• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best Hip Hop Producer of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's hard to talk about THE best, but it's impossible to make a top 10 withou at least Dre, Premier, No ID, Timbaland and Kanye. The are pretty much locked in, the rest is prety much arguable.

I had a picture of No ID made up, I just started getting lazy. lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
West Coast hip hop is what brought me into the genre so I've got to go with Dre on this one just so many iconic beats.

J. Bravo

Is that your friend? Beats are pretty cool.

Yeah. I linked him this thread. He has made some really good ones, just gotta get'em out there somehow. He likes making stuff ASAP Mob would rap on I think. And he is pretty good at it. If we knew someone who could rap that would make life a lot easier.

Ray Wonder

Yeah. I linked him this thread. He has made some really good ones, just gotta get'em out there somehow. He likes making stuff ASAP Mob would rap on I think. And he is pretty good at it. If we knew someone who could rap that would make life a lot easier.

It's a very tough line of work. I've been producing for over 10 years now. There's just too much static for artists to find the good producers.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Key Wane is one of my favorites in recent times. I don't think I've ever heard a beat by the man and not like it. Kanye, No ID, Soundtrakk, Timbaland, Dr Dre and Pharrel are all great. Can't forget about the Heatmakerz either, Diplomatic Immunity was something special.

J. Bravo

It's a very tough line of work. I've been producing for over 10 years now. There's just too much static for artists to find the good producers.

Anything you would recommend him to do? How has your producing gone? IS it your career or just a side thing?

MrSeaneyC

Dre, Kanye and Primo for sure are my top 3. So versatile, and in my opinion, Kayne should have stayed behind the desk, definitely appreciate his production more than his vocal work.

Not sure i would consider Timbaland or Neptunes, you can spot their beats a mile off, and not in a good "this is a slick production with a good sound" kind of way, more of a "this song sounds exactly like this other song". Timbaland is especially guilty of this with his work around early 2000s. Sure they're still decent tunes with grat production values. I just feel like he called in some of the drum lines which just makes me think he was lazy! (Obviously he's not)

Laekon

I'm not into hip hop so maybe I'm lacking some knowledge but how can you be the producer to your own song? Aren't you just the artist?

If you write, produce, and perform a track that makes you an artist to me. People like Kanye and Dre are great because they create the whole thing themselves(most of the time). If you are just the vocals of a song written and produced by Pharrell then your just a performer. There are tons of performers but very few artist.

Ray Wonder

Anything you would recommend him to do? How has your producing gone? IS it your career or just a side thing?

It was my career for about a year. It's very tough to keep up money with monthly bills unless you have a huge hit. I still do it on the side now for extra money. I would recommend to him to look up mastering and mixing. Those can't be overlooked. If he doesn't have the right mix, I can pick out a novice from a pro in an instant. After that, I say practice more, and keep searching for drum samples. I know it may seem like he's been making beats long enough to make it. He has a long way to go.

As far as getting placements, it's very tough. That's where either advertising on a site like soundclick, or elsewhere really helps. I got a placement with Three 6 Mafia in 09 because of soundclick. Song didn't go anywhere except youtube though.

Search for artists that are big locally, and get in contact with them. I don't mean locally around him, I mean locally in any area. Look up (Any area) local rap. Find someone that seems to be professional enough, and has a good enough sound. Send them music. If you get your music out far enough, it starts doing the work for you.

If the artist isn't amazing, and they say something along the lines of "I got a connect with Joey Bada$$ can I get a beat." Tell em to prove it, or go away. There are a million and a half lying people trying to get hand outs.

Hopefully that helps.\

EDIT: Here are a couple songs I've produced.

Eighty4 Fly - Loud

Drift Away

Vossen Wheels video.. Song starts at 0:40

Three 6 Mafia - Unite (I don't really like the beat anymore. It's old now.)

Servbot24

Banned
Kanye has been out of producing so long I don't know if I could vote for him, even though I would have voted for him at some point.

bryehn

DJ Premier
Dan the Automator
RJD2
DJ Shadow
DJ Kno

I like these choices a lot. I'd add RZA, Luv Bug, Jazzy Jeff, MMM, Swizz Beatz, Kid Koala, Aarabmusik...too many to count really. A good hip hop producer can champion or pioneer a new way of looking at the genre and production techniques.

J. Bravo

It was my career for about a year. It's very tough to keep up money with monthly bills unless you have a huge hit. I still do it on the side now for extra money. I would recommend to him to look up mastering and mixing. Those can't be overlooked. If he doesn't have the right mix, I can pick out a novice from a pro in an instant. After that, I say practice more, and keep searching for drum samples. I know it may seem like he's been making beats long enough to make it. He has a long way to go.

As far as getting placements, it's very tough. That's where either advertising on a site like soundclick, or elsewhere really helps. I got a placement with Three 6 Mafia in 09 because of soundclick. Song didn't go anywhere except youtube though.

Search for artists that are big locally, and get in contact with them. I don't mean locally around him, I mean locally in any area. Look up (Any area) local rap. Find someone that seems to be professional enough, and has a good enough sound. Send them music. If you get your music out far enough, it starts doing the work for you.

If the artist isn't amazing, and they say something along the lines of "I got a connect with Joey Bada$$ can I get a beat." Tell em to prove it, or go away. There are a million and a half lying people trying to get hand outs.

Hopefully that helps.\

EDIT: Here are a couple songs I've produced.

Eighty4 Fly - Loud

Drift Away

Vossen Wheels video.. Song starts at 0:40

Three 6 Mafia - Unite (I don't really like the beat anymore. It's old now.)

Amazing, thank you sir. I will forward this post to him. I think you and I have talked about this before because I remember that Three 6 Mafia story. Thanks a lot man.

RP912

Banned
El-P has been great for so long

I agree with this along with...

Just Blaze
Just-Blaze_5.13.14.jpg

Madlib
309776_10150394029942075_6232872074_8572299_1437750717_n.jpg

and J Dilla (RIP)
300x300.jpg

these dudes along with EL-P can create some magical music without fail. I haven't heard a bad beat from these four dudes.

RP912

Banned
Rick Rubin is a good example of best producer as well. He can create any damn thing from a r and b song to a country song.

Shame that Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind doesn't make beats no more...dude was amazing on the boards at one point of his career.

Scott Storch deserves more love IMO. While his reign was brief (apparently he's staging an EDM comeback, lol) ...the guy was a nonstop hit machine in the early 00's. Quite a few memorable beats.

RZA holds a place in my heart because I adore the freshman Wu albums and some of the offshoots (Gravediggas in particular). I lost love with whatever came after Bobby Digital, though.

Overall Dre for me. Nobody has had the run he has, and he's still at it. I've been listening to Dre beats since i first heard Express Yourself. I was 9.

esms

Rick Rubin is a good example of best producer as well. He can create any damn thing from a r and b song to a country song.

Shame that Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind doesn't make beats no more...dude was amazing on the boards at one point of his career.

I completely forgot about Stoupe. I loved all the beats he made for JMT when he was a member.

RP912

Banned
Does Diddy count?

I'm also partial to The Bomb Squad and Primo.

Diddy.......no. When I think of Diddy, I think of the hitmen which no lie made some good shit.

Another nomination is Beats by the Pound. Despite the hatred to No Limit, their beats were always amazing. I like how they had different styles but form together to make one unique beat.

jesu

In no particular order...

Chief Xcel - Blackalicious
I like Lyrics Born, I assume he is his own producer?
Dr Dre
Clifton "Jiggs" Chase - Sugarhill Gang
Afrika Bambaataa
Prince Paul - De La Soul
Cut Chemist - Jurassic 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom