• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did I wait so long to but Fire Emblem?

Gruco

Banned
Oh, I know why, the damn EB was out so I bought Mario and Luigi and CIMA instead and then got distraced by school later. Not a very good excuse, I've been desperately wanting a Fire Emblem game for a long time, gotta buy these things so Nintendo stops holding out on us!

Anyways, I love this game. I admit I got pissed by the perma kills a few times! Also, kinda hard to believe there was, like, a ten chapter tutorial....

Right now I'm on a level where snow keeps me from moving and all these magic users have like ten thousand range spells! It took like three turns before I lead Rebecca to her death :( The game has incredibly obvious similarities to Shining Force, but SF never had any levels that insidiously designed, that I can recall. And the magic triangle is pretty cool; much better designed than the ice/fire/thunder trinity you normally see.

One of the things I really like is juggling around the characters that are better suited to certain mission, which to some (albiet small) extent mitigates exploiting experience with just some characters and neglecting others.

Also, if this is the easy Fire Emblem, I'm convinced that I'm terrible at strategy games.

First off: Shining Force ripped off Fire Emblem SO bad, Nintendo should have sued. :p

Second: Rebecca sucks. Rath is all you need in the archery department.

Third: You think this game is hard? Gwarg... This is one of the easiest in the series... And specifically designed for newbie westerners, what with Lyn's story.

Fouth: SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT BUYING THIS THE DAY IT RELEASED.

I am obliged to have at least a token presence in any Fire Emblem thread.

It's pretty tough, but once you accustom yourself to protecting your weaker characters and allowing them to get finishing kills, it gets much easier. You just need to get used to the general feel of where enemies can hit and kill your characters and prevent that.

After dying about a dozen times on mission 26X, I finally wrote down the three characters who were dying over and over, then I wrote down why, and planned out how to prevent that. The game got much easier after that point, but I do cringe a bit at the desriptions I have heard of Thracia 776's difficulty.

Gruco

Banned
Dragona said:
First off: Shining Force ripped off Fire Emblem SO bad, Nintendo should have sued.
Yeah, and yet we still had to we a dozen years more for FE. Jerks!

Third: You think this game is hard? Gwarg... This is one of the easiest in the series... And specifically designed for newbie westerners, what with Lyn's story.
Well I haven't had any problem actually winning, but I've restarted a few times just because I didn't want to lose anyone. Lost more than I ever did with TO, for example, at least that I recall. I think I probably just don't check ranges enough or something.

And my point was more so that if this is the easy one, I know the "real" ones will slaughter me.

And besides, I am a western newb. Still have been too lazy/intimidated to even finish the last three Hard mode missions on AW2....

Well I never had a big problem beating FE without anyone dying. The most trouble I had was trying to level
Nino
up in
Cogs of Destiny
because she's insanely overpowered and kicks megatonnes of ass. :p

Even then, it was a question of just having the right team for the job. Also, my suggestions is to get Lyn and Hector to lv 20 ASAP. They're fucking KILLER.

FE is all about exploiting the game with its overpowered characters half the time.

Alex said:
Fire Emblem rocks. Are we getting the GC one?

We should be getting the GC and new AGB titles. Looks like FE6 (the direct sequel of Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken) is DOA though...

Fire Emblem did 400 000 copies already, if I recall. There is NO EXCUSE.

FE is all about exploiting the game with its overpowered characters half the time.

I know, some characters are fucking tanks. If you're ever in a tight spot you can just send one of them out to soak up a few enemys

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
We should be getting the GC and new AGB titles. Looks like FE6 (the direct sequel of Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken) is DOA though...

Fire Emblem did 400 000 copies already, if I recall. There is NO EXCUSE.

It's well on its way to 400,000. Should be reaching 340,000 or 350,000 when we see July's NPD.

Fire Emblem's been scheduled for a US release (the GC game). I can't believe the sequel to VII, Fire Emblem VI isn't being released at all. Maybe next gen we'll get a Fire Emblem Compilation disc for Revolution (Fire Emblem III-VI).

And I know that snow level you're at. Took me two tries until I finally got a chance to go in and kick some ass. I used some characters who were easily killed (who I never levelled) to distract the magic users while I sent my thief to unlock the doors, and I used my magic guys to constantly heal everyone.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
It's well on its way to 400,000. Should be reaching 340,000 or 350,000 when we see July's NPD.

Fire Emblem's been scheduled for a US release (the GC game). I can't believe the sequel to VII, Fire Emblem VI isn't being released at all. Maybe next gen we'll get a Fire Emblem Compilation disc for Revolution (Fire Emblem III-VI).

VI may be a lost cause, but let's not lose hope on Seima no Kouseki either!

Gruco

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Even then, it was a question of just having the right team for the job. Also, my suggestions is to get Lyn and Hector to lv 20 ASAP. They're fucking KILLER.
Way ahead of you! Lyn up to 20 and promoted, Hector at 20.
Well I never had a big problem beating FE without anyone dying.
Yup, western newb, I knew it :(

cvxfreak

Alex said:
Yeah... I have no idea what anyone is talking about. :(

Although no Fire Emblem game has a number, pretend there is one anyway. The Famicom (note: *NOT* the NES) had Fire Emblem I and Fire Emblem II, although like Zelda II, Fire Emblem II was different. The Super Famicom (note: *NOT* the Super NES) had Fire Emblem III, Fire Emblem IV and Fire Emblem V. In Japan, the GameBoy Advance got Fire Emblem VI and Fire Emblem VII, even though Fire Emblem VI, chronologically and story-line-wise, took place after Fire Emblem VII. The United States got Fire Emblem VII under just the name "Fire Emblem." Now, Japan is getting another Fire Emblem for GameBoy Advance, Fire Emblem VIII. And the GameCube is getting a Fire Emblem, too. Fire Emblem IX. American gamers wish Fire Emblem VI came here, but it won't. American gamers will most likely get Fire Emblem VIII and IX.

There ya go.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Although no Fire Emblem game has a number, pretend there is one anyway. The Famicom (note: *NOT* the NES) had Fire Emblem I and Fire Emblem II, although like Zelda II, Fire Emblem II was different. The Super Famicom (note: *NOT* the Super NES) had Fire Emblem III, Fire Emblem IV and Fire Emblem V. In Japan, the GameBoy Advance got Fire Emblem VI and Fire Emblem VII, even though Fire Emblem VI, chronologically and story-line-wise, took place after Fire Emblem VII. The United States got Fire Emblem VII under just the name "Fire Emblem." Now, Japan is getting another Fire Emblem for GameBoy Advance, Fire Emblem VIII. And the GameCube is getting a Fire Emblem, too. Fire Emblem IX. American gamers wish Fire Emblem VI came here, but it won't. American gamers will most likely get Fire Emblem VIII and IX.

There ya go.

I thought GC FE = VIII and GBA FE 3 = IX.

What's really funny is that Nintendo must be KICKING themselves right now considering all of the games they PASSED UP over the years. Almost 400 000 North American sales ALONE in one of the lesser games of the series. Oh man.

As for FEVI, I remember hearing a long long time ago (just after AGB launch) that Nintendo was working on (or at least kicking the idea around) of remakes for all of the previous Fire Emblem games...

With the popularity of Fire Emblem all over the world now, you'd think they'd get started eh?

cvxfreak

They better get started! :p

It'd be nice if Nintendo did ports for them on the DS or the GBA, how hard could it possibly be? The fact that they could market these games as brand new titles is also a big plus. A compilation disc for the GC would also be nice, but we know how allergic Nintendo is to getting SNES games onto the GC when they could put them on GBA. =/

MASB

Spoiler if you haven't played the game. I've heard that in Level 28 when you're facing off against Linus (or the other brother), Nino can talk to the brother and then she can fight him and he won't attack her. The problem is, when I try to get her to talk to him, they don't have a conversation. Am I doing something wrong, have any of you tried this (and is it true Nino can attack him without getting hurt/killed herself?). If you can't do that, I think it might be better if I just scrape the whole thing and start the game over again, because I don't think my team as it is, can take Linus on without that Nino part being true.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
FE THREAD YAY

I love this game. Congrats on finally getting it Gruco. You suck for waiting so long.

Oh. FE > SF

Dyne

MASB said:
Spoiler if you haven't played the game. I've heard that in Level 28 when you're facing off against Linus (or the other brother), Nino can talk to the brother and then she can fight him and he won't attack her. The problem is, when I try to get her to talk to him, they don't have a conversation. Am I doing something wrong, have any of you tried this (and is it true Nino can attack him without getting hurt/killed herself?). If you can't do that, I think it might be better if I just scrape the whole thing and start the game over again, because I don't think my team as it is, can take Linus on without that Nino part being true.

Just like any support conversation, it's three turns until it appears.

Er, no.

You just run up to him as her, and there is a "Talk" command right away. They'll have a conversation, and then he'll attack her.

To get Guy, it's pretty obvious. Have Matthew go up to him and there'll be a new command in his list: "Talk". Just talk to him and he automatically (albeit reluctantly) joins you. He's kick ass as a Swordmaster, though Lyn would eat him for lunch. :p

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
To get Guy, it's pretty obvious. Have Matthew go up to him and there'll be a new command in his list: "Talk". Just talk to him and he automatically (albeit reluctantly) joins you. He's kick ass as a Swordmaster, though Lyn would eat him for lunch. :p

Oh.. Never used Matthew.

What???

You never used Matthew? He rocks the casbah up and down the coast! Steal! Lockpick! Kick ass! (He almost never gets hit!) Witty one-liners!

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
What???

You never used Matthew? He rocks the casbah up and down the coast! Steal! Lockpick! Kick ass! (He almost never gets hit!) Witty one-liners!

No, never used him for talking with Guy. Used him to pick locks and such though. Never let him get killed since he was pretty damn useful.

Well in the beginning of the campaign, Guy starts talking and mentions Matthew's name. I thought it was pretty obvious. Unless you just didn't take him on that mission... :p

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
Well in the beginning of the campaign, Guy starts talking and mentions Matthew's name. I thought it was pretty obvious. Unless you just didn't take him on that mission... :p

Nope, never did. Nothing to unlock, thus no need for Matthew.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
AniHawk said:
Nope, never did. Nothing to unlock, thus no need for Matthew.

Besides the fact that the guy, Guy. Talks about him saving his life...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Guy/Matthew support convos are freaking hysterical. Matt always taking advantage of poor Guy's honor... hahahaha.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I really enjoyed Fire Emblem, but it was far too easy. Sorta glad to hear it was supposed to be that way.

Top Bottom