• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has bought a Wii U within the past week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hostiledrunk

Neo Member
I thought about this, too, but I don't think it will get much cheaper with the refurb deal, mk8 promo, and Target Amazon price match. New system and three games for $240? Steal.

Could you elaborate on this (especially the target thing)?
I must've missed something...

Also worth noting is that you can get almost every third party game off Amazon right now for under 30 bucks with the majority of titles under 20. I know a lot of the ports performance have been trashed online but I haven't run into one that dips into the unplayable and I have a lot of them.

PepperedHam

Chalk me up into the yes column.

The $200 refurb price tipped me over and the prospect of playing Mario Kart again with my buds was even more incentive. All of the other games are just a bonus. I'm in this for the karting baby.

ionitron

Could you elaborate on this (especially the target thing)?
I must've missed something...

The Reburb is 200 and comes with Nintendo Land

Mario Kart is 50 on Amazon, but you could potentially get it for 35 in Target since they Price Match with Amazon and have a 15$ off deal. That's what, 235? And then you can get a free game with Mario Kart as a Club Nintendo Promo (Between Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, WindWaker HD, and Wii Party U). However, at least for me, Tax + Shipping on the bundle was another 20 bucks, so it's more like 255, maybe 260 as overshot for the Tax/Shipping on the Mario Kart and whatnot.

Waiting on my refurb from Nintendo here.

Hmm, Wii U sales seem to have exploded on GAF at least; I wonder if this can be extrapolated to the market at large...

Loofy

I keep missing the deals for this thing. $120 target clearance on basic last year, the recent $150 deluxe at target.
I just want a really good deal like MK bundle for $250 or an extra game for $299.

Dr. Buni

I didn't because I don't have the money, but I am saving to buy one in December + Smash (if it is really released in said month).

ngower

Not the past week, but a few weeks ago. It's a fantastic bit of kit—not sure why it has the reputation it does when the PS4 (which I own) is selling like hotcakes with almost no games.

Zalusithix

Technically added within the past two weeks, and influenced by the MK 8 bundle. The Wii U has joined the console tower:
yfs6eDE.jpg

Maitiú

^ That's incredible.

After playing Mario Kart 8 last weekend and the show Nintendo put on this week, I became a member of the Wii-U install base yesterday morning via the refurb offer, and picked up the $9.99 ZombiU @ Best Buy and Mario Kart 8 @ Amazon.

I haven't played an Assassin's creed game since ACII, so I'll pick up the Wii U version of Black Flag for 19.99 and Deus Ex Director's Cut for 17.75 via Amazon since I never got to play that.

I'm gettin' there. Just needs to be lower in price. I really don't feel like buying a refurb.

These are all games I'd buy:

MK8
Splatoon
Mario 3D World
Smash Bros.
Zelda

3 out of the 5 above have online play which is important to me for replay value.

Need a couple more like that and I'm in. Bayonetta does nothing for me. Devil's Third looks like complete ass and will probably be a waste of their money securing that game. 2015 looks like when I'll be jumping in.

Thaster

My friend ended up getting one a few days ago. That Nintendo deal along with the Mario Kart 8 Target deal was too good to pass up.
I was sooooo close to getting one myself but then I realized that have a large backlog thay I have to finish going through.

Rainy Dog

Add me to the list.

I'd been set on importing a US console due to wanting to go all digital but not wanting to pay £50 per game when I lucked over the fact that there's actually a few UK online retailers that sell eShop game codes at a good £10-20 less than the eShop itself.

So I've finally treated myself to a Wii U and Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3. Still not fully decided on the free game but I think I'll go for Wind Waker as I have such fond memories of it on the GC but only ever played through it the once. And I think it'll hold it's price longer than The Wonderful 101 which will leave me something to look forward to down the line along with 3D World.

Also getting Lego City Undercover with the console as that particular bundle was the best deal I could find at the moment over here. Intend to sell that with it being a physical copy though might pick it up digitally down the line.

I've missed Nintendo so fucking much. Think I'll also grab a 3DS shortly as well.

To add to the list of eShop games in the OP.

-Unepic ($9.99)
-Spin the Bottle: Bumpy's Party ($9.99)
-1001 Spikes ($10.01 on sale)
-Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails ($9.99)
-Abyss HD ($1.99)
-Stick it to the Man ($9.99)
-Swords and Soldiers ($2.99)
-Toki Tori 2+ ($14.99)
-Toki Tori ($1.99)
-Edge ($1.99)
-RUSH ($1.99)
-TANK! TANK TANK! (F2P, DLC is cheap)*
*Dont believe the GAF bullshit about it being bad. It's a fantastic party game with friends. Especially My Kong mode, which has fantastic asymmetric multiplayer.

Are all great pick-ups as well. Especially Spin the Bottle, which makes more imaginative use of the Gamepad and Wiimote than even Nintendo's output.

I've been thinking of buying one some time soon (gotta play Bayonetta 2 when it comes out!), but it's still too expensive for my wallet. That US 200$ deal sounds nice, but I'm not in the US, and I'm not crazy enough to try and import it. So, what I'd like to ask - are there any Germans around these parts who know of some nice Wii U deals, in the price range of ~200€? Thanks in advance!

spared

I have all consoles since day one and I have played by far my Wii U the most, especially in 2014.

I'm glad more people are on board now, it's a great console.

PetrCobra

Is Monster Hunter worth it if you aren't going to really play multiplayer?

I was going to say "hell no" but then I realised that some 100 hours that you might get from single player is actually not that bad at all. And of course, you could play much more than that, it's just that at a certain point I'd worry that the game becomes too much to handle by yourself.

ramparter

Banned
Not paying £200+ for a last-gen console (in terms of power), for a small selection of exclusive games.

Sorry about that.

See that £ everyone? That's not dollars, that's british pounds. 200£ are more than 300$. Same or worse situation here in Greece, a premium Wii costs about 300€, that's more than 400$.

If I could buy a refurbished Wii U for 200$ (~160€) I would have done it already. I'm not expecting prices to be the same, I understand economics are complicated and there are many factors but please understand ...it's not the same!

So to sum up, Wii U seems like a great value in the US right now, not in Europe.

Dr. Buni

Is Monster Hunter worth it if you aren't going to really play multiplayer?
Yes. I actually like playing it solo far more than playing multiplayer. The feeling of beating a huge monster by myself is unmatched.
See that £ everyone? That's not dollars, that's british pounds. 200£ are more than 300$. Same or worse situation here in Greece, a premium Wii costs about 300€, that's more than 400$.
The price of a Wii U where I live is more or less equivalent to $400. I am still buying it, though.

Felensis

Banned
Count me in.

Bought the Mario Kart Premium Pack. Couldn't be happier.

This. Absolutely this. My Xbox 360 and One are collecting dust since a week ago when my fiancee surprised me with that glorious Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack!

Since then I've got SM3DW, W101 and Zelda as my free game.

If I could buy a refurbished Wii U for 200$ (~160€) I would have done it already. I'm not expecting prices to be the same, I understand economics are complicated and there are many factors but please understand ...it's not the same!

So to sum up, Wii U seems like a great value in the US right now, not in Europe.
When I was buying PS4 in February in Croatia, I saw a Wii U in one of shops there for almost a same price (somewhere in the range of 400€).

LowParry

I have and getting it next Monday. MK8, SM3DW and WW3D I will get to play :D Hyped! The wife wants to check out TTT2 for whatever reason. Morbid curiosity with all the Nintendo stuff going into it. Highly doubt anyone plays that on the Wii U.

jesu

I've got an X1 and initially expected to buy a PS4 in a couple of years for the exclusives, but I'm more tempted by the Wii U now tbh.
Nintendo are drawing me in....

(if it reaches US type prices over here soon, that would help!)

SeanTSC

So on top of buying the Wii U MK8 bundle I have now:

Bought an official Red Nunchuck off eBay to match the Red Mario Wiimote+ that came with the bundle since it only came bundled with the Red Wii-mini or sold separately in Japan.
Ordered a Charge Adapter off Amazon so I could keep playing with the Gamepad when the battery runs low.
Ordered an official high-capacity battery off Play-Asia since they seem to have magically disappeared from the US market (and didn't realize I could use my US Amazon login with the UK site and forgot to check there for it).

Damn you, Nintendo.

Boney

Banned
I wish I could get it as cheap as some of you are doing.
I was looking at a few used ones around 400 bucks with a couple of games but ended chickening out.

Zalusithix

The Wii U next to your Dreamcast eh, I see what you did there :p

Just kidding, that's a very cool set-up :)

Although the setup is based on optimal space usage, there's certainly a number of parallels that can be drawn between the Wii U and the Dreamcast - both positive and negative. That said, if I get half the enjoyment from the Wii U as I did from the Dreamcast, I'll be very, very happy.

Riddy

~240 for a Wii U, Mario Kart and an extra game of my choice.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry tempting...only thing holding me back is that outside of two or three games, I can't see the investment being worth it until a year from now.

Phoenixus

I'd been set on importing a US console due to wanting to go all digital but not wanting to pay £50 per game when I lucked over the fact that there's actually a few UK online retailers that sell eShop game codes at a good £10-20 less than the eShop itself.

Ooh, can you point me to these retailers? I'd love to replace my physical library with their digital counterparts. :)

alanias

Yep! I ordered my refurb Thursday, 2 day shipping. Grabbed Mario Kart on Amazon, and a charging cradle and Rayman Legends on sale at Best Buy today.

I am ready for Monday and super excited.

No, not really interested. Mainly because of the system uncertain future, i don't want buy a console that has a chance of being pulled out of the market. And before anyone says " but but but...what about this E3?" well its not going to do a thing for this poor console.

Vormund

I bought the MK8 bundle yesterday. Loving it so far.

Yeah E3 did sway me to get one sooner. Hyrule warriors, Captain Toad and Bayonetta 1 and 2

Not sure if posted or not, didn't see a thread and I cant' make one.

Was just at Best Buy for Smash Fest and they have ZombiU for $9.99 new and $7.99 used

Link

If someone wants to spread that knowledge further.

Thought it was relevant for a new Wii U owner thread.

Exuro

Bought Mario Kart 8 yesterday due to the Target deal and chose Pikmin 3 for my free game. Order a Refurb Wii U as well. Will hopefully be in next week. This + PC should keep me busy for gaming.

Ramenman

E3 has definitely created the envy for me to buy one, but not right away. I'll wait for the games I want to be out first. And I also have a lot to play on everything else at the moment.

Somewhere down the line I guess.

Just joined the club. Was pretty blindsided by no ethernet port. Oh well, already had an adapter for my PC so will just have to share until I get another one from Amazon.

Confused why you have two different usernames for support forums vs account. But then Nintendo always does things strange.

Sendou

Just joined the club. Was pretty blindsided by no ethernet port. Oh well, already had an adapter for my PC so will just have to share until I get another one from Amazon.

I wonder why they didn't add an ethernet port. Then they have someone like Sakurai going about how people should buy the adapter.

hostiledrunk

Neo Member
The Reburb is 200 and comes with Nintendo Land

Mario Kart is 50 on Amazon, but you could potentially get it for 35 in Target since they Price Match with Amazon and have a 15$ off deal. That's what, 235? And then you can get a free game with Mario Kart as a Club Nintendo Promo (Between Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, WindWaker HD, and Wii Party U). However, at least for me, Tax + Shipping on the bundle was another 20 bucks, so it's more like 255, maybe 260 as overshot for the Tax/Shipping on the Mario Kart and whatnot.

Ahhh,thanks! I'd love to snag one now but I'm still paying off my ps4 and xb1. Hopefully I can get one this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom