• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is AdjutantReflex

ILOVEASIANS said:
I think that's the plan. To fill in the story on the Forerunners and the Flood. But just my guess:D
Maybe then people who played Iris for the swag would go back and actually appreciate it for what it was.

:/

OP updated with article and some "Where are they now" stuff that I wrote to kill time for my Bioshock PC demo to download.

I'll bump the thread each time a new pack of swag arrives, but until then lets dance off on the knife edge of oblivion and call this ARG wrapped.

What.now.jpg

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Buttonbasher said:
I'll bump the thread each time a new pack of swag arrives, but until then lets dance off on the knife edge of oblivion and call this ARG wrapped.
Or is it?

n195400165_30137995_2631.jpg

I've been meaning to upload this for a while. I was out of town with work a while back and saw this sign on the side of the road and immediately thought of the ARG.

Good Argnet article

http://www.argn.com/archive/000640cause_sooner_or_later_its_over.php

Explains some stuff.

Despite mentioning some of the game's shortfalls, the article fails to mention issues such as:

* inconsistent programming in regards to the membership application process for Society of the Ancients

* difficulties with the toll free number for the Flood Containment Control

* routine server errors during the unlocking of servers igniting fury in players who felt they were swindled out of rewards they deserved

* sloppy asset control where source material was found, raising questions and causing stress for those who ended up swarmed by hordes of strangers (Iris players) who thought they were in-game

* most bothersome: the correction of GPS locations people actually travelled to, after the fact, in the unlocking of the final episode

That explains some stuff.

Scarecrow

Yeah, this was a huge letdown ( and not 'cause I didn't win a shirt). The ILB one ended so awesomely. It reminded me of the end of the last episode of the Clone Wars cartoon, pumping you up for the main event (halo2/Star wars3). Also, didn't they say this was going to be going on till launch?

Buttonbasher said:
What would be cool is if the Terminals in Halo 3 continued the story told in the servers. Like further explain the flood creation. And possibly make sense of some of the remaining mysteries such as Infestation.jpg

That would be interesting.
They could do it in a way that people who followed the ARG get some extra details/reference/hints and who didn´t still get the story.
The same way that is with the books. If you read them great, but you can play the games without reading them.

But I agree with some people here if its really over. When ILB ended I was like "Holy shit! This is great!". It ended with a big bang. IRIS unfortunatelly, lacking a better word, seems incomplete.

Here's an article for all the non-believers, and or someone who wanted to read it on a website they could access:

http://halo.msn.com/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=5324970

Perhaps their best source of information was a series of elaborate treasure hunts dubbed “Iris,” an alternate reality game created by Xbox and Bungie Studios as part of the massive promotional push for the third and final chapter of the best-selling Halo franchise. More than 1.5 million visitors logged onto Halo3.com since Iris debuted earlier this summer. The viral campaign concluded in mid-August but the plot thread will extend into Halo 3.

With its cryptic messages and iconic symbols, Iris took gamers on an extraordinary journey through the Halo universe, providing a wide range of previously unknown secrets about the Halos, the Flood, the Forerunners and the true origins behind the Halo trilogy. It contained numerous examples of innovative technologies, an eclectic mix of multiple media channels — including the online, wireless and physical worlds — and several complex, mind-bending challenges to solve that unlocked new information and stories about the Halo mythology.

“The goal of Iris was to thoroughly engage the Halo community in the launch of Halo 3 and provide an exciting glimpse into this rich and immersive world,” says Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of Global Marketing for Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business.
Iris is Jeff Bells contribution to society.

A small team from the two companies spent eight months developing a five-episode story and crafting an interactive narrative that could be easily followed. In the end, Iris was created as a physical mechanism — five servers representing the five episodes of the campaign— that was locked until the first 100 people cracked the code. Once opened, all of the content — videos, text log files, images, maps —was available to everyone.

AR IS BACK?

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=12917859

This vessel I have stolen is leaking
A jar too small to hold an ocean
I cracked it open it to bear me up
Another soul snuffed to speed my passage
Another life desiccated and scattered to the Grand Cycle
I wish to say, just once and truly
This was not a whim
I shared Adjutant Reflex’s pain as it passed
It knew who I was
And why I came
It knew that there was purpose to this
And that a sacrifice had been forced upon it
As it was on trillions past
Another sacrifice comes
But for whom?
The answer lies very far from here
Eleven days
One hour
Thirty eight minutes
And untold light years
Look for me in the dark
Where he cannot find us
And pray as you have never prayed before

* 09.13.2007 10:22 PM PDT

Needless to say, this shit just got real... again.

The time definitely refers to the Halo 3 release date and AR mentions a sacrifice. We'll assume he is referring to Master Chief.

Domino Theory said:
Yes! :D

Anyways, to get cracking:

I heavily feel that he's talking about the Gravemind. Not exactly sure what about though.

I always had the feeling that the entity which took over AR was some sort of Gravemind.

Buttonbasher said:
Vessel? Could it be on the Forerunner ship?

If this was taking place just before Halo 3 I would suggest that it is Gravemind on a Flood infested In Amber Clad heading for Earth. I'm still not sure when AR is supposed to be. Does he exist before the Halos were originally fired?

tak

Buttonbasher said:
Vessel? Could it be on the Forerunner ship?
I'm not sure either. It is hard to tell if he is talking about a physical object or something more abstract (like a computer). I've forgotten a lot of the details surrounding AR.

IJoel

It might be that it was Gravemind before the first Halo firing by the Forerunners, trying to leave/store a message, and pointing out to Halo 3's release date as the time (in the future) when the situation would arise that would require someone to make a sacrifice (just as it had been forced upon AR).

IJoel said:
It might be that it was Gravemind before the first Halo firing by the Forerunners, trying to leave/store a message, and pointing out to Halo 3's release date as the time (in the future) when the situation would arise that would require someone to make a sacrifice (just as it had been forced upon AR).

You could be right. If Master Chief stops the Covenant from firing Halo it still doesn't solve the problem of the flood spreading and infesting the galaxy once more. MC dying to stop the Covenant would certainly be a sacrifice in Gravemind's favor.

got2bekidding said:
An edit has been attached to the message,

"This is the way the world ends.

[Edited on 09.13.2007 10:57 PM PDT]"
Oh Shit. Wait. What does this mean? Cortana? Could that mean that AR was Gravemind, then New AR is Cortana taken over Gravemind? Gravemind leading us bad way Cortana leading us good? Or reverse? Rampancy.

Good freaking god. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?

Buttonbasher said:
Oh Shit. Wait. What does this mean? Cortana? Could that mean that AR was Gravemind, then New AR is Cortana taken over Gravemind? Gravemind leading us bad way Cortana leading us good? Or reverse? Rampancy.

Good freaking god. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?

My theory is that Gravemind was an AI developed by the forerunners. The Flood were an extra-galactic infestation that started to spread and take over our galaxy. Gravemind, fearing rampancy, found a way to transfer his "consciousness" into The Flood and spread his knowledge, information and thought processes through their network.

Cortana, now stranded with Gravemind, may find herself tempted at the possibility of avoiding rampancy as well. She may attempt to meld with gravemind and achieve the same immortality that he did.

HALO FUCKING SOLVED!

I just blew my mind.

EDIT: I think at the end of Halo 3, Cortana will sacrifice herself for the cause and turn against Gravemind.

What if Cortana is the Sacrifice and not MASTER CHIEF? You know, I would love an ending with Master Chief living out his days and raising a family after the war is over. I know that wont happen but it would be a happy ending.

tak

got2bekidding said:
An edit has been attached to the message,

"This is the way the world ends.

[Edited on 09.13.2007 10:57 PM PDT]"
AR was taken over by the Gravemind who was taken over by Cortona! It all makes sense now!

... :(

DoctorWho said:
My theory is that Gravemind was an AI developed by the forerunners. The Flood were an extra-galactic infestation that started to spread and take over our galaxy. Gravemind, fearing rampancy, found a way to transfer its "consciousness" into The Flood and spread his knowledge, information and thought processes through their network.

Cortana, now stranded with Gravemind, may find herself tempted at the possibility of avoiding rampancy as well. She may attempt to meld with gravemind and achieve the same immortality that he did.

HALO FUCKING SOLVED!

I just blew my mind.

EDIT: I think at the end of Halo 3, Cortana will sacrifice herself for the cause and turn against Gravemind.
I like your theory better then my little one.

Tzeentch

My brain just exploded at the possibilities.

Why the hell does the ARG stuff blow the hell out of the novels as far as coolness?

What has been bugging me since the outset of Halo is why the 7 rings were built to support all sorts of life. They aren't just installations that were meant to be manned by personnel who were strictly there to fire the weapon - they are simulations of Earth.

Why would you build a weapon like that?

DoctorWho said:
My theory is that Gravemind was an AI developed by the forerunners. The Flood were an extra-galactic infestation that started to spread and take over our galaxy. Gravemind, fearing rampancy, found a way to transfer his "consciousness" into The Flood and spread his knowledge, information and thought processes through their network.

HALO FUCKING SOLVED!

I just blew my mind.

That makes a crazy deal of sense.

God I love that this is still happening. Even if this probably is the end.

This post is crazy though.

Before heading to bed I'ma analyze the post real quick

This vessel I have stolen is leaking (If my theory is correct could this mean Gravemind is sheding the look, revealing it's true form?)

A jar too small to hold an ocean (...of knowledge from when Cortana had access to the inner workings of the Halo in CE?

I cracked it open to bear me up (Alright Shoot. High five, SNAP I BROKE IN!)

Another soul snuffed to speed my passage (Gravemind melded with something making him disadvantaged?)

Another life desiccated and scattered to the Grand Cycle (Grand Cycle have anything to do with CycleResponse.jpg?)

This was not a whim
It knew who I was
And why I came
As it was on trillions past (old as a Forerunner? Dunno.)

Another sacrifice comes
But for whom?
Eleven days
One hour
Thirty eight minutes
And untold light years
Look for me in the dark (Find the Terminals)

Where he cannot find us

This is the way the world ends. (Cortana?)

So many questions. 11 days....

Tzeentch

I always assumed they were retrofitted for the purpose, or the Forerunners built non-weaponized Halos for normal habitation as well. The ARG implies a possible civil war over their construction so maybe their purpose was disguised even from other Forerunners who would not admit that this final act was needed.

Things get a bit wierd due to the rather haphazard way the mythos was constructed over time. Hence the disappeared dinosaurs, blindwolves, and stuff like no ambient life on Installation 04 and the whopping two critter types on Installation 05 (fish and the birds).

You know, a lot of people look at this as Master Chief's story but this is just as much about Cortana as it is about him. The first hint we ever had of Halo was in the Cortana letters. They were our first experience of this universe so it is naturally fitting for the story to end with her.

Buttonbasher said:
That makes a crazy deal of sense.

God I love that this is still happening. Even if this probably is the end.

This post is crazy though.

Before heading to bed I'ma analyze the post real quick

This vessel I have stolen is leaking (If my theory is correct could this mean Gravemind is sheding the look, revealing it's true form?)

A jar too small to hold an ocean (...of knowledge from when Cortana had access to the inner workings of the Halo in CE?

I cracked it open to bear me up (Alright Shoot. High five, SNAP I BROKE IN!)

Another soul snuffed to speed my passage (Gravemind melded with something making him disadvantaged?)

Another life desiccated and scattered to the Grand Cycle (Grand Cycle have anything to do with CycleResponse.jpg?)

This was not a whim
It knew who I was
And why I came
As it was on trillions past (old as a Forerunner? Dunno.)

Another sacrifice comes
But for whom?
Eleven days
One hour
Thirty eight minutes
And untold light years
Look for me in the dark (Find the Terminals)

Where he cannot find us

This is the way the world ends. (Cortana?)

So many questions. 11 days....

I think your analysis of those first few lines is spot on. I wonder if we'll be hearing any more from AR at this point.

tak

DoctorWho said:
I have a few theories, but I think I'll post them when I'm less sleepy. I'll regret what I post in the morning. :p

Stinkles said:
An excellent question.
I think this bad of a tease is a illegal in some countries.

Thermite

DoctorWho said:
What has been bugging me since the outset of Halo is why the 7 rings were built to support all sorts of life. They aren't just installations that were meant to be manned by personnel who were strictly there to fire the weapon - they are simulations of Earth.

Now that I think about it, the Halo(s) aren't too different than the
Shield World in Ghosts of Onyx
are they? Hmm...

Thermite

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, they Halos are the swords to the shield.

It hasn't been made abundantly clear what would happen to the Earth-like environments/life on the Halo(s) if they were to fire, has it? We know that when Master Chief/UNSC stopped the firing sequence they exploded and fell to pieces but I have to wonder..what would happen if a Halo just fired, uninterrupted? Would they remain intact, not effecting the Earth-like habitat? What if these Halo(s) were meant to act as shelters in the case that humanity or whatever absolutely had to fire them off? (I feel like I'm rambling on now, I think I need to go to bed. :p)

Top Bottom