• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me I cannot understand the popularity of Maroon 5. They are fucking horrendous.
Their first album was actually pretty good in isolation. It was a break up album done in a pop rock/funk style, which wasn't something you saw a lot of at the time. The lyrics were venomously angry and sarcastic in spite of the boppy music and the album hasn't got a weak track on it.

The massive airplay they got for the singles off the album is what killed it. Especially if you listened to the melody and thought it was just trite love songs, you'd have developed a hatred of Adam Levine's falsetto if that wasn't your thing and completely missed the sarcasm or the bite.

Most of their fans though only got into them because of their hits (This Love, Sunday Morning, She Will Be Loved) and not the other stuff on their debut album that those songs were meant to counterbalance (eg Harder to Breathe)

It didn't help that they were marketed as a typical pop band whose main appeal was to teenage girls.

I will agree about everything they did after that first album though.

For the life of me I cannot understand the popularity of Maroon 5. They are fucking horrendous.

Adam Levine is a very attractive man with a decent voice and sings songs about sex/love. Women love Maroon 5, and I definitely get why. Don't care for them myself, but I understand the allure.

As for the OP, I'd definitely say Sublime. If they had time to make another album odds are they would have been forgotten. But they benefited greatly from their lead singers untimely death. I like some of their songs, but they are often mentioned as one of the better groups to come out of the 90's and I disagree vehemently.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think rihanna is awful, i always skip her songs and if im listening to an album thats just been released and shes featured in a track chances are very high im not even giving that track the time of day. Shes on the radio 24/7 tho so obviously im in the minority.

I'll give credit where its due, she has like maybe 5 hot tracks/feats under her belt

Similarly to Beyonce, she doesn't write fuck all, so like most pop artists, completely interchangeable. (Umbrella was written for Britney Spears).

Read 'Inside the Pop Music Factory', amazing book about how pop music is made and marketed.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'll stick with one per decade, roughly:

The Doors, Queen, Guns N Roses, Nirvana, White Stripes, Mumford and Sons

I'm not saying that I can't appreciate any/all of their music, just that maybe there are better artists that played similar styles of music that did not receive as much recognition.

One of these things is not like the others.

One of these things does not belong.

Bang on about the rest, replace Queen with U2

SKINNER!

Banned
ZUAhxeW.png

Corny lines. Lazy flow. Whiny singing. Fake persona. Repetitive mind-numbing hooks. Jacks whatever style (UK grime, Dancehall, whatever is in) he wants and runs with it like it's his own. Overrated as fuck.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Top 10 most overrated:

1. Tom Waits
2. Nina Simone
3. Radiohead
4. PJ Harvey
5. Aphex Twin
6. David Bowie
7. The Flaming Lips
8. Leonard Cohen
9. Pixies
10. Autechre

Do not listen to anything by any of these artists. You have been warned.

You'd kinda need to like and listen to a bunch of Electronic music to really get just how insanely groundbreaking Aphex is. Also the best act I've ever seen live.

Pixies were the best band of their era, everyone that came after, especially Nirvana, cribbed hard from them. Second best act I've ever seen live.

Spuck-uk

Banned
she's a very hard worker and it's probably her singing ability, her commitment to her fanbase and that her shows are amazing (supposedly, I've never been to one)

people that work hard and are nice in the music industry tend to be well received.

she's been at it forever too.

Basically like Madonna,

She wasn't even the best singer in Destinys Child, she was just the prettiest.

Davilmar

Beyonce, Drake, the Beatles, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, the Rolling Stones, etc. I don't think they are particularly bad, but I have never been fond of any of their music.

NinjaBoiX

Slayer is also terrible tryhard edgelord garbage.
Truth talk. Just look at their album titles:

Repentless
God Hates Us All
Reign In Blood
Show No Mercy
Christ Illusion
World Painted Blood
...blah-blah-tedious satanic affection-blah-blah...

QmZ5dgS.jpg

All those corny metal bands about "hellfire and bloodsucking demons and flaming skulls and shit man!", just fuck off you pathetic, pubescent, power fantasy little twats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom