• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who First Coined The Phrase "Metroidvania"??

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
The first time I ever heard the phrase was on an episode of Retronauts in 2007.

Just wondering who was the first person to coin that phrase?

Then why combine the words if they mean the same thing?

Castlevania games only shifted into the Metroid style structure with the release of symphony of the night (well there's also CV2 but it's not quite the same deal), you could say the use of Metroidvania is a way to distinguish that type of Castlevania game from those that play like more traditional action platformers.

Though the term Metroidvania becoming a genre phrase as opposed to just being a Metroid like game is likely down to the fact that the Metroid series went missing from 1995 to 2002 with only Castlevania really using its style of gameplay in the meantime.
No idea where it first spawned from though.

Pretty sure I had read/heard the term before 1up was formed. I do know that when SotN was released, some die-hard CV fans detested its new roaming structure and the advent of its RPG loot 'n leveling aspect, even dismissing it as another game entirely, which it basically is. Even then, people drew comparisons to Metroid and other 8-bit games which employ the same basic progression. The term must have come up before the turn of century.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sharkey has given us so much. He needs to be on some of the new Retronauts episodes.

atr0cious

Iit's gotta be from a magazine, because shortening "Metroid castlevania style" game, to metroidvania, is something a writer would do. In speech you can just say it and don't think about the effort.

Portugeezer

Desperate Castlevania fans trying to latch on to the greatness that is Metroid.

j/k Castlevania is pretty good too.

I've seen Metroidvania or Castleroid since at least 2002.

I think I first saw it when Harmony of Dissonance was getting revealed. Maybe on Gameforms or on the old GBA.IGN with Matt Bozon's brother, or something like that.

I've never really liked the term, given that half of it is from a game series with this as its most recognizable trait, and the other half is from a series that became this after eleven years of linear platforming, at a point when 2D games had already become a niche market, and didn't really stick with it afterward.

mattp

remember when metroidvania specifically meant a castlevania game with metroid-like progression? aka sotn and it's predecessors

i hate that it's used to describe pretty much any fucking 2d game with a persistent map and maybe backtracking occasionally

Honest question: Is there anything the term conveys that "Metroid" doesn't? It seems inherently redundant
That's my problem with it. Castlevania is the one that ripped off Metroid, why does it get billing in the term.

Plus the term really doesn't mean anything to anyone who hasn't played a Metroid or IGA developed Castlevania game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I seem to recall hearing it around the GBA era as well.

It seems to been popularized because, for a long time, only Metroid really epitomized that kind of game design. Then Castlevania joined in and went for it hardcore. But it was just those two games for years. As the most visible at least.

I think the word is fine as a tribute to a pair of series that defined conventions together. Modern games in that style liberally borrow from both Metroid and post-SOTN Castlevania titles.

injurai

Banned
Honest question: Is there anything the term conveys that "Metroid" doesn't? It seems inherently redundant, at least with hos its used now

I think it's just paying homage to two titles that achieve something similiar but in different ways. People don't necessarily want a Metroid-clone, or Castelvania-clone. But people certainly want Metroidvania-likes.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
TFrog tweeted back:

13428670174_07862f2bb5_b.jpg

Conezays

I've seen Metroidvania or Castleroid since at least 2002.

I think I first saw it when Harmony of Dissonance was getting revealed. Maybe on Gameforms or on the old GBA.IGN with Matt Bozon's brother, or something like that.

I'm surprised "Castleroid" hasn't caught on more, to be honest...

udivision

Honest question: Is there anything the term conveys that "Metroid" doesn't? It seems inherently redundant, at least with hos its used now

Metroidvania denotes a genre, and Metroid can denote either a genre or the actual franchise.

I guess?

There's a thread from here in 2005 with the term, so it has to go way back

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75549&highlight=metroidvania

Dang... so the word is at around a decade old?

Top Bottom