• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people no longer having sex in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8kzi42t.jpg

wvjdLIw.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjGHKKA0ec

How can his girl watch and help TIME him masterbating right in her face!?!? I mean she sits there and helps him time but doesn't offer a helping hand?
or mouth

W.... T.... F Japan? Wtf...

Giolon

This is pretty much how I imagine most people who are into Japanese cartoons, comics, video games, and whatnot, including those on GAF with anime avatars...

So what does that say about your Lebowsky anime avatar?

On topic, on of my co-workers is from Japan, came to the US for college, and she married here and had a kid. Our company asked her to go assist at our Japanese office for a few years, and while she agreed bc she was one of like two Japanese speaking employees that was an expert on the product, she told me she couldn't handle going back and staying in Japan where women are expected to be quiet. Fortunately, our office there. Is run relatively American style. Even my male colleagues that I've come to know over there say they can never go back to working for a Japanese company.

Place is crazy. That part about 20-hour work days isn't off. Though it's really more like 16 hour work day, then 4-8 hours of drinking with your boss and co-workers bc nobody can leave before the boss and you are expected to go out and drink afterwards bc if you don't you're considered an antisocial weirdo.

Dram

Oh, condoms are pretty widely accessible but that's about it. There was no sexual revolution of women finding freedom through the pill. According to some of my friends, it's considered "romantic" not to use contraception anyway :/

So if they get pregnant, they just end up getting married?

fertygo

I get being afraid to become housewives is legit concern, but aren't "Don't being too old before married" are also popular mindset on there, no?

I have to laugh at the term "parasaito shingurus" - parasite singles.

Facetious comments aside, this issue is more a symptom of the corporate work culture they have and the economic realities of the younger folks. We see similar behavior (but not to the extreme that Japan faces due to other cultural factors) in American and western European societies. The fact that people are required to have a 2 income household to raise a child and maintain a standard of living they're used to makes it more likely that they will decide to hold back on having kids or have less kids or have no kids at all as we see with the Japanese.

This is something people always ignore. It isn't realistic to have both the wife and husband work. Women want to be independent, they aren't submissive (which is a good thing) and because of that the way society used to work is completely fucked up. Conservatives say "its a culture problem", bullshit its a human problem.

akira28

they forgot to add the last part of the sentence: "with Japanese people." Perhaps that former culturally insular society is working against them now.

Interesting article. I think it will take some time for the situation to improve. Something as expansive as workplace culture will likely take years to produce some kind of measurable change across the country. Legislation could probably be passed sooner rather than later but then there's the prevalent negative attitudes about women in the workplace that will take time to turn around as well.

I already expected this from the thread title, but it's disappointing to see so many people not even read the article in favour of spouting the usual nonsense while high-fiving eachother.

Yup mexicans are like rabbits. My grandma had 22 kids and like 6 died at birth

My grandma had 9, each had at least 2, most of them got pregnant around 14-17. my mom kinda distanced herself from everyone and had a kid at 25 after she had a good paying job, its kinda scary to visit my family now and watch the cycle continue, cousins are broke as fuck, dropped out of highschool, and pregnant at 15.

edit: SHIT IM NOT STEREOTYPING A RACES BIRTH RATE OR ANYTHING IM JUST SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF MY GHETTO ASS FAMILY SORRY IF IT SEEMED OTHERWISE.

rpmurphy

I love stereotyping.

Anyway, fly me over there.
You guys willing to move to Japan, find stable work, get married and raise a family? The problem isn't just about sexual gratification with a partner. That's superficial and the problems leading to low birth rates are deep. The article puts out insights, most of them commonly known already, but a very good summary nonetheless, and well-written.

mexico's fertility rate isn't that high at 2.28. maybe in the past it was high but its dropping and will continue to drop.
Well she was like 80
RIP :'(
My grandma had 9, each had at least 2, most of them got pregnant around 14-17. my mom kinda distanced herself from everyone and had a kid at 25 after she had a good paying job, its kinda scary to visit my family now and watch the cycle continue, cousins are broke as fuck, dropped out of highschool, and pregnant at 15.
On average my aunts had 3 i think. I feel your sentiments, my family is fucked economically. Out of all i think only like 4 have graduated from hs inluding myself. Its whatever though not my problem

Soriku

You guys willing to move to Japan, find stable work, get married and raise a family? The problem isn't just about sexual gratification with a partner. That's superficial and the problems leading to low birth rates are deep. The article puts out insights, most of them commonly known already, but a very good summary nonetheless, and well-written.

Course not. That's not really the point though, lol.

Spinluck

I've always wanted to visit Japan, always found their culture fascinating.

But hearing things like this, along with the other social obstacles they have over there is depressing.

I've always wanted to visit Japan, always found their culture fascinating.

But hearing things like this, along with the other social obstacles they have over there is depressing.

There are so many pretty girls on the streets. It's shocking that they don't get any love. Come On GAF. Do your work!

Yours,

Franck

ЯAW

Banned
Would be interesting to see what % of these people living the sekkusu shinai shokogun life-style lives in Tokyo. Seems like the stressful work culture doesn't exists in all of Japan. Cities/towns in Kyushu and Okinawa at least felt a lot more relaxing then for example Tokyo and Osaka.

There are so many pretty girls on the streets. It's shocking that they don't get any love. Come On GAF. Do your work!

Yours,

Franck
According to OP, many of them don't want "love".

45% of Japanese women aged 16-24 are ‘not interested in or despise sexual contact’

MilkBeard

This is quite an interesting topic to read. I also read that article about 'man children' in the western cultures that someone posted earlier. Interesting stuff, and I see it to be true here.

(I'm kinda that way...sort of...although it's more complicated than that)

Don't forget that currently the average Japanese man isn't financially able to support a family either. Poster after poster keeps skipping over that.

This isn't just a one gender problem that happened overnight. This is stemming back from the 80s and 90s bubble and has gotten more extreme to the point where the current generation isn't playing ball. Check my post above.
What are you talking about? Of course the average Japanese man isn't financially able to support a family on his own! That's a huge part of the problem, of course, as I said.

The problem is that in the modern world, one income is not enough for a family, and many women want more than to just be a housewife, while the more sexist societies (Japan, South Korea, etc., as I said) put serious barriers in the way of greater equality which make women not want to have children. And the fact is, it's women more so than men who have the greater say in whether a couple has children, particularly in the modern world where people know what contraception is. But regardless of who's choice it is, people, or couples, will not have children if they don't think it's financially possible to support them -- and in a country as sexist about the idea of married women working as Japan is, that's a huge, huge problem when one income is not, and will not be, enough to support a family.

Japan hates immigrants.
That's another big part of the problem -- Japan, and some of the other countries with the lowest birthrates too (South Korea again is right there with them on this), hates immigrants (in the name of 'national purity' and the like), so they cannot fill in some of the gap with immigrants from countries with higher birthrates. It makes a the problem much worse.

Ferrio

Banned
ЯAW;86840113 said:
Would be interesting to see what % of these people living the sekkusu shinai shokogun life-style lives in Tokyo. Seems like the stressful work culture doesn't exists in all of Japan. Cities/towns in Kyushu and Okinawa at least felt a lot more relaxing then for example Tokyo and Osaka.

According to OP, many of them don't want "love".

45% of Japanese women aged 16-24 are ‘not interested in or despise sexual contact’

Pfft. 16-24. I'd bag an older japanese woman anyways, they still look like they're in their early 20s.

zhorkat

Really interesting article. It sucks for the people that have to deal with a bunch of economic and social realities that are clashing in such a way as to make eschewing all romantic relationships a rational choice. Hopefully they manage to do something to actually change things and don't just get trapped in the current status quo.

Does the government not care about the diminishing population of young people? I'm surprised it hasn't started some sort of an initiative/program that subsidizes/somehow helps working moms to encourage career women to start a family without losing their jobs.

Your so lucky you're there :-(

So boring here.

I'm not living there. It just caught my eye when I did vacation in Japan once. Even my wife said many look really damn hot. It's a shame they don't care about sex. The girls have amazing bodies. Just use them already.

Yours,

Franck

ЯAW

Banned
Does the government not care about the diminishing population of young people? I'm surprised it hasn't started some sort of an initiative/program that subsidizes/somehow helps working moms to encourage career women to start a family without losing their jobs.

There has been many initiatives and more are planned, but these things don't change over night.

Supposedly they are streamlining a national day care program to make having babies seem more desirable. You could also argue if the government improves the economic situation over there that would go a long way as to encouraging people to start marrying and starting families.

watershed

Banned
ЯAW;86840737 said:
There has been many initiatives and more are planned, but these things don't change over night.

Can you give an idea of what those incentives are? I'm curious how a government can encourage sex and procreation. Rebates? Amazing tax breaks? PR campaigns?

Big-E

I'm not living there. It just caught my eye when I did vacation in Japan once. Even my wife said many look really damn hot. It's a shame they don't care about sex. The girls have amazing bodies. Just use them already.

Yours,

Franck

I spent some time in Osaka and I was shocked how ugly the girls were. Every girl I saw had caked on makeup that made them look hideous. In Tokyo that got balanced out but Osaka was weird. Short skirts and a kg of makeup on so many women.

I was making more stereotype jokes, being facetious. There really needs to be a font for sarcasm.

As far as what is killing libido I think the article hits on some points, especially about sexism in the workplace. It's not really just ire towards men I'm guessing, from what I've heard from friends who live or have lived there careers are just so exhausting that finding time to nurture relationships is difficult.

I'll do my duties as a human being and help the japanese in this time of crisis, i only ask that i get to pick who receives my seed
I spent some time in Osaka and I was shocked how ugly the girls were. Every girl I saw had caked on makeup that made them look hideous. In Tokyo that got balanced out but Osaka was weird. Short skirts and a kg of makeup on so many women.
Welp nvm

I see. But it makes sense of course. We were only running around through Tokyo. Of course they pay a little more attention over there I guess.Let's hope the people will be able to solve their problems in the future. Don't want them to end up like pandas (as someone already mentioned here).

Yours,

Franck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom