• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't I shut the (bad) HUD off in every game this gen? Worst Offender: Bungie

It's not even that bad in Destiny. The only annoying part is the giant "super charged" across the middle which is totally unnecessary.

Fisty

If you dont like BF4's hud then try hardcore mode, guy

maxresdefault.jpg

Loomer

I played almost all of Demon's and Dark Souls with no hud, it's pretty tough but incedibly rewarding.

I'm kind of tired of all these clusterfuck HUDs too, and I honestly don't need them in most games.

TMC

Yes! This absolutely drives me insane. I wish every game would provide the option to disable the HUD even if it will impact my experience with the game. Provide me with transparency options at the very least. I am glad DriveClub had this feature because the HUD was almost overpowering.

I am always overly cautious because I have a plasma, but it just looks so much cleaner overall. Ubisoft is usually pretty good at including HUD options, but I wish more developers would take note.

DOWN

Banned
If you dont like BF4's hud then try hardcore mode, guy

maxresdefault.jpg

Please stop posting competitive shots. That's so irrelevant. Competitive is like hardcore stats and huge party/clans mode. Of course that's harder to be clean with. And you can customize the translucency of BF 4 HUD down to 0 if you want it off.

I haven't played Destiny, but I think the shots you posted OP are rather clean for a game like that.

And besides, all those hit markers and tickers you complained about are there because the console crowd has support games that have CONSTANTLY done those features with their wallets.

So it makes sense that if say, COD has these hit tickers, and it sells many, many copies, and other games emulate that and also sell. Then clearly these features are what gamers want and the developers of new games will include them to appease those gamers.
But why can't I shut off my HUD. And no, the indicators shown during Destiny campaign go beyond what most games show. Seriously, numbers flying out for every bullet? I can't shut that off when I have never found it useful?

Destiny's HUD is actually great.

All it needs is the option to make it translucent.
That would have been a nice step. And it should have faded some elements out when not in use. But seriously, why not fade it down to 0 if I want?

Parfait

Destiny has one of the best huds this generation. I've never played it, but just comparing it to something like call of duty or battlefield or even borderlands, it's one of the calmest huds, easily.

I can get behind wanting to customize it how you want, though.

KeRaSh

Making excuses son.

And yes, it's a very busy HUD. That list in the OP is from that one shot along and just adds more space and icons to my screenshot that I hate. And I can't be trying to pause and U pause in battles to try and get shots or HUDless video.

Is there a busier HUD you want to point out to me so I can update the OP?

PS4_Shockwave_deploy.jpg

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Screenshot-5.jpg

Yes, that's from the PC version. Imagine the controller layout being there in the bottom right corner. It's even more intrusive compared to the tucked away keyboard mappings.

Cerity

This is one of the reasons why I liked dishonored so much, every game should have options for individual hud elements. Don't want the babymode markers showing you where to go? don't need them.

Bungie has always been anti-player options. If you disagree with them, you're wrong.

Personally, I'd love some audio options. Let us disable sound effects or music, or that god-awful crucible announcer.

That would have been a nice step. And it should have faded some elements out when not in use. But seriously, why not fade it down to 0 if I want?

This is all I want. Keep the hud as busy as you want, just let me fade it out.

I'm mainly coming at this because Destiny is burnt into my plasma and I'm bitter, but I know it is a feature I love in many games and instantly look for before starting it up.

The one thing that never really set in for me was how much time, effort, and love goes into HUD's until I watched TLoU documentary "Grounded". Made me appreciate them more. Still want to make them more transparent in most games regardless.

Pretty much the entire point of the game is to get the best weapons that do the most damage. Seeing how much damage you're dealing is pretty important. I'm not a huge fan of putting stuff right in the middle of the screen (especially the super charged indicator is really bad), but Destiny's HUD overall is pretty minimalistic. Having options is always nice I guess.

As for being the worst this gen:

That's a load of shit.
At least you can disable the HUD in Killzone and BF.

I don't know about Titanfall.

crops55

Dead Space.

Nothing else to say, just felt like it should be somewhere in this thread as a reminder of what could be.

DOWN

Banned
Of all the awful UIs out there Destiny's is the one that first come to mind?

A lot of other games let me either shut off the HUD, have way less stuff in the HUD, or just aren't pretty enough for me to have ever wanted a screenshot from them.

Dinosur

I have learned to love the Destiny HUD considering the entire bottom left has been burned into my 65VT60 for the last two months and probably won't go away until the middle of next year.

And yes, I say "burned in" because fuck calling things image retention when they're there for over a month. Looking at you Black Flag.

DOWN

Banned
I have learned to love the Destiny HUD considering the entire bottom left has been burned into my 65VT60 for the last two months and probably won't go away until the middle of next year.

And yes, I say "burned in" because fuck calling things image retention when they're there for over a month. Looking at you Black Flag.
You can shut off the Black Flag HUD tho

Karl2177

A lot of other games let me either shut off the HUD, have way less stuff in the HUD, or just aren't pretty enough for me to have ever wanted a screenshot from them.

That's a pretty strict set of metrics (plus no multiplayer HUD) to be gathering the worst HUD.

is not that bad but yes, every game should have an option to take hud elements or make them almost transparent

now, CODAW does everything right except that in the MP

Dinosur

You can shut off the Black Flag HUD tho

The biggest issue with Black Flag was the "you're connected to uplay" icon was associated with the mini map. I had all the HUD turned off except the map and that goddamn uplay thing was on my tv for months.

But yeah, it's awesome fun watching movies and the entire remnants of Destiny's super meter and every possible ammo number as a dark reminder on the screen. Hell, the pulse rife icon is still the prominent one and I haven't used one of those since my Hunter at launch. Been on hand cannons since October.

Long story short, the VT60's fucking suck for gaming and I can't wait to get rid of it even though it's some of the best PQ out there. I shudder to think what Dragon Age is going to do to it when I start playing that next week.

Gundy2010

nothing is more annoying when Titanfall fills your screen with all kind of Challenge Complete messages, it's already hard enough to track pilots flying around in front of me

KingJ2002

The destiny HUD isn't as bad as your making it seem. As others have mentioned there are far worse out there.

I actually think the HUD is very clean for a modern FPS.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Nothing wrong with Destiny's HUD. COD games are a pretty bad offender though when it comes to shit all over the screen.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The less HUD the better. I love it when there's an option to turn it off. Or at the very least make it contextual so that not everything is on all the time.

Omega

Banned
lol OP.

There's dozens of worse examples in here but you choose Destiny? HUD is probably the only thing good Bungie did

Iorv3th

Having your hud off in destiny would be a pretty big challenge. Would hate to play co-op with someone that had it turned off or even more so PvP.

Not being able to see when you have grenades, melee, ammo, super, etc. Would be a mess.

DOWN

Banned
The destiny HUD isn't as bad as your making it seem. As others have mentioned there are far worse out there.

I actually think the HUD is very clean for a modern FPS.
The 'far worse' examples are competitive multiplayer. Destiny looks similar to those in competitive multiplayer. Only Destiny is strictly opaque.

Nothing wrong with Destiny's HUD. COD games are a pretty bad offender though when it comes to shit all over the screen.
Not in single player.
Having your hud off in destiny would be a pretty big challenge. Would hate to play co-op with someone that had it turned off or even more so PvP.

Not being able to see when you have grenades, melee, ammo, super, etc. Would be a mess.
Other shooters allow it. haven't heard about some epidemic of games being ruined by daredevil no HUD players trying to capture co-op with no HUD.

PS4_Shockwave_deploy.jpg

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Screenshot-5.jpg

Yes, that's from the PC version. Imagine the controller layout being there in the bottom right corner. It's even more intrusive compared to the tucked away keyboard mappings.
You posted a competitive shot of Rivals and not that it's good, but it's generally less busy than that shot and with less colors and metrics popping up, I certainly don't think that's more intrusive than Destiny. And the other shot is a game that let's you configure the floating numbers to shut off or allows the entire HUD to be contextual or totally shut off.

Oh, this is one of those threads where the OP responds a million times and just. can't. stop. digging.

It backfired. Move on CannonO.

The biggest issue with Black Flag was the "you're connected to uplay" icon was associated with the mini map. I had all the HUD turned off except the map and that goddamn uplay thing was on my tv for months.

But yeah, it's awesome fun watching movies and the entire remnants of Destiny's super meter and every possible ammo number as a dark reminder on the screen. Hell, the pulse rife icon is still the prominent one and I haven't used one of those since my Hunter at launch. Been on hand cannons since October.

Long story short, the VT60's fucking suck for gaming and I can't wait to get rid of it even though it's some of the best PQ out there. I shudder to think what Dragon Age is going to do to it when I start playing that next week.
The trick to Destiny on a plasma is to change your screen bounds every 7-10 hours, making sure you don't repeat the same bounds within a short period.

lmpaler

Please stop posting competitive shots. That's so irrelevant. Competitive is like hardcore stats and huge party/clans mode. Of course that's harder to be clean with. And you can customize the translucency of BF 4 HUD down to 0 if you want it off.

But why can't I shut off my HUD. And no, the indicators shown during Destiny campaign go beyond what most games show. Seriously, numbers flying out for every bullet? I can't shut that off when I have never found it useful?

Borderlands obviously had a huge influence and if you have played MMO type games you should know that people like seeing big numbers.

Plus how else would you know how much damage you are doing? Have it all in a chat log? That works so some people, but not everyone.

For the same reason you don't get ketchup in (good) restaurants.

Your metaphor is reversed.

Obtrusive HUDs are LIKE getting ketchup in a good restaurant. It interferes with the atmosphere and looks tacky.

However, I don't think the screens shown in the OP are THAT bad, as far as HUDs go. I definitely think hit marks need to go, though.

I can't stand huds at all. A game should make great strides to give as much information to you via audio visual cues as it can. I find it so stupid that a fps will let you aim down the sights and still use a cross hair.

I love turning the huds off, but so many games stop displaying in game visual cues as well, which is not what I'm asking for. Please continue to show me how to interact with the environment while not forcing me to look at a cluttered screen Infamous. Pleeeeeese

I definitely wish we could toggle the HUD in Destiny, but it's not that bothersome IMO except in Crucible. The kill feed on top of medals, waypoints, damage indicators and the fact that your only visual feedback towards doing damage to another player is their health bar (which is obstructed by your gun model) makes it hard to see what's going on at times. Then you have all the AoE grenades...

BokehKing

Banned
Uh. Playing most of these games without HUDs is entirely possible and occasionally preferable. Works great in TLOU and is a minor annoyance at most in Infamous. This is more comparable to a restaraunt pre-drenching your food in ketchup no matter how much you plead.
You just compared two different games, how do you know if you're getting critical hits on enemies with out huds in destiny, and don't tell me 'just aim for the head' because it's not always the sweet spot

bargeparty

The issue is choice. We should be given the option of enabling/disabling any of the hud elements we want including and especially hud opacity. Even the assassins creed games let you customize the hud.

BokehKing

Banned
Bungie has always been anti-player options. If you disagree with them, you're wrong.

Personally, I'd love some audio options. Let us disable sound effects or music, or that god-awful crucible announcer.
What's wrong with Lord Shaxx bro, you got a problem with Nobility?

End of the day OP, would you play Warcraft with no hud so you have zero clue what kind of damage you're doing? You would never know when your weapon is ineffective or how much you're healing for...

Console players are not ready for MMO elements: The Thread, take 52 and...... ACTION

I wish someone from UR would explain why such customization is not enabled.

I'll never understand people dissing Lord Shax as played by Lennie James. He's awesome.

Not really HUD, but hints in Far Cry 3. There are no options to turn those off, because the game apparently thinks you are an idiot.

"Press Shift to run."
"Did you get that?"

I just wish they would give options to either 1. Adjust the opacity/turn off and 2. Allow us the adjust which things on the HUD we want on screen.

Dishonored did it right. I think Driveclub has opacity sliders. Didn't infamous include the options as well?

Also as a plasma owner I HATE most HUDs lol.

DJ_Lae

Not really HUD, but hints in Far Cry 3. There are no options to turn those off, because the game apparently thinks you are an idiot.

"Press Shift to run."
"Did you get that?"

Captain Toad is bad for that recently. Did you forget that the right stick controls the camera? I hope so, because the game is going to remind you every ten seconds.

Sigma722

Dude, this is exactly the problem I have. Same tv model too. Fucking blows, especially since they don't call it something that can be replaced under warranty. I thought the days of IR were over, or else I would have wiped after every session. It's getting close to being gone now, but I still notice it. Pisses me the fuck off.

SystemBug

lol destiny's HUD being bad now. The HUD in Destiny is pretty darn good considering how much needed information it gives you while looking so clean

Top Bottom