• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Activison put a Sierra website up?

Berto

Old Sierra was all about the people and talent working there, but exciting news nevertheless! Gabriel Knight fan here.

Maige

Neo Member
Looks interesting, hoping that sierra comes back would be nice, bu honesly at this point it would be like making a band called "the beatles", I'm willing to bet none of the old staff are coming back, so we might not be getting really good titles like sierra used to develop. Though it's just speculation, right now there's no info so I could be super wrong. I hope I am honestly

JesseZao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjKD38u94w

done
yeah it's PSP

but seriously, this won't happen unless Activision uses ScummVM. Sierra didn't take care of the sourcecode, which means it's not possible for them to port it to another platform. Anyway you can already play it on Android, iPhone, iPad etc.

Just downloaded the ScummVM android version. I can just import my games from the desktop version? I'm not completely versed in the coding for these old dosbox games.

Zertez

Kind of surprised they didnt try to exploit the name years ago. Vivendi has owned Sierra for a long time now and after the merger I figured Activision would have pushed to use the name to cash on the nostalgia of old pc gamers.

jimi_dini

Just downloaded the ScummVM android version. I can just import my games from the desktop version? I'm not completely versed in the coding for these old dosbox games.

You will probably have to add the games after you copied them over. Saved games should be compatible.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seriously how good would it be if they either remade the first one or an completely new opus?

2522354-nolf.jpg
Only if Monolith develops it

Kasper

Still selling in Norway where it's called Urge. True story.

Sounds like I need to take a trip to Norway.

I loved Urge as a kid. Sadly it's been off the shelves in Denmark for ages. The ad campaign they launched the product with (cool kids running around toxic waste barrels and such, if I remember correctly) completely killed it off, as people actually believed a dumb rumor that the drink contained some kind of waste due to the bottle proclaiming "with carbos" - which no one had any idea what meant.

Roberta did Mask of Eternity. Her time with the franchise had come to it's natural ending. It's time for a new take on the King's Quest Saga.

King's Quest 7 wasn't so great, either. The best King's Quest was 6 and that's almost certainly because Jane Jensen did the writing for that one.

JesseZao

King's Quest 7 wasn't so great, either. The best King's Quest was 6 and that's almost certainly because Jane Jensen did the writing for that one.

I never even bothered with 7. It looked too different. I cut my adventure gaming teeth on 3 (wonder if I still have my floppies) and finished 4-6.

mhi

Damn hopefully they get around to remaking this
Alien+Vs+Predator+2+Gold+Edition.jpg

Why don't PC games ever get "remastered" ?

inm8num2

Thank you Telltale for resummoning Sierra. Hopefully this works out.

As far as we know Telltale has had no role in this, though. They had two years to do something with the KQ license but presumably abandoned any plans after striking oil with TWD. In spring 2013 the rights reverted back to Activision.

JesseZao

As far as we know Telltale has had no role in this, though. They had two years to do something with the KQ license but presumably abandoned any plans after striking oil with TWD. In spring 2013 the rights reverted back to Activision.

I was going more for the indirect influence since TWD showed that the mainstream market was ready for these types of games.

I actually didn't even know they had ties to the licence, or I had forgotten, at least.

inm8num2

I was going more for the indirect influence since TWD showed that the mainstream market was ready for these types of games.

That's part of it, definitely, which led into the kickstarter surge in 2012 when Tim and Double Fine decided to make an adventure game (and many others came out of the woodwork to join the party).

I think Activision is largely responding to the kickstarter craze and surge of indie adventure games like Wadjet Eye. They're seemingly acknowledging that an adventure market exists after years and years of ignoring it. Or, they figure that all the people who grew up with Sierra games are now old and financially solvent enough to be ripe for the picking. :p

This is getting interesting.

Hoping for a VR game where you get sucked into a Hi-Rez animated world and get to explore all of the quest game worlds as an outsider.

Plot could be you are in a mall in the real world and notice a hallway that you never noticed before that leads to an old Babbage's software store with a mysterious looking nerd behind the counter. You look at an old shelf of clearance items and notice a box that has been marked down several times, titled "Quest Story". Where the price is supposed to be it just reads "Free to true adventurers". You bring the copy up to the nerd at the counter and he warns you that only true adventurers can play this game and that its cursed. You buy it anyway.

Sitting in your room, you pop it into your gaming device and put on your VR glasses, and are sucked into the world of all sierra adventures. The plot is similar to the one in The Never Ending Story, with the world being swallowed by something similar to "the nothing", but instead of it representing the lack of imagination, it represents the lack of story, innovation, and feeling in modern games. The world of Sierra is slowly being devoured by this mystical nonsense.

You are the only one that can help. You travel across all of the Kings Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, etc worlds, gathering all the Heroes, making friends along the way while revisiting familiar characters you have grown fond of from the original games. The Heroes will be retired, or in other transitional situations as you try to convince them to fight for adventure games and save their world.

Game will be story based, little to no fighting, classic sierra humor, interactive story possibly with Disney style songs and celebrity voice work.

Budget will be $300m with release Holiday 2016. Believe.
Nice work here.

If they are returning the branding then that is going to be awesome news. I would love a return to adventure gaming, been screaming for a new Police Quest Sonny Bonds adventure for years.

Sakwoff

Time has probably taught us that for all the incredible things Roberta Williams did for gaming, she probably wasn't the greatest game designer.

Don't get me wrong, I love her games because they are really charming for the most part, but to enjoy them you have to look past a lot of arcane and incredibly frustrating stuff. Or alternatively use a walkthrough.

You don't even need to go full LucasArts in the usability-department, but a lot of stuff in for example KQ5 is just ridiculous. The sole exception from this is KQ6, the one with, again, significant input by another designer.

MrBud360

Played all Sierra Games. The most enjoyable games i ever played. i hope we get a new season of all classics games. police quest 5, king quest 9, space quest 7, laura Bow, gabriel knight 4, larrys 8, Manhunter 3, Jones in the fast lane 2, Thexder 3, Heart of China 2, Willy Beamish 2, Rise of the Dragon 2, Betrayal at Krondor 2, Swat 5, Heroes Quest 6, Phantasmagoria 3, Conquest of Camelot 2, Conquest of the Longbow 2, Gobliiins. Thats all i want..

actvision could help making a new point and click adventure engine, with all the new technology. Then its only call the ex Sierra designers and the magic will be back. Jane Jensen, Lori and Corey Cole, Jim Walls, Al Lowe, Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy, they are all making games again. maybe Roberta williams could reunite them all. One new engine to rule them all :)

Fantasmo

I would have some serious nostalgia overload if they bring back adventure games.

And none of that point and click stuff either. I'm talking about moving around with arrow keys and typing in swears at the bottom and getting reprimanded by the developer.
LOL, amen brother!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone ever play this:

Probably one of the best games they made and of the best renditions of the Robin Hood legend in any medium.

I even won a free Sierra T-shirt from that game, only contest I won pretty much:p

Oh yeah, I spent many an afternoon as a kid practicing those tunes on my little electronic piano.

raindoc

Well Jane Jensen is definitely doing a remake of Gabriel Knight 1 for Activision with the hope of being able to remake 2 and 3 too so I guess at least GK1 would be part of a new Sierra label.
They made that deal during Janes kickstarter so it might be possible that they are making deals with the other old Sierra PoC designers who have also resurfaced through kickstarters.
The GK1 remake seems to have a really low budget so I don't think they are willing to spend a lot of money on these remakes but I can definitely see a string of old Sierra remakes coming from this.
The Gabriel Knight and the Space Quest games are some of my favorite games from that era so I'm very happy with this possibility even if I would have liked some more budget/effort to make them shine.

nope. if the remastered GK1 sells well, Jensen is hoping to make a new entry to the series.

The inevitable final question was to ask what would be next for Gabriel after the Sins of the Fathers remake is released? Jane answered that additional remakes of Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 were extremely unlikely, considering the format of the originals (The Beast Within’s full motion video and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned’s 3D worlds mean they would need to be almost entirely re-designed). “My goal is to do a new one, to kick off an entirely new game,” Jane said, before adding the caveat, “If we’re successful with this one. We only have the agreements to do this for now. Everything else will have to be ‘wait and see.’”

RPGCrazied

Man, if they revive point n clicks I'll die from a heart attack. Love the Kings Quest and Space Quest games dearly. My childhood right there.

Okay... might want to get excited.

Something from Activision is being sent to retailers right now and all retailers are told to not have the stores open it until Activision gives the go ahead, this is very similar to whats happened with previous Call of Duty games and Assassin's Creed Black Flag last year (that poster or lithograph that was leaked a week early), chances are someone working at a retail location will leak this anyway and we will find out early next week.

Activision generally doesn't send things like this to retailers unless its a specific preorder intensive judging by past experiences I'd say it will likely be a poster preorder bonus for whatever is being announced (or something to that effect), although generally with Activision if they are taking the time to do something like this then its a BIG title for them.

If its Kings quest which sounds like it could possibly be then I'd expect a full on AAA experience.

I hope its awesome, can't wait to find out what it is.

Okay... might want to get excited.

Something from Activision is being sent to retailers right now and all retailers are told to not have the stores open it until Activision gives the go ahead, this is very similar to whats happened with previous Call of Duty games and Assassin's Creed Black Flag last year (that poster or lithograph that was leaked a week early), chances are someone working at a retail location will leak this anyway and we will find out early next week.

Activision generally doesn't send things like this to retailers unless its a specific preorder intensive judging by past experiences I'd say it will likely be a poster preorder bonus for whatever is being announced (or something to that effect), although generally with Activision if they are taking the time to do something like this then its a BIG title for them.

If its Kings quest which sounds like it could possibly be then I'd expect a full on AAA experience.

I hope its awesome, can't wait to find out what it is.

That's a huge stretch ... no one's going to make a AAA adventure game. Couldn't it just be some new unannounced AAA property? Or a sequel or something? What makes you think it's for a Sierra branded game?

Wiktor

Where are all my sierra RTSSSSSsssssssssssss!

Which ones? Activision sold most of Sierra's RTS franchises. Rebellion owns Evil Genuis, Empire Earth, Ground Control and Lords of the Realm/Magic. Gearbox has Homeworld and I'm assuming Hi-Rez has CyberStorm. The only thing of importance remaining at Activision is Casar and it's spin-offs

Top Bottom