• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who bought the Xbox 360 HD DVD attachment?

xbox360_hd-dvd_02.jpg

CD addons didn't die in the 90's, in 2006 Microsoft released the HD DVD Player for Xbox 360 for just $199. There's something I love about obsolete hardware, of course HD DVD would eventually and brutally lose to blu-ray but there's something quirky and lovable about this little box.

I love how it matches the original Xbox 360 model, in fact the 360 in it's launch state has such a god damn brilliant uniform. The console, the controller, the dashboard, the addons, even the remote control shared the design template.

I'm sad to say I no longer have a HD DVD player for 360 but I would love to pick one up on the cheap, I may rarely if ever use it but I think it's a really cool little box.

I bought it because I had just gotten an HDTV and it was pretty much the first time I had any kind of disposable income an adult.

Didn't regret it at all. We spent so much time watching Planet Earth on there when my kids were little.

Black Hat

Yep. I did.

Can remember the 'dynamic range compression' bug that wasn't fixed for months as well.

At the time I thought HD DVD would win the war for sure due to the name. Haha... seems silly now.

Phionoxx

I did. Also not sure where it is. Think I have it boxed up in Storage. Thankfully I didn't get much of a HD-DVD collection going prior to the format war ending up in favor of Blu Ray so it wasnt too painful swapping them out.

Sydle

I did because I just upgraded to a HD TV and it made sense at the time. I think I bought 5 movies (they were so expensive!), so it didn't get a lot of use, but it was impressive at the time.

BTails

Oh yeah, I still have mine. I had just bought an HDTV, and wanted that aweet HD content. Watched King Kong probably 6 times. I also bought a lot of HD DVDs, some of which are still my go to version of the movie (John Carpenter's The Thing looks WAY better on HD DVD vs the Bluray)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I briefly considered doing so but figured I'd wait for the "war" to "end". There was no sense in adopting a format that was potentially a non-starter... which it was.

OMG I totally forgot that was a thing.

I didn;t bought, in fact even them I was hoping for both formats to kill eachother in favor of digital stores.

Oh yeah, I still have mine. I had just bought an HDTV, and wanted that aweet HD content. Watched King Kong probably 6 times. I also bought a lot of HD DVDs, some of which are still my go to version of the movie (John Carpenter's The Thing looks WAY better on HD DVD vs the Bluray)

I'd love to know which movies look better on HD DVD and hunt them down.

boyshine

Bought it when HD-DVD was officially dead, and both the player and movies could be bought for nothing. I guess I have about 20 movies for it, watched them all. I remember liking the format more than Blu-ray then. Menues felt faster and smoother on HD-DVD and several movies looked better than the first Blu-ray releases.

Bought it when it was still a big deal, getting exclusives and such. Ended up buying a back up when the format failed for around $40.

I was invested in HD DVD, I bought the high end Toshiba HD DVD player that went for $100's of dollars, for around $150 when the format officially tanked. I watched it for a couple of days fluctuate in price on Amazon, then pulled the trigger when it dropped ridiculously low. It shot right back up within an hour, I was lucky. :)

I still own my players with over 100 movies that ranged from 99 cents to regular price when it was still a competing format. But I'd say 80% of my movies on the format were purchased at 50-99% off. A hell of a deal in my opinion.

The Argus

My freshman year roommate did for my 360. I think we only watched King Kong (included) on our 720p Samsung DLP. Waste of time and money.

DJ_Lae

I bought it filthy cheap (with King Kong, or did they all come bundled with that?) and used it mainly to rip HD-DVDs to my computer.

Unfortunately Fast Times and Phoebe Cates' boobs suffered disc rot.

Swass

I did, and had about a dozen HD DVD's. The second I heard Warner Bro's was dropping support for the format, I knew it was over.. through the whole lot on eBay and recouped almost all my money. I think it was only a month later that Toshiba announced it would stop making the players.

Stitch

Gold Member
I did. It was really cheap and came with like 10 HD-DVDs.
It was extremely loud so I cracked it open and removed the power cable from the Fan lol

Korgill

Got it and a lot of movies for less then $50. I still display the Blade Runner Collector's Edition and I really liked the 5 Harry Potter movie box set that was in a little trunk.

Meier

I did right at its launch. I didn't have a PS3 at the time so I bought about 15-20 movies too. Oh well.

ascii42

One of my roommates in college had one of those. It stopped working after a little while so he bought a standalone unit.

DJ_Lae

I have one.. loved the quality of HD DVD

Thankfully most were upgraded to BR for free haha

I don't know if it was specific to the format's specs or just because the movies were relatively early on in HD releases but all my HD-DVDs have far less invasive ads than Blu-rays. Most of my movies just go straight to the menu, if I remember correctly.

Or maybe they're almost all from the same studio. Dunno, but I liked it.

coolbrys

I really liked mine. For $200 I got like, 3 free movies at Best Buy, along with the 5 mail away ones. I felt that the menus were better and it had a slightly higher picture quality compared to Blu-Ray, but one of the formats had to lose. I lost the power brick to mine or I'd use it one last time to rip my movies. I need to find one of those....

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it so I could watch Blade Runner in HD with my 360. Grabbed a couple other movies too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I did, still have it, along with a couple dozen movies.

NZNova

I own three of them.

Picked them up super cheap, and got a massive collection of HD-DVD movies for $2 each. Thanks, Blu-Ray!

Top Bottom