• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who remembers the glorious Half-Life 1 PS2 port?

Ceadeus

Very good port for its time!

Best Half life graphic for the time too, I had a lot of fun with this and Red Faction.

Glowsquid

Doom 3 was extremely good on the OG Xbox. The levels were truncated, but many (myself included) feel this actually improved the experience as what was removed was largely aimless meandering

lol, I thought I was the only one to think that!

I was surprised when playing the PC version to find the chainsaw zombie "ghost" in Delta Labs 4 was something created for the xbox port. It was such a cool detail!

lazygecko

Maybe he wants the added stuff they did with geometry/etc, with the upscaled 1080p/60 and trophies? ;p

The updated models originally developed for the DC version were also released as a patch for the PC version. For some reason these aren't ignored in the Source port of the game.

The updated models originally developed for the DC version were also released as a patch for the PC version. For some reason these aren't ignored in the Source port of the game.

The HD models were released with the Blue Shift expansion for the PC originally. Both Blue Shift and the HD models were originally planned as Dreamcast exclusive content, but the cancellation of the DC game cause Blue Shift to be pushed over to the PC along with the HD model pack.

The HD models can be enabled in the current version of Half-Life for the PC (non source port) by just enabling them in the video options menu. But they are the default models for the HL Source port.

lazygecko

The HD models were released with the Blue Shift expansion for the PC originally. Both Blue Shift and the HD models were originally planned as Dreamcast exclusive content, but the cancellation of the DC game cause Blue Shift to be pushed over to the PC along with the HD model pack.

The HD models can be enabled in the current version of Half-Life for the PC (non source port) by just enabling them in the video options menu. But they are the default models for the HL Source port.

Hmm. I was watching Yahtzee play the Source version of HL1 recently and it looked like the models were the original 1998 ones.

Genio88

Didn't even remember it, i played the Xbox one of Half Life 2, wasn't as good as the PC version of course, which i played a bit later

Daingurse

Yeah this game was awesome. Had a lot of fun in the coop Decay mode. Wish this shit would have hit the Dreamcast. As a kid, I was really looking forward to it. The port was featured heavily in Official Dreamcast Magazine back in the day.

Hmm. I was watching Yahtzee play the Source version of HL1 recently and it looked like the models were the original 1998 ones.

I just loaded up HL: Source and there is a toggle option to turn off and on the HD models. But I swear, that never used to be the case.

Valve actually tried to update the textures for HL Source to HD. I posted about this a few years ago (3 now, jeez) : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82941665&postcount=17

These texture updates were official from Valve too and part of one of their betas. But they removed them since then.

Johndoey

Banned
Ps2 Half Life was my shit. I remember trying and failing to use my busted up gameshark disc to turn on cheats before every session.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it would render natively at any res he wants on PC

I was talking the geometry/better models (not resolution being better than PC, but better than the PS2), but someone mentioned they were added in a patch on the PC (which I vaguely remember now). I have not played the first HL since playing it again after HL2 came out, and I never played the Source version since I got tired waiting when it was initially announced and it just became and afterthought. It is on my STEAM, just never launched.

And my comment was jokingly about trophies, etc.

I recently aquired the ps2 version but I've never played it. I played it on PC back in the day and played a fair amount of the dreamcast version. good times.

gdt

I played it first on a beat up PC. But when I got a PS2 I remember getting this version too. Beat it and everything. I remember it being an ok port.

Slermy

I remember hearing this was just a quick port of the cancelled Dreamcast port. Can anyone on GAF confirm this? PC to PS2 ports in this time were fascinating; that Deus Ex port is real weird but interesting nonetheless.

They were at least a bit different.

The PS2 one had the co-op "Decay" campaign, while the Dreamcast one had the single player expansion "Blue Shift".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Don't forget aside from Decay, PS2 also included a Vortigaunt mode.

It wasn't that fun, but it was a cute novelty.

It would have been the greatest port ever if it included Opposing Force.

lazygecko

I just now realize that for the shot of that headcrab zombie on the box art, they had to go and sit in front of the one spazzing out in the chair in front of the laptop at the start of the game, and for some reason I find that notion hilarious.

You mean the Dreamcast port that was canceled on the day it was supposed to ship to stores that was then later reported to the PS2?

What do you mean I still sound bitter? I'm not bitter, you're bitter!

I actually bought this abomination. Can't really remember the performance being too bad. . . . I was just so desperate to experience it and had no gaming PC. Felt bad.
Heh I bought it too way back in 06. I didn't have a pc nor an Xbox but I was gifted a 360 and instead of playing oblivion and graw I played everything I could that I missed from the Xbox library.

I finally got a 'decent' pc which I then got a 7600gs for so I could play the orange box in 07. Ran like shit but it was a revelation for me.

Hesh

This is how I played Half-life. I was super stoked for the Dreamcast version so when that got canceled this became a swell consolation prize. I never beat it, though. I remember going through the portal to Xenu or whatever, fighting some big rhino alien thing and then getting lost on a big floating platform. I thought I broke the game and stopped playing after that. Years later I watched a speedrun on Youtube and saw that I missed some sort of hole I was supposed to go into and missed a huge chunk of the game after that point, like a third or quarter.

Guess Who

Banned
This is how I played Half-life. I was super stoked for the Dreamcast version so when that got canceled this became a swell consolation prize. I never beat it, though. I remember going through the portal to Xenu or whatever, fighting some big rhino alien thing and then getting lost on a big floating platform. I thought I broke the game and stopped playing after that. Years later I watched a speedrun on Youtube and saw that I missed some sort of hole I was supposed to go into and missed a huge chunk of the game after that point, like a third or quarter.

The Zen parts of the game suck anyway, so you didn't miss much.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This is one of the only games to make me feel sick when I played it.

I had to stop.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Incidentally, the Xbox having a fraction of the RAM the PC version required necessitated the development of a rudimentary data streaming system specifically for the port, which, for some reason, never made it into the PC branches of Source.

Hmmm... someone with a modded X-box could probably reverse engineer the source and backport it to Source, yeah?

Top Bottom