• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who First Coined The Phrase "Metroidvania"??

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was already a fairly common term by the time Circle of the Moon shipped for GBA.

Swordian

The term was coined specifically to describe SoTN. It was a quick way to explain how it was different from prior Castlevania games.

Honest question: Is there anything the term conveys that "Metroid" doesn't? It seems inherently redundant, at least with hos its used now

In a word? Grinding.

Symphony of the Night added "RPG elements" to the Super Metroid formula: it cleaved character progression from game progression, through the addition of experience points and loot.

Santiako

Citizen_kane_clapping.gif

Lincoln_winks.gif

Het_Nkik

So, guys, I got in contact with Richard Hutnik and asked him if that was his post. Here's his reply:

I had posted on Usenet for years before the web. I would be a bit shocked though if I am the originator of the term, but if you find I am, please let me know. You will also see the term "Ameritrash" on here thrown around, and I lay claim to helping to get that term off the ground. Anyhow, please feel free to keep me abreast to what you find. I also can be reached at:[redacted] if you want to email.

Maybe I can pop onto the forum sometime and chime in.

I'm linking him to this thread right now. Hopefully he already has a GAF account or it's gonna be a long wait before he can post anything...

jg4xchamp

Don't know, but I'd love a new term.

Metroidvania sounds dumb. Giving Casltevania credit for Metroid's work? kind of insane.

Although what about when games are related to Zelda? I was always hear/read Zelda like when referring to Darksiders, Beyond Good and Evil, and Okami for instance.

BPoole

I have no idea but I wish someone would come up with a better name for games that are commonly called "Metroidvanias"

mantidor

I'm just waiting for a developer to actually make a game called Metroidvania and then cash in on hype. Would probably give similar reactions as to when Valve trademarked DOTA2.

Nintendo would send a cease and desist in matter of minutes after its announced.

I don't care if iga says he was inspired by Zelda cause if he was then sotn would have had a large overworld with unrelated sequential dungeons instead of one connected map that connects different areas together like the metroid games.

I think the Zelda inspiration doesn't seem obvious because it's just one world, but Castlevania is about exploring a single castle, it's even in the name.

I do think Iga's ideal Castlevania game was Order of Ecclessia, lots of outdoors areas, with one big castle.

petran79

Banned

Super Metroid was not as popular as the original Metroid (which was also behind Mario and Zelda)

considering that the SNES had less sales than the NES, even less people played that game.

PSX had far more market penetration at that time, even though I cant say SOTN was everyone's cup of tea either.

richardhutnik

Neo Member
Hello all.

I managed to finally get registered on here.

I figured I would pop on, because I am being credited with coining the term "Metroidvania". I am likely not the only one to have done this, but I apparently am then first documented on the Internet to use it. I am surprised it caught on actually, but so be it. It was used to describe a change in how Castlevania worked.

Anyhow, just saying hello. I am up for any questions.

ALL HAIL!

Sure, maybe someone else used the term independently, and it was theirs that "stuck", but until they produce notarized documentation, you're Edison and Tesla can suck it. :^P

Don't hurt me, Tesla fans, I have no idea who invented what

Also, respect for using your real name, like me. :)

Hello all.

I managed to finally get registered on here.

I figured I would pop on, because I am being credited with coining the term "Metroidvania". I am likely not the only one to have done this, but I apparently am then first documented on the Internet to use it. I am surprised it caught on actually, but so be it. It was used to describe a change in how Castlevania worked.

Anyhow, just saying hello. I am up for any questions.

I somehow missed this back then

Cade

Man, a whole two years went by with only one person noticing we had one of those crazy one-post-longshot-approval situations here? I was wondering why the bump but glad I read through.

It's no, uh, Rick Chapman. But what is?

bjork

I wonder what the first game was with this style of game design. Not just limited to a side-scrolling viewpoint, you could get a similar thing in Zelda 1 which predates Metroid, and Hydlide predates Zelda.

They should call them Hydlikes.

Top Bottom