• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best Hip Hop Producer of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
H7OpcSr.png

I'll start off with the man himself.

1fWSrMg.png

Kanye West. The most versatile sampled beat producer. He has a discography a mile and a half long filled with classics. Some of my favorites from him include:

Common - The People

Kanye West - Diamonds From Sierra Leone

Kanye West - Power

Kaye West - Good Life ft. T-Pain

H7OpcSr.png

Next is the living legend.

WooAE64.png

Dr. Dre. He has produced some of the most memorable songs in history. He is the west coast sound. Here are some notable songs he's produced:

Dr. Dre - Nuthin' But a G Thang

Eminem - The Real Slim Shady

Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E. ft. Snoop Dogg

2Pac - California Love

H7OpcSr.png

SXp6FFM.png

Timbaland. The most unique, and I think he's the most musical out of the super producers. He can make almost any type of music. The sound you think of when you think Missy Elliot is Timbaland's doing. King of the 2000's..

Omarion - Ice Box

Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody

Missy Elliot - Cop That Shit

Missy Elliot - Work It

Jay Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulders

H7OpcSr.png

lFBaGzg.png

DJ Premier. It would be hard to overstate DJ Premier's importance for American hip-hop. He's been referred to as "the true essence of hip-hop", the "cornerstone of hip-hop power", and "the king of underground hip-hop". He is said to have "created a benchmark for all the hip-hop producers that have come through since" and has been described as the main hip-hop kingmaker in New York. "MCs of the New York 1990s had one rite of passage above all else — they had to get by DJ Premier to be great," one writer noted.

Here are some of my favorites:

Nas - NY State Of Mind

Common - The 6th Sense

Rakim - When I B On Tha Mic

H7OpcSr.png

nGbztYq.png

This area, I'll just name, one off, favorite beats ever.. Modern, or classic.

Mac Miller - Red Dot Music (Produced By The Alchemist)

H7OpcSr.png

T.I. - About The Money ft. Young Thug (Produced By London On The Track)

H7OpcSr.png

Rick Ross - Aston Martin Music ft. Drake, Chrisette Michele (Produced by Justice League)

H7OpcSr.png

Future - Move That Dope ft. Pharrell Williams, Pusha T (Produced By Mike Will Made It)

H7OpcSr.png

Eminem - Lose Yourself (Produced By Jeff Bass & Eminem)

H7OpcSr.png

Mac Miller - Insomniak Ft. Rick Ross (Produced by Big Jerm)

H7OpcSr.png

Ok, now for the good part..

What's your favorite beats/producers?

wC1FJga.png

Village

Madlib and Dilla need to be put up for consideration.

does it have to be a person who does exclusively hip hop, because you got timbo in there and he does pop stuff too. If that's the case i wanna recommend phrarrell.

Edit: Thanks spindashing, also pete rock

Off that list probably DJ Premier with Dr Dre right behind him. This thread reminded me of Scott Storch though for some reason lol. He had a lot of good singles before he fell off the face of the earth.

Ray Wonder

Madlib and Dilla need to be put up for consideration.

does it have to be a person who does exclusively hip hop, because you got timbo in there and he does pop stuff too. If that's the case i wanna recommend phrarrell.

Nope. As long as they have Hip Hop somewhere in their catalog.

Edit: I was really close to putting pharrel in here, but I didn't want to name everyone. I wanted some kind of discussion.

Village

Nope. As long as they have Hip Hop somewhere in their catalog.

Edit: I was really close to putting pharrel in here, but I didn't want to name everyone. I wanted some kind of discussion.

Oh ok, then Phrarrell and Chad hugo need to be commended, their brand of beat making has very unique quality about it where you can immediately point it out, and is almost always enjoyable.

Wiz

Oh ok, then Phrarrell and Chad hugo need to be commended, their brand of beat making has very unique quality about it where you can immediately point it out, and is almost always enjoyable.
Yup. Theyve been making hits consistently (well at least Pharrell has) for 10+ years

Ray Wonder

Pathos

Banned
My top 5 are dre, kanye, rza, premo, and probably havoc. Other favourites are j dilla, q-tip, el-p, hit-boy, large professor, alchemist and no i.d.

Kanye by far. Also a personal favorite of mine is Young Chop but I don't think anyone else would back me in saying he's a great producer.

Syntsui

It's hard to talk about THE best, but it's impossible to make a top 10 withou at least Dre, Premier, No ID, Timbaland and Kanye. They are pretty much locked in, the rest is pretty much arguable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom