• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did this industry get to this point……

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Remote working sucks for efficiency unless you build from the ground up with that in mind, so Covid has incurred huge delays. Delays that would hurt quarterlies and that's not acceptable if you're a publicly-traded company.

Calculation is pretty simple. They'd end up in fighting PR fires either way, so just pushing it out the door is preferable because that way they get some revenue upfront to defer the hit.

Rickyiez

What are you talking about? From is consistently guilty of releasing janky ass games. The fan base is just at Nintendo levels of rose tinted glasses.
Dumbest comment I've ever seen .
  • People complain about terrible level design in recent games - Soulsborne still have amazing level design
  • People complain about lack of content during launch in recent games - Soulsborne still have complete release on Day 1 with hefty DLC that acts as expansion
  • People complain about lack of exploration and handholding in recent games - Soulsborne still excels in self-exploration like the good ol' days
Also Sekiro and Bloodborne(with Chikage) is one of the smoothest and most fluid swordplay combats I've ever played since Metal Gear Revengeance , not sure how is that janky .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
  • People complain about terrible level design in recent games - Soulsborne still have amazing level design
  • People complain about lack of content during launch in recent games - Soulsborne still have complete release on Day 1 with hefty DLC that acts as expansion
  • People complain about lack of exploration and handholding in recent games - Soulsborne still excels in self-exploration like the good ol' days
Also Sekiro and Bloodborne(with Chikage) is one of the smoothest and most fluid swordplay combats I've ever played since Metal Gear Revengeance , not sure how is that janky .

He is a console warrior. You shouldn't expect intelligent discussion. Or discussion in general.

There are elements of profit but other factors exist too e.g. complexity has gone way up. This leads to a one two combo on game quality. Games also release on many platforms nowadays, where they used to be fairly limited in that respect, the skillsets required can be quite different.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am a fan of the games, but come on, they are jank.

ParaSeoul

There are still plenty of quality games coming out,this is like complaining the latest marvel movies are shit so the film industry is dead.

bender

What time is it?
I love consoles

I love warriors.

stephen-curry-123.gif

giphy.gif

FakeKeenBarasinga-max-1mb.gif

Zero7

profit now patch later. Downplay the games issues with some PR spin. It's too easy for them these day's.

we're all just as much to blame as the dev for falling for corporate bs

Last edited:

mxbison

Every industry with lots of money involved will eventually get to that point.

Surprised it took that long for video games tbh.

Thankfully, most digital store front now have a decent refund policy. Also, if you live in the UK, our consumer laws now cover for digital downloads so if your refund is being refused and purchased within the last 14 days, you are entitled to a refund as long you can prove the fault.

chilichote

I don't know when I last bought a current game, but that's exactly one of the reasons I don't. I also save money on the side, but that is not the main motivation, rather that I also get a finished product.

The ability to patch games over the Internet and the need for many to have everything right away are part of this development.

BbMajor7th

Every industry with lots of money involved will eventually get to that point.

Surprised it took that long for video games tbh.
Basically this. Some industries take to capitalism better than others. Video games have become obscenely profitable and in doing so made a rod for their own backs: each year demands growth on the last and that can only be sustained up to a point. What we're seeing now is corporate structure and shareholder demand exerting pressure on companies to find new ways of saving and making money - via new monetisation avenues, creatively vacuous partnerships (sports and movie franchises) and constant restructuring and cost saving measures at the production level. It will continue to get worse, because targets will continue grow.

Top Bottom