• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Quantum Break get a sequel?

Skifi28

It was an "ok" game, but other than production values not much to write home about, haven't even thought about it ever since I finished it. I can't imagine it was cheap either if you included the TV stuff and all the marketing. I hope control which I just bought is going to be better.

This game was great but not enought people bought it and it had the stigma from when xbox one was first anounced still. I hope it still gets one one day

Griffon

The shooting with powers was fun (on PC at least). The story-telling was dogshit, the FMVs were horrible.

We don't need a sequel, just let Remedy make different games with the same kind of gameplay.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I really wanted to see a sequel where he “Butterfly Effects” the first game over and over to
Save her

I imagine it would have been expensive to get all those actors back.

The gameplay was tight if you used the moves, and the TV segments weren’t that bad. I pretended I was watching a series on the ScyFy channel during the episodes.

It could have been more interesting if they let you make a few choices during the show (Like Late Shift)

But overall it was a good game that got basted by the media, because Xbox.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It didn't sell very well did it? I also don'r recall it being accepted particularly well, a death tone for an exclusive on a second ran console competitor.

Ivory Blood

Control is a much better game anyway, and it's getting some really juicy DLC later this summer, with rumors of a sequel already in production.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Confirmation bias isn’t a good reason to dismiss a game.

First I don't think you understand the definition of confirmation bias. Not trying to be combative but please Google the term.

I'm also not trying to be mean or warring, I own a Xbox One X and enjoy Game Pass, but the Switch came out around four years later and managed to outsell the One in a short time - while their direct competitor has outsold them something in the ball park of 2-to-1, while releasing great exclusives like clockwork while the Xbox brand doesn't.

I don't work for any of these companies. No teeth in the game. I'm just calling it out as it is, and at this point the One is an also ran.

Edit: Missed the major point. We were discussing why it didn't get a sequel. Which I think all of the above posts and the reality of the industry spell out.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
First I don't think you understand the definition of confirmation bias. Not trying to be combative but please Google the term.

I'm also not trying to be mean or warring, I own a Xbox One X and enjoy Game Pass, but the Switch came out around four years later and managed to outsell the One in a short time - while their direct competitor has outsold them something in the ball park of 2-to-1, while releasing great exclusives like clockwork while the Xbox brand doesn't.

I don't work for any of these companies. No teeth in the game. I'm just calling it out as it is, and at this point the One is an also ran.
Not really sure what overall console sales have to do with a game and if it’s deserving of a sequel, but here we are.

The confirmation bias I was referring to was within the “critic” community, but this post brought some new insight.

xrnzaaas

Remedy games generally aren't sales hits, but I think Quantum Break has performed the worst out of their big titles. Personally I wouldn't mind having a sequel. They should just ditch the FMV cut-scenes. It's nice they weren't afraid to experiment with combining tv shows and games, but ultimately they failed imo. The FMV's made it difficult to hide the budget and most of all it was boring to watch a 20 minute clip without doing anything gaming related.

Kagey K

Banned
Remedy games generally aren't sales hits, but I think Quantum Break has performed the worst out of their big titles. Personally I wouldn't mind having a sequel. They should just ditch the FMV cut-scenes. It's nice they weren't afraid to experiment with combining tv shows and games, but ultimately they failed imo. The FMV's made it difficult to hide the budget and most of all it was boring to watch a 20 minute clip without doing anything gaming related.

Lol somehow having digital versions of people makes it more interesting?

Either way you are sitting and watching for 20 mins.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because it was a piece of shit with least remedy fun quirks, bad tv show and punchable face protagonist... Who had a normal face in trailers

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Lol somehow having digital versions of people makes it more interesting?

Either way you are sitting and watching for 20 mins.
What I meant was there weren't any interactive bits. It doesn't matter if it's live action or digital. They should've interrupted the episodes with choices or some other interactive stuff.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What I meant was there weren't any interactive bits. It doesn't matter if it's live action or digital. They should've interrupted the episodes with choices or some other interactive bits.
How is that any different then non interactive 20 min cutscenes in games?

xrnzaaas

Let me say this clearly so you'll understand - I don't care if it's a live action cut-scene or a digital cut-scene. Both suck if you're going to watch them for 20 minutes without doing anything. In both cases the problem can be resolved by making shorter cut-scenes or by adding choices like in many interactive movie games I actually enjoy playing.

Moriah20

The live action stuff being so long (and existing in the first place) combined with the game spamming lore documents absolutely every step of the way really brought down an otherwise great, interesting action game.
Funnily enough you can actually skip over all the live action stuff and still understand everything in the story just fine. They're really only there to develop some characters anr provide extra context. It's a neat idea but I highly doubt this was the original concept for the game, it feels more like an attempt at salvaging a bunch of already shot material.

Ignoring all that fluff though it's a legit interesting and fun game - the story is cool, the time travel stuff ties into the gameplay really well, the set pieces look incredible and the powers in my opinion are way more fun than Control. In fac,t I enjoyed this game faaar more than Control.

Rien

Jelly Belly
The game itself wasn’t bad at all. There was some fun combat and great set pieces. Story was interesting.

Final boss battle was utter shit tho and what sucked even was more was the fucking tv show. That shit should had be done in the game engine itself if they wanted ir so much.
It felt forced, bad acted and plastic. Try hard stuff that Microsoft needs to show once in a while. Best would be to not doing that at all and adding some more length to game coz it could use a bit more imo.

Larlight

It was a overhyped game that didn’t deserve the hype that it received. It was a mediocre game with TERRIBLE AI. I remember Angry Joe literally leaving his character in the middle of a gunfight to go on break for an hour and the AI still didn’t kill his character. Just straight up shooting bullets past his head like a damn stormtrooper. 🤣 The TV cutscenes were whack. If you want to be comparing it to PlayStation cinematic exclusives, atleast have the cutscenes be in game graphics. But, I assume there won’t be a sequel because Remedy got burned by Xbox one too many times by making their games exclusive like Alan Wake and this game. That’s why they’re multiplatform devs for the most part nowadays.

Patrick S.

Banned
It was a overhyped game that didn’t deserve the hype that it received. It was a mediocre game with TERRIBLE AI. I remember Angry Joe literally leaving his character in the middle of a gunfight to go on break for an hour and the AI still didn’t kill his character. Just straight up shooting bullets past his head like a damn stormtrooper. 🤣 The TV cutscenes were whack. If you want to be comparing it to PlayStation cinematic exclusives, atleast have the cutscenes be in game graphics. But, I assume there won’t be a sequel because Remedy got burned by Xbox one too many times by making their games exclusive like Alan Wake and this game. That’s why they’re multiplatform devs for the most part nowadays.

AJ is a buffoon. This game is a lot of fun, I'm playing it again right now.

Valt7786

The QB protagonist was basically the blandest mother fucker they could have possibly created. Like if you tried to describe his look to someone who hadn't seen him before, he's a white guy wearing a leather jacket and jeans. Just not interesting.

Control is a spiritual successor in a lot of ways and has more interesting setting and premise. I think it makes sense they went in that direction.

I mean...I love Control to bits, one of the coolest games i've played in a long time but you can put that very same criticism of the main character to it. It's literally a white girl in a leather jacket and jeans.

Trunim

The QB protagonist was basically the blandest mother fucker they could have possibly created. Like if you tried to describe his look to someone who hadn't seen him before, he's a white guy wearing a leather jacket and jeans. Just not interesting.

Control is a spiritual successor in a lot of ways and has more interesting setting and premise. I think it makes sense they went in that direction.
Isn't the protagonist in Control white, wearing a leather jacket and jeans? Could be wrong. Maybe it's just a Finnish thing.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I enjoyed Control a lot and downloaded Quantum break because I never played it....it sucked. Characters were as bland and boring as they come. Gunplay was trash and no where near as fun as it was in Control. Uninstalled it after about an hour.

wipeout364

To be honest every Remedy game feels like a sequel to the previous one since they have essentially been playing with the same mechanics since Max Payne. Don't get me wrong I say this as a huge Remedy fan, I loved Quantum Break, as well as Control, Max Payne and my favorite Remedy game Alan Wake.

K' Dash

it did, it's called Control.

And everything is in the Alan Wake universe anyway, so Control and QB are actually Alan Wake sequels where he's trying to write his way out of the lake, which isn't a big surprise if you follow the lore closely.

Patrick S.

Banned
Man, the Littlefinger/Serene actor is so awesome. Was one of my favorite characters in Game of Thrones as well. The guy really has an incredible presence.

If a video game doesn't get a sequel, it's either because it bombed, or they instead do a spiritual successor in order to put it on my more platforms.

I bet Quantum Break would have succeeded if xbox game pass exist when the game released. In fact, there is a high probability that Microsoft would've bought Remedy games.

Played it about 2 hours during steam sale and refunded it.

It seemed pretty bland, visually, but the story seemed interesting, but the second I got to the first TV episode I just couldn't help but quit the game.

TBH, I refunded it so I could use the funds for CP2077, but this game is so cheap anyway that i'll probably give it another shot since so many of you seemed to like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom