• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why controllers don't have pressure sensitive buttons anymore?

Deerock71

I don't mind that it was taken out of the face buttons but my god Nintendo fucked up not continuing the Gamecube triggers and digital click.

The Wii would have been better if those were on the nunchuck and mote.

And now the Switch. It would be near perfect if it had analog triggers on the joy cons. I'm not buying any racing games on it because I feel like I need the analog triggers.
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

If you were playing a racing game you didn't know if you were accelerating hard or not and you were making more force, it wasn't comfortable.

ThaGuy

On dead or alive 3, Xbox had pressure sensitive buttons that altered the move depending on how hard you pressed the button. But when it became bc for the 360, it ruined the game because you couldn't do most moves on a 360 controller. So the only way to play it the correct way is on the original Xbox.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I hated it for the most part, there wasn't enough feedback to know how much you were pressing the button, like in MGS2 you could slowly put away your gun after drawing it by slowly releasing square, but it's not the same as slowly letting off a trigger, you basically have to use the on screen visuals to know how much you were pressing the button. I'm sure there could be some minor cool uses for it but it seems pretty unnecessary.
Old memories, but I agree with you. I had to press lightly to aim, but I accidentally fired in Sons of Liberty 😐

Xdrive05

Mistaken inputs are worse than not enough inputs.

Yep. Which is also one of the biggest problems with motion controls. Remember Skyward Sword on Wii? Even TP on Wii had occasions where Link would do the opposite of what the player intended for sword swings.

RagnarokIV

For me, it's a greatly missed feature. It was used in GTA, Jak and Daxter 2 onwards for vehicle speed, Ratchet and Clank swim speed. MGS2 and 3 and a lot more.

Since it was ditched by Sony/Xbox we now only have the Retro Fighters Defender as a modern replacement for DualShock controllers.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Even if it had not been for MGS games, I think the intent was racing sims. It's a moot point adding the pressure sensitive controls for that purpose as those who are hardcore in racing sims will purchase racing wheels among other things. If you're playing something like a tactical RPG (e.g. -- Fire Emblem), you're going to be button mashing and that there makes pressure sensitive controls useless. Thing of the number of other games where that'd be the same case and it'll make more sense.

Killer8

As cool as they were in games like MGS2/3, it was ultimately a rarely used feature. The main application for pressure sensitivity - acceleration control in driving games - can be done even better now with triggers.

Top Bottom