• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best Hip Hop Producer of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nns3d

Nice to see DJ Quik get a shoutout.

I feel like Johnny J would get more props had he worked with more popular artists other than Tupac.

Timbo
Dr. Dre
Just Blaze
Pete Rock
Premier
Kanye
The Neptunes

Some of my all-time favorites. Blaze is so underrated at times. He's made some of my favorite beats.

This is how my list would go to. I'd add MF Doom on there as well.

edit; I forgot all about Alchemist too! There are so many amazing producers that have gone over my head. Raphael Saadiq has some good ones too.

D'Angelo - Lady (I know this is RnB but just wanted to throw this in lol :p)

5 years ago I would have said Dre, Timbo would have been high on that list as well.

But when you dig deep and listen to how much they just straight up jacked without changing much, if anything at all. They don't even make my top 5 anymore.

Premo for me, the man could work magic with samples.

Instrumental wise IMO Shadow is top 3 just for endtroducing alone
Endtroducingcover.jpg

Rick Rubin is a good example of best producer as well. He can create any damn thing from a r and b song to a country song.

Shame that Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind doesn't make beats no more...dude was amazing on the boards at one point of his career.

I completely forgot about Stoupe. I loved all the beats he made for JMT when he was a member.

His best work is between Violent by Design and Rip the Jacker. Dude did justice to those throwaway Canibus verses.

Man, Stoupe back in the VbD days was so on point. I need to revisit Rip the Jacker some day. I don't remember that one too well but I love Violent by Design. He sampled a line from Antz. So great.

Two other names I haven't heard of in a while:
1. The Bass Brothers - their work with Eminem was so good on SSLP and MMLP1.
2. Mel Man - seems like he helped Dre on 2001 and SSLP/MMLP, did a song on Xzibit's album that was nice, then I haven't heard from him. Sad. :(

RP912

Banned
Man, Stoupe back in the VbD days was so on point. I need to revisit Rip the Jacker some day. I don't remember that one too well but I love Violent by Design. He sampled a line from Antz. So great.

Two other names I haven't heard of in a while:
1. The Bass Brothers - their work with Eminem was so good on SSLP and MMLP1.
2. Mel Man - seems like he helped Dre on 2001 and SSLP/MMLP, did a song on Xzibit's album that was nice, then I haven't heard from him. Sad. :(

Everytime I think of Mel Man I think of the song he did for the Aftermath album. It was actually pretty good despite the fact that he sucks on the mic.

BlueWord

First post gets it. Even Kanye has paid respect to this guy. A true genius, and a great tragedy that his life was cut short.

Dre, RZA, Dilla, DJ Quik, Kanye, Q-Tip, Pete Rock, Timbaland, Premier, Rick Rubin, Just Blaze, Nujabes.
Im on a hardcore Nujabes/ DJ Quick bend right now.

He's good, but not good enough to hang with the greats.
Same reason I left Large Professor off my list.

no way.

No I.D. is up there. Not only because of what he has done himself, but because of what he has Influenced and taught.

Kanye wouldn't be the Kanye he is today without No I.D.'s tutelage

Fantomex

Name any hot producer besides Dre and Premier for the last 15 years, and you'll find they were influenced by this man.

Without him there is no Just Blaze, No ID, Kanye, 9th Wonder, 40, Hit Boy etc.

RayMaker

Banned
Kayne West is the worst ever because he included his terrible voice in his songs.He just sounds like a drunk guy with no melody or rhythm, he sounds awful.

Dre is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom