• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your favorite 80's film douchebag character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodrage

Banned
JohnBender.jpg

Why did the 80's perfect the smarmy douche bag character? Was it all because of John Hughes? I think the proto 80's smarmy douche bags were the Deltas in Animal House, written by John Hughes.

2+ pages and no mention of the asshole in Teen Wolf? I think his name was Mitch.
Sure he's a douchebag, but who the hell actually likes that guy, let alone call him their favorite douchebag? You're not even sure what his name is, yourself. And you expect other people to?

edit: Not trying to bust your balls, but I took the OP to mean "favorite douchebag" as in you actually like the character and might even root for them to win. I actually love Chet's character. Same with Biff.

Since Sho'Nuff was already mentioned....

file_198151_0_Full_Metal_Jacket_R_Lee_Ermey.jpg

You must be confusing 'douchebag' with 'badass'. :p

I also agree with the OP: Billy Zabka is the DoucheLord of the '80s.

The trifecta:

i7V5q9b.jpg

Johnny Lawrence in The Karate Kid.

DX1FZZK.jpg

Greg Tolan in Just One of the Guys

rJoTof1.jpg

Chas in Back to School

However, there is a bit of redemption for Zabka.

0gVrNQb.jpg

Jack in National Lampoon's European Vacation

He gets good guy points for dating Clark's monstrous daughter (even though he does dump her ass part-way through).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sure he's a douchebag, but who the hell actually likes that guy, let alone call him their favorite douchebag? You're not even sure what his name is, yourself. And you expect other people to?

edit: Not trying to bust your balls, but I took the OP to mean "favorite douchebag" as in you actually like the character and might even root for them to win. I actually love Chet's character. Same with Biff.

It's Mick. I looked it up. I think he deserves mention because he actually tells Michael J. Fox that he killed his mother for stealing chickens (presumably when she was a werewolf). Plus he was dirtier than Lambeir on the basketball court.

Speaking of Karate Kid, Johnny wasn't even the douchiest guy in the movie. That honor went to Chad McQueen as Dutch. Guy deserved the main villain role. He was so effective with the bit parts he played.

EKvgz6u.jpg

Speaking of Karate Kid, Johnny wasn't even the douchiest guy in the movie. That honor went to Chad McQueen as Dutch. Guy deserved the main villain role. He was so effective with the bit parts he played.

EKvgz6u.jpg

Ok, you know, I see it.

Johnny was just a cocky dickhead. He even showed at the end he had a heart buried somewhere in there.

Dutch had that legitimate 'murderer' vibe about him.

rbenchley

There have been some excellent selections in this thread, but I can't believe no one has picked the late, great Paul Gleason.

Paul_Gleason_Breakfast_Club.jpg

Aside from his iconic role in The Breakfast Club, he did fine work playing an asshole in Trading Places, Die Hard, and Johnny Be Good.

acrid

Banned
The 1980's was home to some of the all-time biggest douchebags and bullies to ever grace the silver screen. Back then, high school bullies in film were laughably evil and divinely detestable. They'd dropkick a kitten just for the fun of it before laughing maniacally and high-fiving their troupe of cronies and stealing a begrudging smooch from the hottest girl in school. So, GAF, who was your favorite of all the 80's film douchebags?

Mine is probably a popular choice, but I'll be going with the great Billy Zabka in his transcendant role in Just One of the Guys.

greg.jpg

Billy Zabka as Greg Tolan

To me, this was the pinnacle of high school bullies in film. Zabka set a high bar here that was never surpassed in my mind, which isn't surprising given the fact that he made a career on playing douchebags in the 80's and 90's. You might also remember him as the Cobra Kai hotshot that pesters Daniel-san throughout the entirety of Karate Kid (pictured below). I'm going with his role in Just One of the Guys over that one because he actually shows some hesitation and remorse when instructed to "sweep the leg" in his final battle with Daniel-san. There are no such chinks in his douchebag armor in Just One of the Guys, which is why it gets my top spot.

billy20zabka.jpg

William Zabka as John "Johnny" Lawrence

The thread should've ended here. This is the ICON of 80's douchebag.

shuri

Banned
You must be confusing 'douchebag' with 'badass'. :p

I also agree with the OP: Billy Zabka is the DoucheLord of the '80s

0gVrNQb.jpg

Jack in National Lampoon's European Vacation

He gets good guy points for dating Clark's monstrous daughter (even though he does dump her ass part-way through.
Eh, be cool, she died like a few year after the movie from some illness :( poor girl probably had the time of her life doing that movie

I love this thread.

Stand By Me:
Stand+By+Me+2.jpg

Ferris Bueller
3880193_std.jpg

MallRats
OK, it was 90's but Ben Affleck makes a great asshole
mallrats-1995--00.jpg

Dickless
ghostbusters-20090702101439824-000.jpg

Doug Neidermeyer
Neidermeyer.jpg

Rhodes from day of the dead what a POS when he took off in the golf cart that probably was slower than as if he was actually running . I would post a pic but I don't know how from my phone is it possible ??

Burt

God, any other answer is just so unbelievably wrong. I'm not saying there weren't other greats, but... come on, Ellis, buhbie. Also, Biff went to my high school and came back for a Back to the Future themed pep rally one year. Was awesome.

Top 3:

3) Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago: He kills a man within the first 10 minutes of his acting career and is part of one of the most awesome training montages known to mankind

2) Biff Tannen: He is such an asshole that he got three different characters to show off how much off a jerk he is...

1) Zabka...nothing beats Zabka...

jfoul

Almost all of the best have already been mentioned, but Shooter McGavin transcends time.

WjVrr10.png

I also just re-watched Over the Top recently. Bob "Bull" Hurley.
ZM0leaK.png

Damon Killian
iJI04uz.png

R.J. Fletcher
mIw2fov.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom