• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best character designer in gaming?

I gotta give it to Daisuke Ishiwatari. His designs are always unique, in a field where most everything is derivative

BTW, this question is not taking characters' stories or personalities into account, just based on visual design, what do you think?

cha_m22a.jpg

ggi_cs_za.jpg

BRIDGET.jpg

everyone's gay for bridget ;)

images5cdonotwantdx6.jpg

I choose....Ayami Kojima. Wish they'd put her back on the good Castlevania games.

Oh, and whoever is responsible for those amazing rabbids.

BRIDGET.jpg

I can't even tell what's going on in that picture but I think Pedobear has something to do with it. He's in there somewhere...

lyre

Whoever the guys that did the character designs in Nintendo R&D1 and IntSys for the WarioWare games.
wario.gif

They're all wacky but not excessively over the top.

Biker costume Wario > *

Bildi said:
I don't know this character - is it male or female or androgynous?
All three characters are male.

Bebpo

Banned
7Th said:
Kaneko Kazuma.

Yeah.

Then again it depends on if you mean in terms of concept or artist execution? Becauase like Makoto Tsuchibayashi might not have the most original designs ever, but they always look awesome:

picssss30024.jpg

picssss30005.jpg

Wikipedia also said he worked on Shinobi PS2 but I can't find any confirmation. Would make sense since Hotsuma looked ****ing badass.

ECDhotsuma.jpg

RyuHayate

_leech_ said:

Most definitely the best.

Runner-up for me would be Yoshida. Nomura's stuff can be cool occasionally, but that's when he's not overdoing it with the buckles and zippers (see: Auron).

Bebpo said:
Then again it depends on if you mean in terms of concept or artist execution? Becauase like Makoto Tsuchibayashi might not have the most original designs ever, but they always look awesome:
That's for sure. Personally I've never cared too much for what folks always refer to as unique and creative, at least in regards of Japanese anime. It's just not rare to see anymore and often it feels like going extreme only for the sake of being unique rather than for aesthetic quality - and as such the actual aesthetic quality just isn't there (subjective as it is, I realize). Furthermore, because it's become more common, it's actually become generic too.

It's the difference between a great design that just happens to be unique or creative, and a design that tried too hard to be unique and creative.

MCD

Shinkawa is awesome at character designing, but i hardly see him draw environmental stuff.

Gears of War artist = one of the best artist at that field, along with the Prince of Persia artist (POP is excellent at character designing too).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
_leech_ said:
24407_L.jpg

snake%20014.jpg

Metal gear awesomeness

**** yes.

Bebpo said:
Yeah

Wikipedia also said he worked on Shinobi PS2 but I can't find any confirmation. Would make sense since Hotsuma looked ****ing badass.

ECDhotsuma.jpg

Argh. I can't remember the credits. I do think it is true though. Hotsuma is the most badass looking character created last gen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yoji Shinkawa, there's hardly any doubt. Trying to think of anyone who has designed as many memorable game characters, but I just can't. Combine that with his lighting direction in Kojima's games and you have one man that's defined the way MGS games (ZoE2 also) look like.

My second vote would go to ex-Lucasarts designers especially Peter Tsacle, design lead behind Grim Fandango and Larry Ahern design lead behind Curse of Monkey Island.

MCD

Avalon said:
His character designs are really great too. Where is Error, I've seen him post some really nice artwork before...

of course they are, it's just that he excels more at drawing strange ass unique looking demons.

MegaTen

Banned
Avalon said:
His character designs are really great too. Where is Error, I've seen him post some really nice artwork before...
I could scan some of my books and mags then upload someplace if you're in need of some character art.

edit: Nevermind :( my scanner isn't cooperating. I really should get a new one..

Pellham

Banned
akihiko yoshida is my favorite. I don't think there's a "best" character designer as art quality is subjective.

J2 Cool

McDragon said:
Shinkawa is awesome at character designing, but i hardly see him draw environmental stuff.

Gears of War artist = one of the best artist at that field, along with the Prince of Persia artist (POP is excellent at character designing too).

Yes, but this thread is titled "best character designer". Thread over.

the_end.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4.jpg

Pimpbaa

akachan ningen said:
yeah, link's design is great because I've never seen a picture of peter pan before.

You shouldn't be dissing other peoples choices when you yourself posted some absolutely hideous examples of character design. Sexually ambiguous designs do not automatically equal good designs.

Top Bottom