• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't I ever finish GBA games?

I've noticed that the backlash for GBA games is much greater than the backlash for console games. For example I remember when Golden Sun (1 and 2), Bokti and Final Fantasy Tactics were released, everyone was dotting over how awsome they were. Fast forward to today and the general consensus is they suck.

For me, it's hard to spend money on GBA games because opinions of them are so mixed and they change often. Not to mention they're rarely discussed. I need to stop basing my buying habits off of forum discussion. : ( Still I buy enough GBA games to have a backlog of unfinished ones.

I never usually have a backlog of unfinished console games, but I have a shit load of unfinished, great GBA games including Mario and Luigi, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Tactics Ogre, Boktai, Secret of Mana, and more.

A few games I never bought, but have continued interest in:

Zelda: The Minish Cap
Final Fantasy 1&2
Astroboy (Played a little bit, but the whole collection aspects of games like this and Mega Man Zero piss me off)
Metal Slug Advance
Fire Emblem 2
Super Monkey Ball Junior

What are the best games out on GBA, regardless of genre, that someone with such a short GBA attention span might be able to finish?

GBA games are super fun. You probably suck at games. No shame though. Just keep pressing A+B a lot of times and maybe you'll win. That said, Advance Wars 1 is the best GBA and 5th best vid game of all time period...stop bleeding. Bye!

Ironclad

I wouldn't recommend Super Monkey Ball Junior because the framerate cannot keep up with the game. It chugs, horribly. Other than that, I would recommend you to be all of those games as they are somem of the best you will find on the system. You've got some great games in that backlog of yours as well, you should definitely finish those before buying new ones. I tell you this yet I do the samething
:(

King Jippo said:
GBA games are super fun. You probably suck at games. No shame though. Just keep pressing A+B a lot of times and maybe you'll win. That said, Advance Wars 1 is the best GBA and 5th best vid game of all time period...stop bleeding. Bye!

No, I don't suck at games. I've finished every console game I own. The ones with adjustable difficulty levels, I've finished on the hardest settings. I just get bored after hunching over a small screen for hours, or I go a long time without playing the games and end up being uninterested when I come back to them.

You probably just suck at life, start bleeding. Bye.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
platformers. beat a level then switch it of. replaying levels and learning the secrets is great. most fun I've had on gba is

minish cap
super mario 3
donkey kong country 2.

and advance wars.

demi said:
Will you sell it to me? You'll have my address, you can stalk me or send me fanmail.

I don't have Fire Emblem 2, only the first one which I only got to Mission 20.

How many missions are there anyway?

demi

About 30. I'm on 6!

You should give me your address anyway, so I can come to your house when you are of age. :)

callous

Lemurnator said:
I need to stop basing my buying habits off of forum discussion. : (

Lemurnator said:
What are the best games out on GBA, regardless of genre, that someone with such a short GBA attention span might be able to finish?

Does not compute.

Seriously, you need to go with your own first piece of advice. GAF is ALL over the place when it comes to recommendations. Don't go by it. Read reviews, rent the games .. anything but GAF, unless 3 people who consistently have the same taste as you recommend you a game. GAF recommendations are much too coloured with what's cool to say and personal agendas.

iclash

Man, Final Fantasy Tactics sucks? Granted its not as good as the original but I thought the game was great fun in its own right. I put at least 100 hours into that game. Its the only GBA game I found myself playing when I wasn't on the go...by the way, if you want to finish more GBA games, get a GBA player for the cube. Then it will kind of feel like you are playing snes games.

Smidget

This sort of relates to the topic and I didn't think it was a different enough idea to start a new topic but does anyone else have the problem of starting to play a game and it's fun and all but then you realize there's so much to unlock rhat you just give up? Like I feel the need to try to get every secret, every 100%, every S rank, that I can't even have fun in games if I'm unable to lock everything. I make it a chore. Just wanna hear if anyone else does the same thing with games, console or GBA.

Rain

Banned
Yes, i hate collective games, specially because i feel like i have to collect everything (which i never do because i'm not into going to the same stage hundreds of times or taking the different routes to find everything)...

So i end up pissed... :(

jgkspsx

Smidget said:
This sort of relates to the topic and I didn't think it was a different enough idea to start a new topic but does anyone else have the problem of starting to play a game and it's fun and all but then you realize there's so much to unlock rhat you just give up? Like I feel the need to try to get every secret, every 100%, every S rank, that I can't even have fun in games if I'm unable to lock everything. I make it a chore. Just wanna hear if anyone else does the same thing with games, console or GBA.
This is why I can't frickin' finish a console game. The only game I've finished on console this generation is Sonic Adventure DX, and that's because I was intent on unlocking all the Game Gear games. Never got the last two, though.

Killer 7 will undoubtedly be second. I need to see what happens next :lol

On GBA I've finished every game I've owned 100% except for
Super Monkey Ball Jr. - Master difficulty <- the only place where framerate is a bigger problem than controls
Harmony of Dissonance - Maxim playthough <- and I hated that game!
Advance Wars 2 - I bought it for the multiplayer and mostly suck at strategy games anyway
and my current crop of titles (Astro Boy, Racing Gears Advance, Kururin Paradise, Yoshi's Island). I don't have large amounts of time to play games, so I really appreciate games I can feel I'm making progress in (as opposed to, say, any given modern RPG or Metroid Prime).

yeah, i'm one of those people having a hard time to finish the games.

These are the games i owned for the GBA:

Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance
Metroid (Nes Classic)
Zelda (Nes Classic)
Zelda II: Adventure of Link (Nes Classic)
Zelda: ALTTP/ Four Swords <---couldn't play cuz requires 2 or more people to play
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

The games i completed is:

Zelda
Zelda: ALTTP
Final Fantasy I: Dawn of Souls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games i have hard time finish is:

Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance --- Already at the final boss dungeon and must go thru 3 straight fight and i don't have enough hp (over 220) to sustain those 3 fight. uughg, I don't feel like leveling up some more. So, i taking a break for awhile.

Zelda II: Adventure of Link --- I trying to get past the cave of stupid eye monsters that keep me from getting to the final dungeon. I have max hp and spells but kept dying in the caves. Talk about ownage!!!! :p

Metroid --- for the life of me i couldn't navigate this game cuz it so confusing and hard time staying alive in this game.

FF II: Dawn of Souls --- don't feel like going thru long ass game. Maybe in a few months from now.

Cioran

Jade Knight 08 said:
Metroid --- for the life of me i couldn't navigate this game cuz it so confusing and hard time staying alive in this game.

sell metroid, buy metroid zero mission. classic metroid + map. wheee!

Top Bottom