• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best Hip Hop Producer of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftedly

Alchemist (Alchemist - Hold You Down)
Kno (Cunninlynguists - Dance For Me)
Stoupe (Jedi Mind Tricks - Serenity In Murder)

Shame that Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind doesn't make beats no more...dude was amazing on the boards at one point of his career.

I completely forgot about Stoupe. I loved all the beats he made for JMT when he was a member.

"Vinnie Paz and Stoupe return as Jedi Mind Tricks in 2015."
http://www.jmthiphop.com/vinnie-paz-stoupe-return-as-jedi-mind-tricks-in-2015

In the 90's, Havoc and Rza were the best. Haven't listened to much hip hop since then but I can't argue with Timbaland.

Giving this an edit for Quincy Jones. He's probably been sampled more than anyone.

Iconic
Summer In The City Instrumental: http://youtu.be/j9AWwWro7yc

RP912

Banned
In the 90's, Havoc and Rza were the best. Haven't listened to much hip hop since then but I can't argue with Timbaland.

Giving this an edit for Quincy Jones. He's probably been sampled more than anyone.

Havoc in the 90s was a different type of beast. Hell on Earth I swear dude was insane. The beats on that album were legendary especially G.O.D PT 3 where he flipped the fuck out of the scarface theme with them killing me softly drums.

RP912

Banned
mike_dean_1.jpg

This thread needs more Mike Dean. I loved his work during Rap a Lots hey day.

Dramos

Yep, that's definitely the Top 5.

Honorable mentions: J Dilla, Eric Sermon, Q-Tip, Statik Selektah, Pete Rock, ....

Wabba

I have always put Kanye as the greatest Hip Hop producer. The beats that he made for JayZ was some of the best and the first album has amazing samples. And he continue to evolve even do i prefer his old music and more calm life style.

The next has to be Rick Rubin. A living legend not just in terms of Hip Hop producing.

Some that has to be mention but i don't put in the same category as KW and RR: Dr. Dre, Timbaland, Kno, Just Blaze, Dj Premier.

Here is an amazing hour long interview with DJ Premier and Pete Rock talking about the various great songs they produced. Really good stuff about working with Biggie (around 35 min mark), Nas (27 min), and other legends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTvP6q0SQbA

Very nice because it overlays the interview with whatever record they're talking about.

OP, you can't make a list like this and not have RZA on it. The size of his catalog alone, breh.

Also consider:

Mr. DJ - Producer of most of OutKast and Goodie MoB's stuff.
No I.D. - Heavy influence in Chicago hip-hop (Common, Kanye), Big Sean, Nas and others

Fjordson

Rza.

He crafted complete albums that were classics. Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers, Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Wu-Tang Forever, etc.

This isn't like a hot beat here or there. We're talking about albums where Rza single-handedly crafted 95% of the beats. 100% of the beats in some cases. It's insane how consistent and prolific he was in the 90's. And he was able to bring the beats together to make great, cohesive albums. Not just a couple nice singles or whatever. And those classic Wu albums have very little bullshit filler, so Rza's good beat batting percentage was super high.

Also have to mention his knack for good song sequencing and his use of pop culture samples like movie dialogue to help create narrative. I never really thought of things like story or atmosphere when it came to music until I heard Cuban Linx as a kid. Blew my mind.

I can't really pick out a single favourite. Go listen to any of those prime Wu-Tang albums. They still hold up and still illustrate how great Rza was.

FStop7

Banned
Tough call between Premier, Dre and Dilla.

The best thing about hip hop right now is there are SO many good producers.

Chuckie

I don't know a lot about Hip Hop, so I am not the one who can say who are 'the best'... but my favorite:

RZA
Dre
Timbaland

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
OP, you can't make a list like this and not have RZA on it. The size of his catalog alone, breh.

Also consider:

Mr. DJ - Producer of most of OutKast and Goodie MoB's stuff.
No I.D. - Heavy influence in Chicago hip-hop (Common, Kanye), Big Sean, Nas and others

I made this as a question to find out who everyone liked. Op was supposed to just be my choices, but it got a bit out of hand. I'm planning on going back through here and making it a more complete list with all the suggestions added.

Cedric

In terms of quality, originality, amount of content and consistency, I think the top 5 list is without a doubt (in no particular order): DJ Premier, Pete Rock, RZA, Dr. Dre and J Dilla. I don't think there are any other producers that can match the output of those 5. There are a ton of great hip-hop producers, but these guys are on another level. They are your favorite producer's favorite producers.

After them you have producers like Marley Marl, Large Pro, Q-Tip, Madlib, Just Blaze, Rubin, Kanye, Neptunes, Timabaland etc.

Shout out to Nujabes and MF Doom though, two of my personal favorites.

lil' sample:
J Dilla - Drop
RZA - Guillotine (Swordz)
Pete Rock - The World is Yours
Dr. Dre - Nuthin' but a G thing
DJ Premier - Mass Appeal

Foaloal

Hot Sugar

Hot Sugar, or Nick Koenig, is one of my top 3 favorite modern producers.

The guy is a true artist, and is quite the enigma. Not only does he make music in a wide range of styles including the rap beats he is best known for, but he also produces his own artwork, music videos, and even short films that he has won awards for. I think he has also acted in films and done lots of other work, but he goes out of his way to avoid the spotlight/fame so it's hard to find a lot of information on his work.

He doesn't seem to be trying to be like other people, and has a style and production technique that I think he can truly call his own, which is a major reason why I respect his work so much.

This is his most recently released track - "Trauma". Definitely something different, though it might be hard for others to appreciate as it is solely an instrumental track. If you are looking for an example of how his production shines with a vocalist on it, check this track out; "Leverage" feat. KOOL AD, Fat Tony, Lakutis, and Nasty Nigel. It's pretty lowkey and downplayed, but I think the way he produced a variation of the beat for each artist on the track shows off a small amount of his versatility and adaptability.

My take on "the greats" that people have been repeatedly mentioning in this thread is that they are some of the hardest working/most self-promoting. But when I look at somebody like Dr. Dre I see a very calculated, "by the book" approach to making music, where there are not many risks taken. I can definitely respect people who have mastered this approach to music, as it shows they have put in the time and effort to learn basic/intermediate music theory and have practiced certain ways of adapting that knowledge into catchy and popular songs. You also have to be socially adept to put yourself into a position such as Dr. Dre's, and that deserves a respect of its own.

edit: I forgot to mention that my views might be tinted by the fact that "Dr. Dre" is a style of beat these days, and as such his music surely doesn't sound as fresh or original as it would have when he first came out on the scene. I also haven't listened extensively to his catalog, so if I haven't heard some of his more original/interesting tracks I would appreciate links or titles that might show off his versatility.

Personally, when it comes to the music, I prefer to see people go out on a limb and take chances. I like to see people try things that haven't been done before, or to take novel approaches to things. For example, "Hot Sugar" produced an album entirely(?) with sounds/samples from broken musical equipment. For me, that is more interesting than another "by the books" banger from your favorite producer's favorite producer.

Either way, there are lots of great producers both modern and classic, and even the "by the books" producer have surely inspired a lot of the more "risk taking" ones. Whether you like your music to sound familiar or new, there's something for everybody these days. It's really a great time to be a fan of music.

Timbo
Dr. Dre
Just Blaze
Pete Rock
Premier
Kanye
The Neptunes

Some of my all-time favorites. Blaze is so underrated at times. He's made some of my favorite beats.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE RZA in the OP?

OP one of them NEW Era HIPHOP HEADS?

The Rza is the best of all time. That's right. I fucking said it. Fight me

THIS beat here tho. Is the GOAT Freestyle beat. If you tryna freestyle or cypher with some friends. Put this instrumental on. It is literally the GOAT beat to rap over...

not produced by Rza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEozpYlPL4

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Listening to all the old school producers got me in the mood to make a sampled boom bap beat. I uploaded it to dropbox so I don't really benefit from it. (So I don't get banned for self promotion? If that's a thing?)

Smoking Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom