• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

I can not wrap my head around the appeal of The Chainsmokers.

And I think the basis of Bruno Mars' career is to be as absolutely, fucking, corny as possible. So overrated.

DOWN

Banned
I think Radiohead is the answer that wins the thread. Their most popular songs feel like some joke when you listen to them and try and figure out why they are popular.

Animal Collective, specifically MPP, which is the worst record I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. However, I feel partially vindicated as their more recent output has exposed them for the musically untalented frauds they are.

I could list 10 artists/bands right off the top of my head, and I'm sure if I read the rest of the thread, I'll find plenty more I agree with. The 10 that came to me that made me think 'I don't get the appeal at all':
  • Radiohead
  • Nirvana
  • U2
  • The Foo Fighters
  • Pearl Jam
  • David Bowie
  • Beyoncé
  • Rolling Stones
  • Johnny Cash
  • Beastie Boys
Out of that entire list, only U2, Beyoncé, and Bowie have made one song that I like. The rest I've heard is just not my thing. I guess I prefer more upbeat and campier entertainment, and on the whole these artists don't tend to deliver on that front.

LionPride

Banned
I could list 10 artists/bands right off the top of my head, and I'm sure if I read the rest of the thread, I'll find plenty more I agree with. The 10 that came to me that made me think 'I don't get the appeal at all':
  • Radiohead
  • Nirvana
  • U2
  • The Foo Fighters
  • Pearl Jam
  • David Bowie
  • Beyoncé
  • Rolling Stones
  • Johnny Cash
  • Beastie Boys
Out of that entire list, only U2, Beyoncé, and Bowie have made one song that I like. The rest I've heard is just not my thing. I guess I prefer more upbeat and campier entertainment, and on the whole these artists don't tend to deliver on that front.
That doesn't make them overrated tho

EGM1966

Why is it on the internet it's always "underrated" or "pretentious" while face to face with people we merely express opinions on whether we like or dislike certain music or artists?

highrider

Banned
First that come to mind for me are Beyonce and Kanye. I don't think they are bad but I don't understand the huge hype about their music.

Mariah is overrated???

The legend that all female singers were inspired by?

mariah-carey-snap.gif

Found Touchdown's alt

Animal Collective, specifically MPP, which is the worst record I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. However, I feel partially vindicated as their more recent output has exposed them for the musically untalented frauds they are.

This is a great one. I remember when I kept hearing about them all the time so I checked out MPP and was like "WTF is this shit." Just terrible.

That doesn't make them overrated tho
The analysis of my own tastes doesn't, but the fact that these artists are/were wildly successful, yet they did not contribute much of worth, does. The entire concept of being under- or overrated is subjective after all. It contrasts how I would personally rate them, and how I perceive their critical and commercial appeal.

I think rihanna is awful, i always skip her songs and if im listening to an album thats just been released and shes featured in a track chances are very high im not even giving that track the time of day. Shes on the radio 24/7 tho so obviously im in the minority.

I'll give credit where its due, she has like maybe 5 hot tracks/feats under her belt

• Radiohead
  • Nirvana
  • U2
  • The Foo Fighters
  • Pearl Jam
  • David Bowie
  • Beyoncé
  • Rolling Stones
  • Johnny Cash
  • Beastie Boys

The Stones, Beastie Boys, and Bowie have a bunch of upbeat songs, in my opinion. I mean there's Brown Sugar, Brass Monkey, Girls, Honky Tonk Woman, Modern Love, just to name a few. I think the definition of upbeat and campy is the "Dancing in the Street" video with Jagger and Bowie, not to mention just all around weird.

• Radiohead
  • Nirvana
  • U2
  • The Foo Fighters
  • Pearl Jam
  • David Bowie
  • Beyoncé
  • Rolling Stones
  • Johnny Cash
  • Beastie Boys

You like 'campier upbeat entertainment' but only liked one Bowie song? Have you only ever listened to one Bowie song??

I'll stick with one per decade, roughly:

The Doors, Queen, Guns N Roses, Nirvana, White Stripes, Mumford and Sons

I'm not saying that I can't appreciate any/all of their music, just that maybe there are better artists that played similar styles of music that did not receive as much recognition.

NinjaBoiX

yep, that's the exact type of weirdly pretentious response i'd expect from a radiohead fan too

you'd think radiohead was some super complex progressive band with the superiority complex that their fans have
They are a super complex, incredibly progressive band. Their music is insanely intricate and layered with clever time signatures and songwriting minutiae that take multiple listens to fully appreciate.

And their sound is ever evolving through their records, often pioneering new musical ideas and techniques.

They are pretty much the dictionary definition of "complex and progressive band".

Wether they're up their own arse is up for debate (even as a massive fan I'd struggle to argue against this) but when you're that important (and they just are, like it or not) it's kind of a moot point.

Top 10 most overrated:

1. Tom Waits
2. Nina Simone
3. Radiohead
4. PJ Harvey
5. Aphex Twin
6. David Bowie
7. The Flaming Lips
8. Leonard Cohen
9. Pixies
10. Autechre

Do not listen to anything by any of these artists. You have been warned.

Nirvana really never felt all that special to me. They're the most blatant case of a legacy being formed around the tragedy of art - and not the art itself. They made one solid album, and we're solidified as gods because of Cobain's suicide. That permanently framed the conversation around them as a result, and made them impossible to properly analyze with time.

Nirvana are both overrated and underrated.

Nevermind is solid, but In Utero may be the best album ever recorded. It still blows me away every time all these years later. Just listen to the drums in Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

I never understood why people thought Pixies were such an amazing band. Every time I tried to listen to them I was thoroughly bored, and I gave them a number of chances.

I think their first four albums are some of the most varied, dynamic and creative rock music ever created. The 90s explosion of grunge music and mainstream alternative rock (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Soundgarden and even Radiohead) owes The Pixies a huge debt.

Even if you dont like their music (which is fair enough) I emplore you to go and watch the documentary "gouge away" on youtube to hear people like Bono, Thom Yorke and David Bowie explain their significance far better than I can.

Frank Black / Charles Thompson should held in far greater esteem for his song writing abilities, albums like Teenager of the year and Dog in the sand would be career highlights for other far better known musicians but they are just tucked away in his solo phase in releative obscurity.

In the end the whole overrated arguement is pointless, one mans trash is another mans treasure and the more exposure an artist gets the more likely people will find an issue with it.

Not my opinion, but where I grew up, (very rural America) Prince.

Once upon a time, he was sex personified (yes, yes he was) and that made him evil.

We teens hid the swapping of his songs, one at a time on cassette tapes. (Anyone else remember cassette singles?)

It kept the kids straddling the line between safe and grounded. The song would be explained away by "I didn't KNOW!" and the kid scolded.

We ALL had His music on tapes. If you were caught, you were expected to throw yourself on the pyre.

This makes me laugh, my mom is a devout Catholic and would play Prince songs in our house all the time when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom