• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Quantum Break get a sequel?

ShadowNate

I don't think it did as well as it was expected, considering the quite big budget it must have had. Also, Xbox One timed exclusivity may have hurt it -- although probably not as much as Remedy's last minute deal with Microsoft for Alan Wake did.

I remember reviews criticizing that the live-actor stuff were sometime long or seemed irrelevant to the player's choices (which would affect small background stuff).

But, it is a really well made game and I had fun with the part I've played. It's a hefty install, about ~68GB on PC, btw. I never finished it but I would revisit it again.

Last edited:

Sygma

i dont think Remedy can afford it, Control wasn't that expensive and it didn't make an enormous amount of profit

SaucyJack

Was receieved well by all accounts: https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/0...osofts-biggest-selling-new-ip-this-generation

I understand it had a TV/video part but can't speak to it. Just you could stream or download a lot of video files. But gameplay wise it seems pretty cool especially as I liked Control. Sold well, was left open ended but abandoned. Any reason why?

Sold well you say? Your misconception on that may provide the answer you seek.

TheMan

The QB protagonist was basically the blandest mother fucker they could have possibly created. Like if you tried to describe his look to someone who hadn't seen him before, he's a white guy wearing a leather jacket and jeans. Just not interesting.

Control is a spiritual successor in a lot of ways and has more interesting setting and premise. I think it makes sense they went in that direction.

ShadowNate

Yeah, thankfully Control seems to have reviewed quite better, despite the Epic Store deal.

Remedy develops good games, maybe a bit demanding on the hardware, but they seem to have been on the verge of bankruptcy quite a few times in the last decade or so. Which explains the exclusivity deals of course.

Banned
it was mediocre at best, with all the dumb AAA "cinematic" bullshit that Uncharted and the sort made mainstream.
they even said some of it was inspired by Uncharted... and guess what, that's a bad thing.

then after this they made Control, which ditched all the dumb slow walking, fake puzzle and wannabe cinematic shit and was actually really good.

so I say good that it never got a sequel, because we got Control, which is a hundred times better

Rikkori

The atmosphere in QB was really top notch, and overall they told a time travel story very competently, which is something very hard to do in general. Clearly though the actual gameplay had to take a back seat to it all and they just didn't get enough of it in nor were they able to flesh it out enough. But I honestly ended up liking it much more than Control. It was a bit of an inverse situation - with QB I had a hard time getting into it but then I did and I absolutely loved it, while with Control I loved it at the start but then quickly grew to hate it.

I was obsessed with it for a while last year so I started going down the game's development rabbit hole and my understanding at the end of it was that Microsoft wasn't totally happy with it but more importantly all sorts of issues arose from the TV side which complicated any plans for a sequel, on TOP OF Remedy not being 100% satisfied with how it went and wanting to branch out some more. And then of course reception was kinda mixed, both from fans and in terms of sales, and the PC version had all sorts of problems, etc. So all in all, it was a bit of a cursed game.

Sadly I would say there's no chance we get a sequel.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Quantum Break was meant to be a showcase for MS’ new TV/vidya fusion. It wouldn’t surprise me if they had aspirations to get into the TV business like Netflix and then later Apple. But once that went down the toilet so did any hopes for QB being a franchise.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have the Timeless Collector's Edition of the game for PC. I love the gameplay; it's intense, creative, and very, very fun. However, the game is ridiculously linear and its campaign is too short. In regard to its linearity, most of the maps are literally narrow corridors (e.g. alleyways, sections of bridges, hallways, etc), and in regard to the length of the campaign, I beat the game in a little over six hours on its hardest difficulty. I think that the property has the potential to become a popular and lucrative franchise; due to its gameplay and triple-A quality cutscenes; however, subsequent entries would have to have larger and more complex maps, as well as much longer campaigns.

Banned
One of the best games this generation, as sad as it sounds it just released on the wrong platform, if it released on PlayStation it would have been globally acclaimed, but we know how things work.........

yeah, the standards on the PlayStation side are way lower these days, so it could have been a success there xD
yet another shitty 3rd person AAA wannabe Hollywood shitshow would fit perfectly between shitshows like Uncharted 4 and TLOU.

nah, fuck that game. we got Control instead, and that's a great outcome... after QB I thought Remedy was the next studio I had to throw in the trash pile. glad they turned around and actually tried to make a good game, not GOTY bait bullshit

Last edited:

evanft

It was an Xbox exclusive in a generation where the Xbox got 360-no-scoped by the competition. The TV/game hybrid concept was awkward and dragged the game down. It wasn't that great of a game.

One of the best games this generation, as sad as it sounds it just released on the wrong platform, if it released on PlayStation it would have been globally acclaimed, but we know how things work.........
It has a 76 meta score and falls well short of most of Sonys heavy hitters. It's similer to The Order and were is The Order 2?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
yeah, the standards on the PlayStation side are way lower these days, so it could have been a success there xD
yet another shitty 3rd person AAA wannabe Hollywood shitshow would fit perfectly between shitshows like Uncharted 4 and TLOU.

nah, fuck that game. we got Control instead, and that's a great outcome... after QB I thought Remedy was the next studio I had to throw in the trash pile. glad they turned around and actually tried to make a good game, not GOTY bait bullshit

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last of Us are great games. Sure, they aren't your typical, arcade-style games or multiplayer-focused games, which aren't driven by storytelling as much as they're driven by gameplay. However, they comprise part of a legitimate genre of gaming that we can refer to as Interactive Narratives. Furthermore, despite their heavy focus on stortytelling, their style of gameplay is still very challenging (especially on their hardest difficulties) and therefore requires skill and effort. Also, it should be noted that it's games such as these that push video-game graphics technology forward.

It just wasn’t that good regardless of review score. Wasn’t it one of the first games shown with a tv show tie-in that was part of the “TV TV TV” era? That most likely helped the dampen the sales because it was part of the XB1 launch disaster.

I remember it back when it launched and even then I saw more criticism than praise.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Without spoilers, is Control set in the same universe?
Not really, though theorized?

There are references to games like Alan Wake in the documents of Control. I don't remember any mentions of Quantum Break.

Control was, in my opinion, better than Quantum Break by a large margin. It felt dark, like the original Max Payne. Really loved the atmosphere. Quantum Break was not as heavy and the show made it feel a little less authentic...if that makes sense. It could have been better actors, better art direction. Control is like the Twilight Zone on acid but still makes room for some light hearted moments. As much as people make fun of Jesse (myself included, prior to playing the game) I think her character design was actually the right choice. She was stoic, no bullshit, calculating but also somewhat disturbed by her past. It really is a fantastic game.

Bragr

Banned
Quantum Break was cool, it played well but struggled with the A.I. I thought, the story was interesting but the TV Show wrecked havoc on the pacing. But there is plenty of awesome sections in the game and has some really cool story aspects, it was cool to have Littlefinger as the "villain" too. And the black guy who worked with him was great. It was a bit too ambitious but worth playing for sure.

Iced Arcade

Was a great game BUT the tv episodes between chapters while interesting and we'll done... They really took me out of gaming mode. I like playing games, not watching them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't think it was that great of a game. The live action elements ruined the pacing, the gameplay itself was just... okay at best, and the story itself was rather forgettable. I completed the game and I can't remember anything about the story or characters.

If they do a "sequel", I would rather they connect it to their little multiverse that I heard started to take shape with Control (haven't played it as I am waiting on a used copy to hit 10-15 dollars).

HE1NZ

Banned
There's barely any gameplay in QB, all the money went into cutscenes and visual gimmicks. So there's no way to make a cheaper sequel.

ZywyPL

Banned
I absolutely love the game, sadly it wasn't well received and didn't sell well, but that cliffhanger does leave an open door for a sequel, so who knows, maybe MS will be willing to give it a second chance in the future.

Top Bottom