• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who/What started the mana = blue trend?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd assume primary colour.

Red is colour of health... so choose between Yellow or Blue. Blue shows up better

Real mana is blue.

It's a good color for magic. It might be because I'm used to it, but it's the natural color I think of for magic. Maybe it contrasts with red, which both grabs attention and is the color of hearts (the older health symbol). You won't confuse a blue meter with your health that way.

Just a guess, but in many cultures water was spiritually speaking a source of power, life essence, the elemental force yadda yadda.

Aurongel

As stated above, blue contrasts red which has been the color symbolizing health for literally centuries. Not much to dig into past that.

HorseFD

I don't know what game started the trend, but I'd guess it's simply because health is red and blue looks good with red and stands out against it.

120v

technically probably started with some crpg from the late 80s/early 90s

seems like the next logical step from red/health, so i don't think it has a particularly interesting origin story

I always related it to Magic the Gathering since most a lot of blue spells had that alchemical feel but I'm sure it was well before that. Just always what popped in my head

MoonFrog

Mana is green at times too, no? Zelda is what comes to mind atm.

Tbh I generally think magic=green probably because of aLttP. But it is blue a lot. I just played Ori and it was blue there, for example.

As to non-red health...Ori also had green health. Also playing Ys I in Ys complete and that has yellow health that turns red as you get hurt. Playing DMC on/off atm too and I think that's also green health?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Mana bar is blue in Ultima Underworld from 1992. That's the earliest one that I personally know of. Probably earlier ones.

With things like this, there's usually no singular answer. It is probably a combination of things like RGB color output being the base, cultural standards where the games are developed, one or two really successful games adopting it and everyone else following the trend until it became the standard, and the extra contrast provided to those that are at least partially colorblind. Red/Green Colorblindness (Deuteranopia) is the most common type.

Beilttog

probably due to laziness on programmers part when setting up color using rgb line easier to just 255 red and green default health blue popular color.

Quick google earliest examples I could find (edited a few times as I kept searching):

- Gauntlet (1985) used blue for potions ... but it wasn't for magic or mana. Just note it as the earliest example of blue being used for anything magical or potion bottle related though, as most RPGs were pretty text-based and often used Dungeons & Dragons esque MP-text for magic.
- Rogue (1986 on Atari) used blue for all potions, too.
- Zelda 2 (1987)... not really... it was white but with a blue outline, whereas health did not have a blue outline. And I think magic containers were red. So sort of used 'blue' unique to magic but not primarily or exclusively.
- Golden Axe 1 (1989) and 2 (1991) used blue potions for magic but also blue bars for health
- Golden Axe Warrior (1991) had blue potions has 'hearts' for magic but switched from blue bars to red hearts for health (it was kinda Zelda clone)
- Wizardry 7 (1992) added blue bars (the previous games used text or red/yellow bars)
- Ultima Underworld (1992) also used blue potion glass (whereas regular Ultima did not)
- Elder Scrolls 1 (1994) had a blue bar for magic.
- Diablo (1996) maybe the first time blue was used specifically for "mana"?
- Might and Magic 7 (1998) added individual character blue bars

I think quite a few classic 80s/90s PC RPGs mostly went from pure text to blue for 'magic.' I guess Golden Axe Warrior may be the first one to really use blue potions for magic points, and Diablo the first one to use blue for "mana." Blue for magic in general seems like how most games changed once they moved on from text-based magic/mana stats. Feel like I remember one that used yellow stars though.

//edit/// Verdre remembered Ultima Underworld that's an important one too... I had double checked all the Ultima games haha but I totally forgot about UW.

Golden Axe Warrior on SEGA Master System in 1991 is the earliest example I could find that actually had blue pots representing health instead of just numbers.

goldenaxewarrior-5.png

I know Dungeon Master in 1987 was one of the first games to use mana points but it's represented with the same color as health and stamina depending on the character in the party.

Also mana and manna are two separate concepts. Mana is Polynesian in origin.

qko

Diablo 1?

My first guess was this.

EDIT: like I won't get into an argument over it, but this was the first time I remember a game refer to "Mana" and use blue to represent it. It's interesting to see other people post info that predates this.

My first guess was this.

EDIT: like I won't get into an argument over it, but this was the first time I remember a game refer to "Mana" and use blue to represent it. It's interesting to see other people post info that predates this.
Diablo's system was almost certainly influenced by Ultima underground's use of it. I think there are even earlier examples of blue being used to represent Mana than Ultima and Golden Axe Warrior but they were blue potions in inventories. I think the eye of the beholder games had blue Mana potions.

MoonFrog

Is Phoenix Wright running on health or mana?

Psyche locks suggest mana. Trials suggest the bar measures the judge's patience.

It certainly doesn't go down when you're whipped or have coffee thrown at you, though. So probably not health.

Top Bottom