• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't I shut the (bad) HUD off in every game this gen? Worst Offender: Bungie

LowSignal

Call of duty advanced warfare, when you get a video call and it takes up 1/4 of the of the screen and your still navigating.

Steel

Banned
I don't mind being able to turn off a hud temporarily to take in the atmosphere/take screenshots, but I hate playing without a HUD and modern minimalistic huds. Give me back those huds that took up 1/4-1/3 of the screen please!
This is probably not a popular opinion

FyreWulff

Section 8 Prejudice let you turn off any component of the HUD you wanted to, up to and including the entire HUD.

Was pretty neat.

So, I've been playing Marathon lately.

marathon_1.jpg

Beautiful. Could you turn off the HUB in the original Mac version?

lt519

Numbers popping out of enemies has it's uses. It lets you know if you are critical hitting enemies and also hoe much damage your element may be doing to a shield. A lot of it is really relevant to split second decisions such as do I have enough secondary ammo to switch over to my pulse rifle to fend off this wave of thrall? Could there be an option? Sure. But it's not that offensive.

SystemUser

I think the OP would have gotten more support by framing this as being about HUD options and not attacking Destiny's HUD. There is no booklet and no tutorial and that HUD does an amazing job of teaching you to play the game.

In some Halo games Bungie included a "Blind" skull that allowed you to disable the main HUD (I think you still kept directional damage feedback and some text messages like checkpoints.) Some Halo games also included a hands down feature in some games that made making videos easier. I think more people would have supported an argument for HUD options than an argument against Destiny's HUD.

BokehKing

Banned
Agreed. The screenshots suck with the HUD on.

People keep thinking I am actually saying Destiny's is one of the artistically bad ones and I'm not, but that's also totally besides the point in a conversation about whether you can turn it off for screenshots.
Learn to take screen shots with out the hud, we learned how back in the alpha and beta (asking a question in ot11 is better than making a confrontational angry post)

Hit options/start
Press O to go back and as you do hit 'share'
Voila, hudless screen shot

Xater

OP you bring this up and then Destiny is your prime offender? That HUD is minimal compared to rest of the games out there.

Call of duty advanced warfare, when you get a video call and it takes up 1/4 of the of the screen and your still navigating.

We payed out of the ass for Spacey so you better show the most of him!

DOWN

Banned
Learn to take screen shots with out the hud, we learned how back in the alpha and beta (asking a question in ot11 is better than making a confrontational angry post)

Hit options/start
Press O to go back and as you do hit 'share'
Voila, hudless screen shot

This is so impractical it hurts that you are suggesting it despite people including myself bringing up this issue all the way back in the Alpha.

Top Bottom