as gaming looks to expand its player base these companies would like to attract every possible user they can, and that includes demographics that aren't as traditional and those individuals that might be more conservative or otherwise buttoned up in nature. I can see where the online gaming space might be hard to jump into for those folks if everyone is acting like a middle schooler on there.

A bit of mindfulness isn't going to hurt anyone, those that like to trash talk will have plenty of like minded people to play with as will the less aggressive crowd. It's just a matter of trying to establish behaviors that allow players to find their tribe and game in the way they want to. That can be very difficult if the default behavior is everyone is an ass to everyone from the second they meet.

akimbo009

Gold Member
It's patronizing and unnecessary. Was anyone really going to call someone a dickbag in CoD only to stop dead in their tracks thinking back to this PSA? It's fucking pointless virtue signaling from a multibillion-dollar corporation. Stop treating adults like children.

I'll say it again, consoles are toys and for children.

anothertech

"Being miserable and treating others like dirt is every new yorkers God given right."

"Yes sir, it's true. This man has no dick"

Man.... you must be enraged when you see:

Drink responsibly adverts
Gamble responsibly adverts
Wear protection messaging from health clinics
Dont drink drive adverts

I can imagine you going paintballing and getting angry with the manager for them having "wear helmets and goggles" posters plastered everywhere.

Last edited:

John_Ryder

Because it's very explicitly and very intentionally NOT the "golden rule", it's the new woke "platinum rule". The golden rule is to equality as the platinum rule is to equity. These are not synonyms of each other, they mean very different things.
First time hearing about this platinum rule and holy shit. It's how karens, they/them people, era users and other dregs want to be treated in a society. A dangerously selfish mentality.

Not that I don’t think this is pretty dumb (tho I’m tangentially aware that discourse in online games can be pretty awful, which I assume this alludes to).

But I really don’t get how a message of “don’t be a fucking dick to people” is somehow considered “social justice nonsense”
It's not.

But you're on a forum that thinks everything is woke to the point the word has lost its meaning.

poodaddy

Calling a random stranger on the internet a dickbag over a virtual game played on an overpriced plastic gizmo is, you guessed it, childish. Adults playing with their toys online behaving like children will probably continue to be treated like children. Weird, I know.

mdkirby

It's not.

But you're on a forum that thinks everything is woke to the point the word has lost its meaning.
Haha this is true…that said, the other place is so oppressively and offensively woke that it’s borderline prejudice/discrimination.

Gaf seems much more normal and accepting of a more grounded and diverse cross section of society by comparison. Even if it does result in some level of silliness or toxicity resulting usually from the bizarre culture wars in the US. The mods do a decent job tho of not letting anything get too out of hand.

Kvally

Banned
I wish I could get rid of the Explore tab (or at the very least make it so I can move it so it's not default) on my PS5. It's always an entire TV screen of ads. I have not seen this social ad on my Xbox, but I wish ads were hide-able.

Top Bottom